Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - all of those are excellent reasons for never, never ever trusting private enterprise. In my experience the private sector will lie, cheat and steal to sell a product. The bigger the business gets the more it lies, cheats and robs it customers.

A good example is any Bank theat pays you less then 1% interest on your savings and charges 30% for a credit card loan.
At present no one requires you to use a Bank or its products.

But the government could require everyone to stop using cash, at which point you MUST have a bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - all of those are excellent reasons for never, never ever trusting private enterprise. In my experience the private sector will lie, cheat and steal to sell a product. The bigger the business gets the more it lies, cheats and robs it customers.

A good example is any Bank theat pays you less then 1% interest on your savings and charges 30% for a credit card loan.
Anyone can lie, cheat, and steal, government or not, because both sectors are run by human beings. I'd even argue that the public sector attracts a lot of the most sociopathic people looking for power, so they're even less trustworthy in many cases. Then they're given societal permission to initiate force against everyone? I think that's much worse than a private business.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have worked for both private business and government. I found far more Little Tin Gods in the private sector. In the public sector I could disagree with a boss without having to quit or suppressing my opinion.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Unlike private enterprise, government is rarely held accountable for incompetence.
Unlike private enterprise, all Americans are forced to patronize and invest in government whether we like it or not.
Unlike private enterprise, the government freely confiscates our wealth and property, yet they still spend in excess of that which they confiscate.
Unlike private enterprise, the government prints money to make up for their budgetary shortfalls, making all of us poorer.
Unlike private enterprise, the government has no incentive for efficiency or added value as they hold a monopoly of virtually everything they do.
Unlike private enterprise, the government can manipulate the economy so elected officials can handpick winners and losers.
Unlike private enterprise, criminality in government is often rewarded with a promotion or election to higher office (just look at your presumptive 45th President).
Unlike private enterprise, the government is exempt from the laws of the marketplace as they can unilaterally give themselves a raise, increase the price of their services, give you a paycut, give your neighbor a raise, etc.
Unlike private enterprise, the government can change the rules of the game on a whim.
Unlike private enterprise, abuse of power is the rule in government, not the exception.
Unlike private enterprise, when there is suspected government misconduct, the investigative party typically has a conflict of interest and/or a predetermined conclusion so the obviously guilty party is typically exonerated and returned to public service.
Unlike private enterprise, the individual who has a dispute with their government has no higher authority to contact for redress.
Unlike private enterprise, a track record of failure is often rewarded with reelection or appointment to higher office.
Unlike private enterprise, the government can lie and deceive without reproach.
Unlike private enterprise, government is responsible for more human pain and suffering than any other institution in human history.
I don't trust the government much but I trust it a heck of a lot more than multi national corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies