Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
He's special. His made up rules don't apply to himself.

Quite a few posters in this thread are doing that. Conservatives usually blame others for what they themselves are guilty of. This entire thread makes sense if you read it in that context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blunt Conservative View Post
I've read that on many occasions. I was only a child in the '70's, so much of my experience comes from the "new" left and their tyranny.

I suspect it'll only get worse, and the next generation will experience an even more radical left.

I'll certainly do my part.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You keep dreaming. US is about to wipe out the one person keeping Republicans from dominating all aspects of the US political landscape.
I think I understand where you're coming from in view of the fact that the Republican Party is the majority party in both the US House of Representatives, the US Senate, and the majority of Governorships in the states. Before anyone is flushed with a sense of GOP triumphalism I would suggest the political situation is far more complicated than that. It is worth noting that most of the big cities in the US are pretty much in the hands of the Democrats. I believe the Judiciary branch of government leans closer to the Democrats rather the Republicans ... how can I say that when 5 of the Supreme Court justices were nominated by Republican presidents you may ask? ... well that didn't stop them from upholding Obamacare nor from making legal same sex marriage the law of the land, right?!?!

Let's face it: the Republicans right now is a splintered party. The Democrats in the past were also divided, especially in the years where there was a 'northern Democrat' and a 'southern Dixiecrat' split.

As mighty as the GOP might seem, they can't even pass a popular bill concerning the so-called sanctuary cities bill which is attempting to deal with illegal immigrants. They aren't mighty enough to stop raising the debt ceiling or defund Planned Parenthood. They can't override an Obama veto. They have wisely given up any attempt to overturn legal gay marriage, much to Huckabee's and Santorum's despair.

I'm old enough to see the political winds blowing in absolutely different directions every 2, 4 or 8 years. One year Richard Nixon is resoundingly re-elected and bragging about his "mandate" and the next year he is resigning in disgrace.

CAPICHE ???

Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Canadian politics are not a lot different than US politics...

http://i.imgur.com/8lI52qx.jpg

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 PM

17,792 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blunt Conservative View Post
I've read that on many occasions. I was only a child in the '70's, so much of my experience comes from the "new" left and their tyranny.

I suspect it'll only get worse, and the next generation will experience an even more radical left.
I was all grown up in the '70s.

What has really happened is that the right has evolved to where the majority of conservatives are where the Birchers were back then.............and back then bircher types were considered kooks by mainstream conservatives.

And this is perfectly illustrated by my comments about Cornel West (a true leftist) considering Obama too conservative while you consider him an extreme leftist. Sadly, conservatives have gotten to where anybody who isn't as far right as they are is identified as an 'extreme leftist'.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 PM

358 posts, read 283,008 times
Let's hope so!!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:52 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Its a mistake to try and correlate other countries political actions with our own, for the most part they really can't be correlated well. Sure some things can correlate, such as economy, and re-election of incumbents, but trying to compare the Canadians right wing to the US is a mistake.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Our northern neighbors have had enough with their brand of conservatives (they would be liberals here) and voted in the liberal party. The even did a "Bush" voting for a dynasty candidate. Voting against the interests of wealth, privilege, and political cronyism has been a trend we are seeing around the world. There could be lessons for the US in this.
Wishful thinking for you....eh?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As long as the democrats keeping harping on guns the Republicans are going to be tough to oust from Senate control.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought 2014 mid terms were going to go that badly for the dems but then Hillary got out on the pre-campaign trail talking about guns and the close races in rural fly-over country all went Repub.

I personally think there is a good chance Hillary did that to lame duck Obama and back-hand Biden with the same swipe.
2014 was bad because of low turn out, not because people decided to vote against Democrats, even republican turnout was down.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 PM

42 posts, read 27,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And this is perfectly illustrated by my comments about Cornel West (a true leftist) considering Obama too conservative while you consider him an extreme leftist. Sadly, conservatives have gotten to where anybody who isn't as far right as they are is identified as an 'extreme leftist'.
I believe the left has made a radical shift, hence the right having to move further right to counteract it. They're out of control. They're more than willing to destroy western society in order to uphold their unrealistic and suicidal ideals.

I find most conservatives to be pretty moderate, they need to move further right. Not to be alarmist, but I believe if the left keeps pushing, then you'll really see extreme right wing groups popping up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies