Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times

Advertisements

Should people who suffer from chronic lifelong pain be punished because some people abuse such medications??? Many people who rely on such medications do not abuse these medications yet find it harder to be treated. Never mind the dirty looks and disrespect from not only the public but from doctors themselves. Addicts will always find a way to get high yet those who suffer daily unrelenting pain are more likely to commit suicide than go on living in pain.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
many, many get hooked on pain killers, and some of the fault is the doctor's amount prescribed

be it ty3, percs, or valuim

the key is to take as little as possible

after I was injured in Iraq, I could have easily gotten hooked on that crap..but I have a high pain tollerance and dont like to take too many meds if possible

my script said 1-2 every 4 hours...I would take 1/2 every 8 hours and just deal with the pain.....

Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Should people who suffer from chronic lifelong pain be punished because some people abuse such medications??? Many people who rely on such medications do not abuse these medications yet find it harder to be treated. Never mind the dirty looks and disrespect from not only the public but from doctors themselves. Addicts will always find a way to get high yet those who suffer daily unrelenting pain are more likely to commit suicide than go on living in pain.

How in the world can the general public give you dirty looks and disrespect you when they would have no idea you are on medication.

Most Pharmacists are too busy to care what medication any one customer takes so the stares, dirty looks and disrespect appears to be imaginary.

A Doctor who is a Professional will not treat their patients the way you describe when they know the patient is not abusing the medication and if they do then you are with the wrong Doctor.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
If a physician is refusing pain medication to someone with a legitimate need I believe I'd contact the state licensing authority and file a complaint.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
No they should not, but many docs won't prescribe narcotics on any regular basis. As a doc myself, I do prescribe them when medically indicated.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:47 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If a physician is refusing pain medication to someone with a legitimate need I believe I'd contact the state licensing authority and file a complaint.
I would recommend looking for another doc. It is well within the docs rights and practice to not prescribe narcotics.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,389,618 times
People with chronic pain are going to get better care for their pain if they can go a pain management clinic. It often requires a team approach to adequately manage and narcotics alone are not always (often?) the best option.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
People with chronic pain are going to get better care for their pain if they can go a pain management clinic. It often requires a team approach to adequately manage and narcotics alone are not always (often?) the best option.
Preferably one affiliated with a major university or hospital.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
How would the public know?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would recommend looking for another doc. It is well within the docs rights and practice to not prescribe narcotics.

Can you explain why a doctor would refuse if there was really no effective alternative? Or are there alternatives as effective as narcotics in all cases?

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious how common it is for Docs to not want to prescribe certain meds even when/if indicated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies