Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Heck no - but I made a living falsifying bad science for the FDA.

One of the things I learned early on was to carefully study the actual science (particularly the assumptions - always written just before the 'materials and methods' section) before accepting the study's results.

Another thing I learned is that most journalists can't read science and simply report the gross findings reported in the abstract. No disrespect intended against NaturalNews.com, but you can't blindly accept the results in the abstract without closely examining how the authors got to those results.
Naturalfood.com is full of non-organic crap.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I took Simvastatin for cholesterol, and it caused severe muscle cramping in my legs.
It took a while for the Drs to figure out what was causing the cramps.

I am still suffering from the effects, and it has been a couple of years since I took any Simvastatin.

I will never take another statin drug again if I can help it.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I took Simvastatin for cholesterol, and it caused severe muscle cramping in my legs.

I am still suffering from the effects, and it has been a couple of years since I took any Simvastatin.

There is a warning out that if you get cramps from statins, it can lead to life-threatening complications. Statins make me ill. I started taking fish oil capsules and my cholesterol dropped dramatically, but it doesn't work for everyone.
I read a story a few months back(no I don't have the link) that said one long-term study found that cholesterol had nothing to do with heart disease. So, who do you believe? You know the companies making billions from statins wouldn't lie to us.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There is a warning out that if you get cramps from statins, it can lead to life-threatening complications. Statins make me ill. I started taking fish oil capsules and my cholesterol dropped dramatically, but it doesn't work for everyone.
I read a story a few months back(no I don't have the link) that said one long-term study found that cholesterol had nothing to do with heart disease. So, who do you believe? You know the companies making billions from statins wouldn't lie to us.
It isn't always nefarious, sometimes we just don't have enough information. Like someone else posted, it's all about the risks/benefits.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
There is nothing that is risk free. With everything you must weight the pros and cons and those are not going to be the same for everyone.
At the end you must read, analyze who is behind the reports and decide for yourself. It's your life if you choose to take statins and it works for you then you made the right decision. If you choose not to and it works for you then you also made the right decision.

Yes there is a lot of money on statins but there is also a lot of money in dealing with heart disease.

Whatever you decide read and make an intelligent, informed decision, as I said its your life.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:56 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

I think you need a new doctor. Leg cramping in some people is well known to be caused by statin drugs.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:26 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
I quit taking statins and my pill pushing Dr raised hell and said she did as well.
She also misread m medical records and said i had a touch of heart disease and a stent.

Easily solved: i fired that pill pusher.

In Costa Rica the general population eats very little beef or pork ,no salt and no pepper. My mother-in law is 77 yrs old. Had 17 kids and takes no medicine.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:56 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Do you take them?

The study, which was published in the American Journal of Physiology, states that statins' "...impact on other biologic properties of stem cells provides a novel explanation for their adverse clinical effects."

Specifically, the study states that such adverse effects include advancing the "process of aging" and also notes that "...long-term use of statins has been associated with adverse effects including myopathy, neurological side effects and an increased risk of diabetes."

Myopathy refers to skeletal muscle weakness.

Statin scam exposed: Cholesterol drugs cause rapid aging, brain damage and diabetes - NaturalNews.com

Natural News is a quack conspiracy site. Anyone using this site as a source of medical knowledge is being taken in by snake oil salesmen.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
It's more or less a 3 lb. lump of cholesterol and fat. So anything the progressive left can do to insidiously scoop it away with brain-material eating statin drugs is sure to give them more peace, and less piece, of mind.
Blamed on the lib'ruls in the first response. That's gotta be a record.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
It's more or less a 3 lb. lump of cholesterol and fat. So anything the progressive left can do to insidiously scoop it away with brain-material eating statin drugs is sure to give them more peace, and less piece, of mind.
The progressive left? OMG..does your hyper-partisanship know no bounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies