Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:23 PM

1,074 posts, read 946,148 times

Advertisements

Would Ronald Reagan have won in today's electorate? Why or why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,085,987 times
Not in today's Republican Party where you have to toe the extreme far-right line or be labeled a "RINO liberal progressive" ... Reagan and Bush would be chased away in the primaries for daring to compromise and govern as moderate pragmatics.

It's pretty ironic when you consider all the GOP wingnuts trying to claim that they are the second coming of Reagan

Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 PM

599 posts, read 399,961 times
I'd sure hope they could win as I would vote for them in a heartbeat. I wasn't alive during Reagan's Presidency though I have heard that the 80's was the time to be alive! I consider myself more of a liberal Republican where I am quite liberal on social issues such as same sex marriage, legalization of drugs and limited forms of gun cpatrol (universal background checks).

Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I'd sure hope they could win as I would vote for them in a heartbeat. I wasn't alive during Reagan's Presidency though I have heard that the 80's was the time to be alive! I consider myself more of a liberal Republican where I am quite liberal on social issues such as same sex marriage, legalization of drugs and limited forms of gun cpatrol (universal background checks).
You sound alot like myself ... unfortunately this forum is filled with extreme right wing wackos who will label you a "RINO liberal".

I think it might be our age (I am assuming you are in your 20s like me) but most younger Republicans seem to be more moderate, if not liberal when it comes to social issues, immigration, etc. We're more in tune with the modern United States. I just want the Republicans to return to being the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:12 PM

158 posts, read 144,312 times
Replace Reagan/Bush with Kasich/Rubio and ask: would Kasich/Rubio win in today's electorate?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Default No

Republicans have shown themselves to be completely inept and bad for the country, and many realize that Conservatism is synonymous with Dixie, Confederacy, racism, and bigotry. Nothing will EVER be the same again for the GOP. Reagan/Bush? No chance.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Republicans have shown themselves to be completely inept and bad for the country, and many realize that Conservatism is synonymous with Dixie, Confederacy, racism, and bigotry. Nothing will EVER be the same again for the GOP. Reagan/Bush? No chance.

Such views need to be purged from the conservative movement similar to how Buckley kicked out the John Birch Society wackos back in the 1960s. We need to stop associating ourselves with Deep South/Midwest bigots, Biblethumpers, neo-Confederates, and racist scum.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Such views need to be purged from the conservative movement similar to how Buckley kicked out the John Birch Society wackos back in the 1960s. We need to stop associating ourselves with Deep South/Midwest bigots, Biblethumpers, neo-Confederates, and racist scum.
rubbish. that has been pushed onto the republican party and conservatives by racist liberals seeking to hide their efforts at promoting racism and hatred.

as for reagan/bush, i think yes they could win today. remember that reagan stepped up and promoted a positive image, and promoted a positive campaign image to the country as a whole. he would have been donald trump with polish.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
It is the liberals pushing race based policies.

The fact is the Republicans have eventually nominated moderates in both 2008 and 2012.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

You need to stop pretending to be a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies