Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know what your opinion is of our Prime Minstet, David Cameron and his Conservative Party?

I personally don't like them. I am scared that we will end up pulling out of the European Union, which will be a disaster for the UK. They will also continue to cut back public spending and most likely give more tax incentives to the wealthy. They are also talking about bringing in a British Bill Of Rights to replace the European one, which I am also worried about.

I'd love to hear what Americans think of the idiots we have in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
To be honest I don't believe Americans hear or read enough on British politics, especially on domestic issues, to comment. Having said that, they show Cameron on C-span taking questions on 'Prime Minister's Questions'. He appears an intelligent chap with a sense of humor. I just can't speak to his politics.

Regarding the European Union, I thought it was an ill conceived idea from the get go. Considering the history of Europe it seemed a dicey proposition, as national interest would eventually trump EU interest, it was just a question of which domino would fall first. Greece hasn't done well and of course wants to eat the hand that fed them. There'll be hard feelings over that for decades if not longer. And I personally think the immigration laws within the EU were foolhardy with people moving to other countries a little too easily. Too much immigration can cause serious issues in the job market, with rising housing costs due to demand, crime rates going up due to unemployment, disloyalty to the country the immigrants move to, etc. We see that in our own country so know open borders aren't the way to go.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
He a Good Public Servant and is doing something about the problrms of Immagrations. He knows how to play nice with the other other side.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Laugh when I hear "The Conservative Party".

UK has been swirling the bowl fo sometime now as has most ot the EU.

We are not far behind.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I have heard this man interviewed and he is very impressive to listen to. I was especially impressed listening to him on the Late Show with David Letterman, and was somewhat surprised he did not know the year the Magna Carta ('Great Charter') was enacted. (1215)

I have no idea his personal politics, nor do I know the difference between Labour, Conservatives, and do they have Tories as well?

I'm pretty sure there are American politicians who don't know when the Constitution was enacted, either.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 AM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Just curious to know what your opinion is of our Prime Minstet, David Cameron and his Conservative Party?

I personally don't like them. I am scared that we will end up pulling out of the European Union, which will be a disaster for the UK. They will also continue to cut back public spending and most likely give more tax incentives to the wealthy. They are also talking about bringing in a British Bill Of Rights to replace the European one, which I am also worried about.

I'd love to hear what Americans think of the idiots we have in power.
I sometimes read British newspapers or watch youtube videos from British politics shows. I wish US conservatives were like the Tories. That said as someone center left, I prefer the labor parties objectives.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
I support Cameron's push to renegotiate the UK's EU membership and if that fails to leave. The EU was well intended but it hasent worked out very well. It seems to be more of a German Empire v2.0 than a true association of sovereign nations. It just further proves that there cannot be an economic union without a totally integrated political union.

One major area where I disagree with Cameron is on the future of the UK. I believe it's time for the UK to adopt a federal system similar with the United States where England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland would have measure of autonomy similar to a state of the United States with London handling certain federalized matters like defense and foreign affairs. I think it's the only chance to save the UK as we know it. The Conservatives opposed Irish home rule a century ago when it was the wise path forward that could have led to a near-federal UK (including Ireland) and resolved many of the present tensions before they even became tensions.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
It's the Monarchy, stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-c1ouaehwg

Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
I'm far more worried about our own village idiot, obama, than I am with any politicians in the UK. I would gladly send you obama in trade for Cameron.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Cameron seems like a good guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies