Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 AM

35,421 posts, read 20,805,343 times

Advertisements

I read many threads of what the Constitution has to say vs what is happening today. People wanting the 2nd to stay but change the 16th, and that we have it all wrong on the 14th - to include what a citizen can run for the presidents office. Should it all start all over and be reset in stone with more modern day language and application? New rules? For me, we need to change the politics of the congress and how they conduct business. But more direct language will help some problems as what is today was non existing in 1770's - and the Judicial systems seems to complicate it even more instead of simplifying the new rulings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 05:35 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,467,525 times
President Obama and the US Supreme Court are selectively enforcing only the parts they prefer and making up new laws as they go. In fact, the American experiment is over. The US Constitution had its day and has run its course.

The only people who have taken it seriously in recent years have been conservatives, but after what we have seen over the last seven years, even they have woken up now to accept the reality that whatever greatness this nation once had is now rapidly being dissipated, and there is in reality nothing left to be done but stand back and watch the destruction run its course.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 AM

358 posts, read 281,999 times
First and Second Amendment should be repealed; let the majority decide through real democracy.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,943,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
First and Second Amendment should be repealed; let the majority decide through real democracy.

Forward Komrade!...

No we don't need a true democracy! We have a republican form of government in which the minority are protected against the tyranny of the majority. In a true democracy that would not be the case! I'll give you a very simple example... A vote gets presented to we the people that all red headed people are to be put to death. So, 51% vote yes, and 49% vote no. Guess what? Bye bye red heads! You really want something like that? Be careful what you wish for.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:50 AM

58,656 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I read many threads of what the Constitution has to say vs what is happening today. People wanting the 2nd to stay but change the 16th, and that we have it all wrong on the 14th - to include what a citizen can run for the presidents office. Should it all start all over and be reset in stone with more modern day language and application? New rules? For me, we need to change the politics of the congress and how they conduct business. But more direct language will help some problems as what is today was non existing in 1770's - and the Judicial systems seems to complicate it even more instead of simplifying the new rulings.
" Should it all start all over" A very stupid idea, IMO.

The Constitution ALREADY has a mechanism for making changes. It is called Amendments.

The reason some want to ignore it is because they KNOW their ideas are NOT what the majority of Americans want and KNOW their idea would NEVER pass.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,745,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

That the U.S. Constitution is a "living document" is bullbleep.

Revisionists hate that such a relatively short instrument is devoid of bafflegab (yes, it is perfectly understandable). And your comment about ...wanting the 2nd Amendment to stay is so inane, I'm oddly at a loss for words.

BTW, that's one difference between Conservatives and Liberals: the former acknowledge the entire Constitution. And don't even try to say that sticking with the purpose of the 14th Amendment (which wasn't to grant citizenship to babies born to illegal aliens) is the same as wanting to change it.

The U.S. Constitution does not need to be "simplified."

Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,889,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Forward Komrade!...

No we don't need a true democracy! We have a republican form of government in which the minority are protected against the tyranny of the majority. In a true democracy that would not be the case! I'll give you a very simple example... A vote gets presented to we the people that all red headed people are to be put to death. So, 51% vote yes, and 49% vote no. Guess what? Bye bye red heads! You really want something like that? Be careful what you wish for.
To think some people think they are the ones always being picked on.....

Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
If you think the Constitution is no longer applicable to your life just stop following the laws enacted under its rules.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,943,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
To think some people think they are the ones always being picked on.....

I didn't mean to necessarily single out red heads. Heck it could be left handed folks, in which I am.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:03 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,075,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Obama and the US Supreme Court are selectively enforcing only the parts they prefer and making up new laws as they go. In fact, the American experiment is over. The US Constitution had its day and has run its course.

The only people who have taken it seriously in recent years have been conservatives, but after what we have seen over the last seven years, even they have woken up now to accept the reality that whatever greatness this nation once had is now rapidly being dissipated, and there is in reality nothing left to be done but stand back and watch the destruction run its course.
Explain to me why conservatives, including a president who signed it into law, allowed the PATRIOT Act to happen and I will take you seriously. You won't and realistically can't do this, so I just won't take you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies