Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Thanksgiving Day shopping be banned?
Yes, let employees stay home with their families/friends 51 26.70%
No, let individual store decide 140 73.30%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Ban, no. Refuse to participate, yes. I don't shop on Thanksgiving. Ever. We once went without whipped cream for the Pumpkin Pie because I forgot the whipping cream and wouldn't let anyone go the grocery store for it. It was NOT a popular decision with my family, but that's how strongly I feel about people having a day with their families. I'd prefer non-essential services were closed on Thanksgiving, but I also recognize that many people are OK with working and shopping on that day and would not support a government mandated ban.

Now, can we talk about New Year's Day? I have to work on that day every year. And frequently with a hangov... Sorry, I mean headache. Can't we get some momentum to BAN employers from opening on New Years? Anyone?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's a shame that manufacturing has largely disappeared. Then some of the malcontents could really ***** about having to work inconvenient shifts, days and times.
"It's a shame that manufacturing has largely disappeared."

The U.S. is NO. 2 in the world in manufacturing.

Most people are surprised to find out what is actually made here.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Ask me this question 2 years ago, and I would have been a firm no.

But today I am a yes.

The reason why is that I would in retail and over the last couple of years, there have been some changes that are horrible for workers, and no one signed up for it.

With stores opening earlier and earlier, the "rush" when you open the doors isnt all that bad any more. But since the stores are now open for say 36 hours straight, and workers are working longer hours, it causes fatigue and not coming to work on thanksgiving/Black Friday is automatic termination for many companies.

Ill give an example.

Big Box Store opens at 6 PM Thanksgiving day, worker has 10 hour shift from 6 to 4 a.m., their friday shift starts at 6 AM.. Well, current regulations say that a worker must have 8 hours between their previous shift when changing calendar days, There are multiple ways to get around this, and the main one is defining a shift as "4 hours" that way , the "counter" starts at 10 P.M.for the next shift.

So now, you have someone working from 6PM to 4, and then from 6 AM to 4pm. In my opinion, that is very dangerous
Oh, you poor baby.

Most business owners work 60 hours a week and more.

I worked, on a regular basis, 64 hours a week

Many Americans have become so "spoiled" by the gov't.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law made, takes freedom(choices)

I have come to realize that only a select few "laws" apply to me.
I shall not steal and I shall not harm, unless harmed.... and that is about it.

It really doesn't get any simpler than this BentBow. Live and let live.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
Having worked in retail, it was always awful working on holidays. The sad part is we barely had business anyway. People only came in to buy one or two things and were mostly window-shopping.

Oh, and can't forget the "oh, I'm so sorry you have to work today" speech that many of them were fond of. If you're so sorry for me then stay at home and come tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I do NOT support a law banning stores from being open on holidays, though I do sympathize with the sentiment....

Remember when we had a society that actually valued things like tradition and family? Remember when we used to hold those things sacred?
That was back when unions were stronger and made up about 1/3 of the workforce. But then people wanted to get rid of the unions because they were seen as bad.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So they did get five days off at some point then?...
Sounds like you have never worked a job that requires continuous coverage. There are many shift arrangements that allow you to work the required hours and have the required days off. The days off most likely won't be on a weekend and almost never on a holiday.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I stay home, I often don't go out for black friday, and I don't need a law for that. Get over the whole "someone should make a law" mindset.
Good post! My thoughts exactly!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
In recent years', more and more malls and retail stores has started opening on Thanksgiving Day (which is traditionally a big family holiday) due to competition from other malls and stores that has started opening earlier and earlier, but also some now full-day shopping on the entire holiday. However, some stores still value their employees and decides to remain closed. Few New England states ban stores from being open on Thanksgiving as part of "blue laws".

Do you believe malls and retail stores should be mandated to stay closed on Thanksgiving Day?

No.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Government should have no control over store hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies