Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. declare English & French as official language like Canada?
Yes 4 7.14%
No 52 92.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

358 posts, read 283,375 times

Advertisements

Currently the United States has no official language even though English is the national language and the language of the government and on road signs as well as the only language spoken by majority of Americans. Although Spanish is spoken by slightly less than 15% of Americans and mainly settled in larger cities and in southern states close to the Mexican border, the French language is still the second most spoken language after English in parts of the northern states close to the Canadian border.

French is the second most taught language in the United States and the world, and both English and French are the main official languages of the United Nations. English and French are also the top two languages spoken officially by number of countries in the world despite both languages having less native language speakers than some other languages. Sharing the world's longest border with Canada where English & French are spoken is also a big plus for trade and business, and both countries could share same products now without paying anything extra as both are each others trading partner.

So my proposal is to have both English and French the official language of the United States which means that French would be included on all packages and consumer goods, as well as including bilingual signs on new road signs and bilingual posters at the federal government. French would be mandated and taught starting from first grade.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,246,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Currently the United States has no official language even though English is the national language and the language of the government and on road signs as well as the only language spoken by majority of Americans. Although Spanish is spoken by slightly less than 15% of Americans and mainly settled in larger cities and in southern states close to the Mexican border, the French language is still the second most spoken language after English in parts of the northern states close to the Canadian border.

French is the second most taught language in the United States and the world, and both English and French are the main official languages of the United Nations. English and French are also the top two languages spoken officially by number of countries in the world despite both languages having less native language speakers than some other languages. Sharing the world's longest border with Canada where English & French are spoken is also a big plus for trade and business, and both countries could share same products now without paying anything extra as both are each others trading partner.

So my proposal is to have both English and French the official language of the United States which means that French would be included on all packages and consumer goods, as well as including bilingual signs on new road signs and bilingual posters at the federal government. French would be mandated and taught starting from first grade.
No.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:

Your reason for French is irrelevant compared to Spanish, but I think you know that and include French only to ridicule the notion of an official language.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times
But why? Sure, worldwide French is used quite a bit, but what's that got to do with the US? Most Americans speak English, and I think the next most spoken language in the US is Spanish, and only ~10% of the population actually speaks it; many of that 10% probably also speak English.

If we were to adopt more than one official language, it would be Spanish, but is that small of a percentage enough for it to be recognized federally? Perhaps states with higher populations of Spanish speakers should adopt it rather than the entire US.

So I'm not really for or against adopting English as an official language (though I think it's a pointless thing to do), but why would French be the second official language?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,116,458 times
I am opposed to official languages at the federal level, I think it's something best left to the states. That said, absolutely nobody in the US speaks French ... Spanish on the other hand will only become more and more common nationwide.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 PM

19,260 posts, read 17,129,598 times
English yes, French no.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
I didn't see "Sod off" as a poll option, so I voted "No".

Old 10-26-2015, 07:36 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
is there not a Canadian thread?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
Quote:

Declaring "Official Language" is something NOT appropriate to any Nations..even tho Canada has enabled French speaking folks to both languages nationwide..BUT to designate OFFICIAL language...Bupkis!! Just because recognize French language in allowing official Federal Government documents..Certainly isn't even close to Official Language REQUIRED..

Back in my day 1960's living in Montreal..This is how Quebec started...using such an agenda..Stop signs had both "STOP" and "ARRET" on all of them..but since then it migrated into business signage..to only FRENCH...believe me..Slippery slope was demonstrated primarily by Province of Quebec....

I lived thru FLQ attacks..( post box bombings and kidnappings of Political representative) and realized by end of '60's..Quebec was not so happy with English folks..Sad!!

I learned a lot of french and the ability to cope with those who refused to speak English..and Yep..I survived..rose above the nasty French media promoting making Quebec to be totally FRENCH..Even back in the day France's Leader Charles DeGaulle took his shot at moving the "Quiet Revolution" forward...
Canadian Parliamentary Review - Article

Quote:
The Quiet Revolution and Beyond

Following his victory in the 1960 Quebec election Jean Lesage led a Liberal administration which took over health, education and even social services for which the Church had been responsible for two hundred years. Another important event was the nationalization of Hydro-Quebec, the asbestos industry, and natural resources, as well as the greater democratization of Quebec society.

Another important change was taking place. The term Canadien had gradually fallen out of use. In 1967 when General De Gaulle made his triumphal tour of the "Chemin du Roy" he was speaking to the French of Canada or French-Canadians. But the Quiet Revolution was already in the process of giving rise to a new Quebecois identity with a new mentality and a manifestation of the revolutionary spirit in poetry and song. This Revolution was indeed "quiet". When the Front de Libération du Québec (FLQ) assassinated Pierre Laporte in 1970, Quebeceurs were horrified, just as they had been when the French Revolution turned violent.

In 1976 the Parti Québécois came to office on the platform of independence for the province but it modified its ambitions when, in a 1980 referendum, it failed to obtain enough backing to make
MY whole point is..even suggesting USA recognizing French as an official language is not even remotely feasible..let alone a viable law!!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,438,558 times
Only 30% of Canadians have a working knowledge of french.It would be pointless in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies