Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 05:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Where do these "bad guys" of yours get their guns? Many of them of course simply steal guns from those you think of as the "good guys". What would you say to taking the model of licensing and registration currently used for automobiles, and applying that to guns? Then if a gun used in a crime were recovered and traced back to you as the registered owner, you'd do a minimum five-year sentence for a first offense. Do you think that sort of thing might be enough to convince gun owners to do a better job of protecting their guns and keeping the rest of us safer from them?
And if someone steals your car, runs over a little kid then you should go to jail?

Anti gun people seem to have little common sense.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 AM

922 posts, read 806,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Per gun owned, the USA has among the lowest gun violence rate of developed countries.

Keep drinking that Kool'aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
"People believe most fervently that which they understand least." (Pliny the Elder)

And I doubt I will change anyone's mind. (*Sigh*) But from the criminology side, here's my take:

Violent crime against persons are at their lowest rate since 1994. Google the FBI's UCR data and look at Table 1.

Better yet, compare the death by firearm rate with death by motor vehicle rate. Cars kill more people every year than guns do. And that includes suicides (which make up a very significant portion of firearm death rates).

The part of the rifle that fires the bullet is called 'the upper receiver group.' The scary looking part, which politicians have dubbed the 'assault rifle' is called the lower receiver group. It consists of the stock and forward grips. On many models, it is interchangeable with the same stock and forward grip you would see on a ranch rifle out west.

That's right, the definition of 'assault rifle' is its fancy handles - that's it.

Study after study has shown that mass shooters intentionally select places where victims are most vulnerable (read: unable to defend themselves) because the resulting publicity will be greatest. That means schools. This is not new; it's been going on since at least the 1950s. Investigations have repeatedly shown that the latest shooter studied the previous several shooters. And the worst massacres? Not in the US. (I believe Denmark and Russia share that honor.)

What has changed is the amount of media coverage - much of it invented in the competitive pursuit of ratings - that has sensationalized violence. Take Ferguson MO. A 6'6", 280 pound strong armed robber with an extensive criminal history tries to beat up a cop and steal his gun. The cop shoots the robber, who then dies. The media instantly headlines this, "White policeman kills unarmed black teen." The "black live matter" movement is created (ironically, by a white guy who 'self-identifies' as black) and "hands up; don't shoot" becomes a protest mantra based on the false statements of a witness who was proven to have lied. The media sensationalizes all of this.

So if you want to save lives, outlaw cars. If you want to deter mass shooters, remove the publicity. (BTW - Good job by that Oregon sheriff who prohibited anyone in his department of saying the name of the shooter at his community college.) If you want to stop the sensationalism of violence, cancel your cable TV service. And if you don't want to be a victim, don't be vulnerable.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Gun registration precedes gun confiscation .
the criminals weapon of choice is the easily concealed hand gun.
The government is not afraid of hand guns.
In the event of martial law the government the rifle particularly the military rifles present a far greater threat to a corrupt government. HISTORY HAS PROVEN IT REPEATIDLY.
And this government is proving it in spades.
The sandy hook incident is a false flag , As it is, for a fact, the rifle was found in the kids trunk, it was never used in that staged event.
No one was allowed inside to examine the walls and bullet holes if any .gee I wonder why ?
The fact it was built on a toxic land fill and out of service as a school for a long time and then re opened just long enough to stage an event and then all of a sudden many the homes in that area are all paid off at the very same time so amazing.
Sandy hook was a phony the FBI records no deaths at that time there.
A great many incidents the FBI are responsible for false flag events as well ,and according to reports the people that were caught were found to have used the same drug prescribed by psychiatrists.
Psychiatrists should be held responsible for failure to control their patients . charges should be filed. Drug companies should be responsible. FDA should be responsible, . parents that raised the child should be responsible .
But it's all swept under the rug. but reused over and over in politics as though it were fact.

Evil people will do evil things, and the tools will very, but the laws do not protect the innocent in the event, only the victim "if they live" after the event.
But there is never compensation on the criminals part. making it a successful crime.
Then the public foots the bill for damages ,"those of us who pay taxes"
So the criminal not only is a liability to a victim but to society as well. and you want to protect the criminal.
I do not believe registration makes a difference simply because no one knows the state of a person over time and it's not right to prejudge people do change for the better too.
If a gun is kept too securely it becomes unavailable for use in an emergency ,so that doesn't work.
Proper training and regular conversation in public over gun safety and handling should be free and with out fear of repercussion from the anti gunners.
children should be taught exactly what a gun does as a machine ,like the toaster or car treat them with respect and you wont hurt your self or others.
Kids need to see the news, and the fact people die and are killed in battle, and it is the hate and greed that drives men to kill . the gun is not guilty nor are the tires on the humve guilty though they were a part of the transporting the weapons and people of war .
People are responsible, you are responsible .

Last edited by arleigh; 10-23-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
One more thing I'd like to add ,
Distancing one's self from an event does not help one to appreciate the severity of the event.
During Katrina watching it from California my heart went out to the victims and the terrible tragedy is was . the city officials should have been jailed while the flood was rising. for having abuse the money given to fix the levy before it went critical.
But I observed some folk watching the event on the news here and they said, " I don't care ,it's not happening here ."
I learned to appreciate these events growing up, because often time we had events of our own, being snowed in for a week or so, and only able to go post-holing through the snow to get to town, and find no one else got out either to open the stores. go figure .
Children should not be shielded from real life ,In fact growing up with real life and seeing tragedy, life becomes more precious not less.
People are so sheltered in this society, paramedics can't stay at it very long, it is such a jar to the delicate sensibilities .
However those that have grown up with real life deal with emergencies far better. Dealing with real life here is about to get a lot more real like it is in the middle east , are you ready for it?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:28 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
These daily and weekly shooting in and around the Nation, in every state, then there is the madness in particular to focus on The ArklaTex, has gone far enough. Whether it's Shreveport, Texarkana, Marshall, or further South. Focus is also on the killing frenzy in Big Major Metro's, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, and many many many other cities.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!!!

There has to be a crack down - I don't care about the Gun obsessed advocates and their whining. I own guns, I have no problem with a program that demands re-registration into a national data base, with finger prints and photo required, as well as controls on individual sellers, to have to submit a form to the Local Police Department in their area and wait for an authorization to sell a gun to another individual. it does not matter if its a Hand Gun or any kind of gun, including shot guns, The seller and the purchaser needs to have a background check performed before the police give the authorization to transfer ownership of guns from one person to another.

Then we can move toward a program to random gun check, on people in the streets, potential or suspected gang members, or anyone who has and fits what ever the profile is in questionable situations of a potential criminal intent, or domestic violence or other types of categories which pose potential threat, or harm to others.

We can't go on with some bland and wild west style mentality of fighting against some maintenance managmement of who has guns and who does not. I don't care if they ban "Assault Weapons", as far as I'm concerned they have no place in the general public domain, they should be relegated to Police, and Military ownerships and usage. PERIOD. iT IS NOT A SPORT'S HUNTING WEAPON - it is an Assault Weapon. PERIOD. Trying to pretend otherwise is an insanity. Trying to justify it for Sports Hunting should be classified as cruelty to animals. there are many justifications to get these things out of the hands of average citizens.
Purchasing Amo is another matter that has to be addressed. No sale without a form stating what the intented use is. We can go as far as having people to bring in the expended casing, if they expect to purchase additional amo.

I'm sure this post will get a big backlash of controversy, but rather than slamming everything, if you can't offer potential solutions, the posting a bunch of contrite commentary is not promoting anything toward solving the matter of guns in the wrong hands.

It would be treat is there was such a thing as 100% Responsible Gun Ownership - but that is not reality and that certain is not a true fact in America. I am not against Gun Ownership - But we certainly should have some controls over Management Maintenance and National Data systems which profile who is the gun owner and what type of guns do they own.
Gun Manufactuers should be made to build "chip technology" within every weapons produced", and embed it in a way that it cannot be easily removed. Anyone caught with an altered chip, or a removed chip, They are dealt with through the Law Encorcement system and ATF; treat it the same as "counterfieting" with mandatory still penalty.

Then... there is the craziness of 'Domestic Violence" with people killing the whole family, behind some emotional squabble, economic set back and broken relationship. Why don't we have a campaign of some sort, that emphasis, "Don't Run to the Gun - find a soultion to preserve life".
We need a Campaign to Teach Kids, - "Killing Does not Solve Problems or Challenges in Building a Good Life".

We can talk all do and put management maintenance data systems to gun ownership, but even still if we don't reach the hearts and minds of people, even those who have guns and they are within the data base and their picture and finger prints are registered. If they don't have focus given to the mental and social aspects and concepts about how to make their life work. These people can be killers, the same as people in any given situation.

People can find many means to kill, but we need not make grabbing a gun such a easy option. We should not make having acces to get a gun such a easy options, We can make it a Responsible Choice. We can set up mandatory training for people who purchase guns, be it via private purchase or via gun dealers. There should be some mandatory " Responsibility Session" people must attend.
  • You can't just go buy and car and start driving, you have to pass a test and be issued a license.
  • Why should people be allowed to buy a gun and just be loose to go start shooting it?
I don't agree with every drop of this post, but yeah, you need training and a license if you're going to carry a deadly weapon. AND a mental-health evaluation before you buy one.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:36 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Where do these "bad guys" of yours get their guns? Many of them of course simply steal guns from those you think of as the "good guys". What would you say to taking the model of licensing and registration currently used for automobiles, and applying that to guns? Then if a gun used in a crime were recovered and traced back to you as the registered owner, you'd do a minimum five-year sentence for a first offense. Do you think that sort of thing might be enough to convince gun owners to do a better job of protecting their guns and keeping the rest of us safer from them?
With the rate of car theft in the US that would make a difference how?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I don't agree with every drop of this post, but yeah, you need training and a license if you're going to carry a deadly weapon. AND a mental-health evaluation before you buy one.
I had to pass a test, pay expensive fees for a background check and wait 10 days. What more should I have to do?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:42 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I'm sure that would never be abused by your friendly government officials ....

Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

I don't care about the Gun obsessed advocates and their whining
Too bad, our vote counts just as yours.

Stop blaming the failures of our society on gun owners.

The tattoo-covered, gang banger looking low life who just killed a child in NM had a whole litany of charges - mainly assault and battery - that have been brought up against him and then dropped over and over and over again. He should've been in prison long time ago. That's the real problem. The generations of ghetto thugs that never worked a day in their life and are considering everyone a prey are the real problem. Many tens of millions of illegal firearms that they possess are the real problem. People who push for disarming the law abiding gun owner while keeping these illegal guns in the hands of criminals are part of that real problem.

And the crime rate had been falling just as the rate of legal gun ownership had been increasing at an exponential scale in the past decade. No amount of leftist propaganda will change this simple fact.

How did that Change work out for you under Obama, by the way ? Any Wall Street fraudsters in jail so far, or any other wars we didn't get into on his watch ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies