Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Second, gun violence has dropped by 50% in the last 20 years
It is down a lot but you wouldn't know that from the news. The news media drives the falsehood that crime and murder specifically is at an all time high.
Good luck with this common sense fact. I've been spouting it on this thread and others to absolutely no avail. People don't want to hear it.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Amen man... I'd be okay with smaller guns sold to people who meet certain common sense criteria, but with the free for all shenanigans we have in place now... just yank em until we've proven we can own them responsibly. Lol, it's the same way I treat my toddler. "If you can't play with your toy nicely, then you won't play at all!!"
Problem with that analogy is you are dealing with one child and his behavior. What you are proposing is more analogous to saying "Since YOU can't play with your toy nicely I am banning the entire school from having any toys".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So you're saying to have a cosmetic, feel-good crackdown even if it has no effect?
EXACTLY what he and most of the others have been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Second, gun violence has dropped by 50% in the last 20 years
It is down a lot but you wouldn't know that from the news. The news media drives the falsehood that crime and murder specifically is at an all time high.
They don't care about facts. Or data. Emotions can't handle rational thought.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post

They don't care about facts. Or data. Emotions can't handle rational thought.
Sheeze, you are not kidding.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM

31,029 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good luck with this common sense fact. I've been spouting it on this thread and others to absolutely no avail. People don't want to hear it.
I think they are so comfortable with lying on multiple topics it just doesn't matter to them

Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If the homies in the hood want to shoot each other, meh, who cares......

#1 reason gun control will NEVER work is because any half decent machinist can make one, and guess who works those blue collar jobs

To completely rid this country of guns you would have to confiscate every machine tool in existence, and exterminate anyone with the knowledge to make one. Even then I can go into any hardware store and buy some pipe and a few fittings and make a crude but deadly single shot gun

The gun haters don't get that.
Guns are pretty simple mechanically.
The black market will thrive.
They also think that fancy biometrics will stop unauthorized use.
I bet those measures are rather easy to bypass.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
  • You can't just go buy and car and start driving, you have to pass a test and be issued a license.
  • Why should people be allowed to buy a gun and just be loose to go start shooting it?
When I was a kid I drove off in my dads car. He did not like it too much and I did not like the results of my actions.

That being said, and since I was only a 14 year old kid, I know of others that drive cars without a license. Some have lost it because of a DUI and continue to drive without it. Others could never get one for some reason. Plenty of people steal other peoples cars as well. These are not the law abiding people that most of us know. These are people that, like me, broke the law when they decided to get behind the wheel of a car.

I don't think that the bad people with guns are walking into a gun store and buying guns. Plenty of places that you can find a gun. I bet i could drive down to Tijuana and buy some guns today and no one would ever know about them.

Gun laws, which is kind of funny anyway, because our Constitution allows guns, do not apply to those that would brake the law. Gun laws are made to keep guns out of the hands of the good people. A lot of people out there want to get rid of our Constitution and they are doing anything they can to rip it to shreds. These same people want to destroy our way of life. They don't want We the People to have the freedoms we have. Gun laws will not hurt criminals. Do you really think that the bad guys will follow a gun law?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by author1986 View Post
Still waiting for someone to explain how tougher gun laws would prevent the scenario I provided.
It's going to be a REALLY long wait.

Gun laws will not end gun violence, gun accidents or gun suicides.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
These daily and weekly shooting in and around the Nation, in every state, then there is the madness in particular to focus on The ArklaTex, has gone far enough. Whether it's Shreveport, Texarkana, Marshall, or further South. Focus is also on the killing frenzy in Big Major Metro's, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, and many many many other cities.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!!!

There has to be a crack down - I don't care about the Gun obsessed advocates and their whining. I own guns, I have no problem with a program that demands re-registration into a national data base, with finger prints and photo required, as well as controls on individual sellers, to have to submit a form to the Local Police Department in their area and wait for an authorization to sell a gun to another individual. it does not matter if its a Hand Gun or any kind of gun, including shot guns, The seller and the purchaser needs to have a background check performed before the police give the authorization to transfer ownership of guns from one person to another.

Then we can move toward a program to random gun check, on people in the streets, potential or suspected gang members, or anyone who has and fits what ever the profile is in questionable situations of a potential criminal intent, or domestic violence or other types of categories which pose potential threat, or harm to others.

We can't go on with some bland and wild west style mentality of fighting against some maintenance managmement of who has guns and who does not. I don't care if they ban "Assault Weapons", as far as I'm concerned they have no place in the general public domain, they should be relegated to Police, and Military ownerships and usage. PERIOD. iT IS NOT A SPORT'S HUNTING WEAPON - it is an Assault Weapon. PERIOD. Trying to pretend otherwise is an insanity. Trying to justify it for Sports Hunting should be classified as cruelty to animals. there are many justifications to get these things out of the hands of average citizens.
Purchasing Amo is another matter that has to be addressed. No sale without a form stating what the intented use is. We can go as far as having people to bring in the expended casing, if they expect to purchase additional amo.

I'm sure this post will get a big backlash of controversy, but rather than slamming everything, if you can't offer potential solutions, the posting a bunch of contrite commentary is not promoting anything toward solving the matter of guns in the wrong hands.

It would be treat is there was such a thing as 100% Responsible Gun Ownership - but that is not reality and that certain is not a true fact in America. I am not against Gun Ownership - But we certainly should have some controls over Management Maintenance and National Data systems which profile who is the gun owner and what type of guns do they own.
Gun Manufactuers should be made to build "chip technology" within every weapons produced", and embed it in a way that it cannot be easily removed. Anyone caught with an altered chip, or a removed chip, They are dealt with through the Law Encorcement system and ATF; treat it the same as "counterfieting" with mandatory still penalty.

Then... there is the craziness of 'Domestic Violence" with people killing the whole family, behind some emotional squabble, economic set back and broken relationship. Why don't we have a campaign of some sort, that emphasis, "Don't Run to the Gun - find a soultion to preserve life".
We need a Campaign to Teach Kids, - "Killing Does not Solve Problems or Challenges in Building a Good Life".

We can talk all do and put management maintenance data systems to gun ownership, but even still if we don't reach the hearts and minds of people, even those who have guns and they are within the data base and their picture and finger prints are registered. If they don't have focus given to the mental and social aspects and concepts about how to make their life work. These people can be killers, the same as people in any given situation.
People can find many means to kill, but we need not make grabbing a gun such a easy option. We should not make having acces to get a gun such a easy options, We can make it a Responsible Choice. We can set up mandatory training for people who purchase guns, be it via private purchase or via gun dealers. There should be some mandatory " Responsibility Session" people must attend.
  • You can't just go buy and car and start driving, you have to pass a test and be issued a license.
  • Why should people be allowed to buy a gun and just be loose to go start shooting it?
I agree. This is madness. I have a gun. I would vote to have a background check, a test, or whatever, in order to get another gun, if I have to do those things. It's not a big deal, and if it would help, that is the common sense thing to do. And it would help. No doubt about it.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When I was a kid I drove off in my dads car. He did not like it too much and I did not like the results of my actions.

That being said, and since I was only a 14 year old kid, I know of others that drive cars without a license. Some have lost it because of a DUI and continue to drive without it. Others could never get one for some reason. Plenty of people steal other peoples cars as well. These are not the law abiding people that most of us know. These are people that, like me, broke the law when they decided to get behind the wheel of a car.

I don't think that the bad people with guns are walking into a gun store and buying guns. Plenty of places that you can find a gun. I bet i could drive down to Tijuana and buy some guns today and no one would ever know about them.

Gun laws, which is kind of funny anyway, because our Constitution allows guns, do not apply to those that would brake the law. Gun laws are made to keep guns out of the hands of the good people. A lot of people out there want to get rid of our Constitution and they are doing anything they can to rip it to shreds. These same people want to destroy our way of life. They don't want We the People to have the freedoms we have. Gun laws will not hurt criminals. Do you really think that the bad guys will follow a gun law?

Absolutely not! And by banning guns, in essence you've just created a bunch more criminals! Prohibition (of anything) as history shows is a failure! How did that work with alcohol? It's doing really well with drugs too! We know that criminals will not comply, but there will also be many law abiding citizens who won't comply and something that drastic will cause our country to unravel! Folks b*** and moan about violence now, I don't think they realize the consequences that a ban would have!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I agree. This is madness. I have a gun. I would vote to have a background check, a test, or whatever, in order to get another gun, if I have to do those things. It's not a big deal, and if it would help, that is the common sense thing to do. And it would help. No doubt about it.

Please explain how it would help.

You've registered your gun(s). You've had a background check. You took a test.

Now a madman enters a Gun Free Zone and starts shooting.

Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies