Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I went to college in the late 80's, early 90's.
College of Engineering, major was Computer Science.

More Asians and Indians then Americans.

Insulting or not, America is not producing highly skilled college graduates.
We have great colleges though and students from all over the world come here to get college educations.

So it's not our schools.

Here's the majors many American students take: women's studies, Star Wars, cannabis cultivation, fermentation studies, creative writing, floral management, and I can go on and on.

Here's the majors international students take: Business Management, Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Physical/Life Science.

This gleamed from admissions data which is all over the web via 5 minutes of googling.

So yeah..the US is hurting for top talent.

Lol... this made me laugh and it is very true. I think The USA wouldn't be hurting from top talent if the potential "top talent" weren't so lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:30 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Like who? Where is all this "untapped talent"?

Every month my boss tells our group that we need more engineers and to let him know if we can recommend any talented people. And every month the answer is the same. Every talented person we know has already been hired somewhere else. Salaries in the six-figures and we struggle to even find decent new grads out of college.

So please tell me where we can find all this "untapped talent" you speak of. We really need them.
First I'd be interested in seeing a job listing for one of these positions and hearing what technical questions you ask. Many employers make your exact claim -- that even "decent" grads are hard to come by -- and then I come to discover that they're looking for MIT grads with 3.9 GPAs and 3 internships.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Lol at the notion of 535 scoundrels knowing what talent is needed in a country of 320000000.
Yes oh wise govt gods we call upon you to guide us through these times of talent deficit

Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lol... this made me laugh and it is very true. I think The USA wouldn't be hurting from top talent if the potential "top talent" weren't so lazy.
That's a nasty, false anti-American remark to make!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Like who? Where is all this "untapped talent"?

Every month my boss tells our group that we need more engineers and to let him know if we can recommend any talented people. And every month the answer is the same. Every talented person we know has already been hired somewhere else. Salaries in the six-figures and we struggle to even find decent new grads out of college.

So please tell me where we can find all this "untapped talent" you speak of. We really need them.
There are 320 million people in this country yet American untapped talent can't be found? Who do you think you are kidding?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Generally, Americans benefit when very smart, hard working people move to thier country. So let them come in most cases. But if the main benificiary is a Mark Zuckerberg adding hundreds of milions to his net worth, while other Americans mostly lose out it, isn't good policy.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Using Italian (Fermi), Danish (Bohr), English (French ironically), Hungarian (von Neumann), Austro-Hungarian (Teller), German (Einstein) immigrants, seems like more things change the more they stay the same.

That was Leonardo da Vinci, a well known renaissance artist, inventor, and engineer, born in Little Italy NYC clearly. After him there was Rene Descartes, Thomas Young (Somerset England), Sir John Herschel. First functional contact corrective lens was by Adolf Gaston Eugen Fick in Zurich (no not Zurich Ohio), and not to be confused with his uncle Adolph Eugen Fick who created Ficks law of diffusion.

Nikola Tesla (Croatia) ring any bells, he was responsible for Westinghouse moving towards AC, actual AC had been around since Faraday.

Charles Babbage invented the first programmable computer, As already mentioned Zuse invented the first binary programmable computer.

Please do, as I mentioned above the more things change the more they stay the same. Most famous American inventions appear to have been invented by immigrants, or not actually at all in the US.

OK, so we should open the borders to ethnic Europeans because they invent ****.

Any reason unskilled workers from third world nations need to be allowed in as well?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
First I'd be interested in seeing a job listing for one of these positions and hearing what technical questions you ask. Many employers make your exact claim -- that even "decent" grads are hard to come by -- and then I come to discover that they're looking for MIT grads with 3.9 GPAs and 3 internships.
Most of the time, we're just looking for someone that 1. has at least some relevant experience, 2. can actually remember a fair portion of what they were taught in college, and 3. can demonstrate some actual common sense. Not surprisingly, those people more often have internships and come from top-tier schools.

Most people just pick the major because it shows up towards the top of the salary list. But they haven't demonstrated any real interest in the field and often can't even recite the basics from college.

Too bad so many people have to find out the hard way that the piece of paper alone isn't going to cut it.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are 320 million people in this country yet American untapped talent can't be found? Who do you think you are kidding?
So why don't you become a Silicon Valley tech recruiter, then? Since finding top talent is so trivial for you, you'll do very well there.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:52 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, so we should open the borders to ethnic Europeans because they invent ****.

Any reason unskilled workers from third world nations need to be allowed in as well?
Sure, Americans don't want to do jobs like mowing lawns, taking trash out, anything that they consider beneath them, most will happily sit in front of the TV, or computer and subsist in Section 8 housing, getting welfare and SNAP, because someone won't pay them the high five figure or six figure salary they're entitled to.

Someone had to be making income that can be taxed to provide the non-working Americans the lives they've become accustomed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies