Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Thanksgiving Day shopping be banned?
Yes, let employees stay home with their families/friends 51 26.70%
No, let individual store decide 140 73.30%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Why even celebrate Thanksgiving? It is a celebration of the genoicide of the indians who had to feed the stupid Pilgrims so they didn't starve. Isn't it knd of like celebrating the holacost or something.

We should ban Thanksgiving, AND Columbus day.
People should celebrate any holiday they choose. Who gave you the power to tell me what holidays I should celebrate?

Oh BTW, if the Indians were as stupid as you say they were then they deserve what they got.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What a stupid post. Government should never tell businesses when they can be open.
Yet it does. For example when sales of alcohol are involved.

Quote:
My business should be open whenever I choose to have it open.
You are not living in the vacuum. So if it's deemed by society that your business should be closed, it should be closed.
However in case of Thanksgiving I'd think that if YOU personally are willing to work in your store and keep it open, you should have this right. It's a different story however when it comes to your employees.

Quote:
If customers don't want a business open they will stay home.
If some customers are not intelligent enough to understand when to stop, they need to be reminded of it.

Quote:
Grow up. Most of us don't need government to tell us when we can shop.
But some of us obviously do need that.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:19 AM

358 posts, read 283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What a stupid post. Government should never tell businesses when they can be open. My business should be open whenever I choose to have it open.

If customers don't want a business open they will stay home.

Grow up. Most of us don't need government to tell us when we can shop.
You live in Texas, nuff said

Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Why even celebrate Thanksgiving? It is a celebration of the genoicide of the indians who had to feed the stupid Pilgrims so they didn't starve. Isn't it knd of like celebrating the holacost or something.

We should ban Thanksgiving, AND Columbus day.
Who are you to tell which holidays we should and shouldn't celebrate??

Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Who are you to tell which holidays we should and shouldn't celebrate??

Who are you to tell businesses what days they can be open?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yet it does. For example when sales of alcohol are involved.
It does but it shouldn't. That's not a valid government function. If I want to sell beer at 3 AM on Sunday morning I should be able to.

Quote:
You are not living in the vacuum. So if it's deemed by society that your business should be closed, it should be closed.
Society can do anything it wants including legalize slavery. That doesn't make it right.

Quote:
However in case of Thanksgiving I'd think that if YOU personally are willing to work in your store and keep it open, you should have this right. It's a different story however when it comes to your employees.
If it's my business, I SHOULD be able to set all hours and work days. If you don't like it, don't work there.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Should football games and parades also be banned. How about gas stations etc etc. there are lots of jobs that require working on holidays. A know a lot of people who like working holiday because of holiday pay.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why is it people always look to laws and bans for things they can do on their own?
True

It's always 'I don't like it so let's ban it"

My family tends to do turkey day on Friday because my sisters and mom are in the medical field and like to take the hours and get holiday pay. Fine with me cuz I can watch football in peace.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You just asked and didn't actually say your position so mine is a general statement.

Why is it people always look to laws and bans for things they can do on their own?

Stay home and the stores won't open.
Exactly. I don't go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. If I don't have company over, I go to somebody's house. I watch football. I walk my dog at the dog park. I visit friends.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Just because there is a demand for shops staying open on holidays does not mean it is right and fair! The burden goes towards the retail employees who are mostly forced to work, police officers/firemen/security, etc.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies