Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Riiigghhtttt, there's no racism in the north. <sarcasm>
No one said there wasn't racism in the North. I even admit this. However, the South was doing the Jim Crow laws, and even using violence to enforce Jim Crow. This was i addition to stubbornly holding on to the institution of slavery. Alot of Blacks were leaving the South between 1910-1970. One can say jobs were a big part, and it was. However, during that time, why were more Blacks moving to New York, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and Philadelphia than to Atlanta, Birmingham, or even Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was primarily in the South where Jim Crow was the law of the land. One reason my grandparents left the South. One reason alot of Blacks started leaving the South.
No doubt. As I said, anyone that thinks otherwise is just lying to themselves or uneducated on the historical facts of the situation.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
No doubt. As I said, anyone that thinks otherwise is just lying to themselves or uneducated on the historical facts of the situation.
I think many are lying to themselves. There is a very bad history in the South. In some cases, many people don't want to admit it. Some cases, some people are proud of it .

Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No one said there wasn't racism in the North. I even admit this. However, the South was doing the Jim Crow laws, and even using violence to enforce Jim Crow. This was i addition to stubbornly holding on to the institution of slavery. Alot of Blacks were leaving the South between 1910-1970. One can say jobs were a big part, and it was. However, during that time, why were more Blacks moving to New York, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and Philadelphia than to Atlanta, Birmingham, or even Memphis?
But you still vote for those who brought Jim Crow about. The Democrats, so go figure.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
But you still vote for those who brought Jim Crow about. The Democrats, so go figure.
1) What does this have to do with anything I said?
2) Why do you care who I vote for?
3) Why has the South suddenly become Republican when it voted Democrat during Jim Crow days?
4) What makes you so sure that I only vote for Democrats?
5) That low blow comment shows me that you display an inability to confront the subject matter and that you are handling what I said in an irrational manner.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
And you don't know what the southern strategy was. Go figure.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And you don't know what the southern strategy was. Go figure.
Bringing up "voting" was merely a way to deflect from what I was saying. When one doesn't want to discuss what was said, one tries to deflect with an arbitrary subject. Basically, it's a way of dodging a topic.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This thread is about the Confederate flag in Mississippi and how a group of students decided they didn't want it representing their school any more. The Confederate flag is still revered by many in the South, but obviously not this younger generation. Which has exactly what to do with the North immediately following the Civil War?
You're ignorant comment about the South being racist is just that.
The sad part is you're doing the same thing you claim people from the South are doing, grouping people into a category and saying disparaging things about them. That's what bigots do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh that's right, absolutely nothing.
It proves you're being hypocritical, yet again and also a bigot.

Go ahead make some more demeaning comments about people in the South and you'll get more of the same truths from me.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Except the south was still being racist over a hundred years after the civil war ended.
And of course the north isn't racist at all. Why during and after the war they welcomed blacks with open arms right?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Last I checked, people weren't being lynched, bombed, and burned for being black up in the North.
That's on you for being ignorant. New York draft riots with over 100 dead. "We aren't fighting for blacks"
The demographics of the city changed as a result of the riot. So many blacks left Manhattan permanently (many moving to Brooklyn), that by 1865 their population fell below 10,000, the number in 1820.

I guess you never watched the Gangs of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies