Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

Europe has some great ideas arguably when it comes to big bold acts by the government. Which of these, other than healthcare, should the US enact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,980 times
None, let's... Keep America great and watch them fail !

Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Infrastructure funding

Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
How about all the things they do that US liberals conveniently forget about? No birthright citizenship, strict and enforced immigration laws, everyone paying taxes (they don't have a 47%), work requirements for welfare.

Many EU countries also seem to have a much better attitude toward tradeskills than the established US education system has, adopting that in some form would be better than what we have today.

Plus of course reducing military spending and let every other country defend themselves and fund their own defense.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:00 PM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
close borders and deport aliens EU gets ready to lock up, deport migrants

Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 PM

599 posts, read 401,891 times
I have admired Portugals drug regulation system since 2014. The United States has failed in it's War On Drugs and if anything made it worse. It's time we legalize, regulate and tax the use of drugs in this country. We will lower drug consumption and overdoses under legalization and with reasonable taxation drug users will purchase drugs created in the United States are a heavily regulated system instead of relying on the black market. It's very possible and in a country that is considered free I believe that it is time we legalize drugs. I can be more specific if anyone ask.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Another issue that I somewhat admire on Europe is the Schengen Area though only with the country of Canada. This law allows Europeans to travel to any EU member state without having to get a passport or stop at customs. Now if that was implemented in the United States I would only want it to apply along the world's most friendliest unguarded border and that is the U.S.- Canadian Border. Canada is just like us a first world nation why cannot we give it a try I highly doubt millions of Canadians are going to pour over the border into the U.S. and vice versa.

I do not support this plan along the U.S.- Mexico Border as Mexico in my opinion is in a state of anarchy, filled with corruption and areas especially on the northern border with the U.S. are currently occupied by Drug Cartels who use extrajudicial killing, racketeering and extortion to terrorize the population. I am in no way racist towards Hispanics I just believe that Mexico isn't like Spain which is a first world nation. Another issue is the large immigration influx if we did not have a border with Mexico.

I believe I have suggested two reasonable proposals that would work in this country.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Get private money out of the elections, because it is little more than legalized bribery.
Overturn Citizen's United, do away with corporate personhood and the electoral college.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Public funding of elections so every candidate can run on the policies that are best for the people, instead of running around begging rich people for donations.

Every full time worker having 5 weeks paid vacation per year to improve health, family connections and productivity.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakvale View Post
Europe has some great ideas arguably when it comes to big bold acts by the government. Which of these, other than healthcare, should the US enact?
Each state should secede from the union to avoid the responsibility of coming together to address crisies outside each country/state's border except to gather to work out the wording to issue stinging rhetoric when confronted with conflict.

Allow smoking in restaurants.

Look down upon people from adjoing states.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:42 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Just healthcare and better public transportation such as trains and subways. Europe unemployment is 11% versus 5.1% in the USA. They also have a much lower average income and wealth. We can adopt the 30 hour work week with the understanding that it most likely will result in lower incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies