Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:23 PM

37,948 posts, read 17,842,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was primarily in the South where Jim Crow was the law of the land. One reason my grandparents left the South. One reason a lot of Blacks started leaving the South.
That wasn't the people, that was government.
And by 1930 black unemployment became higher than white unemployment. So much for moving North. I guess unions didn't welcome blacks with open arms after all huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:03 PM

46,939 posts, read 25,947,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
That's why I say let the flag fly as a reminder of what can happen from unintended consequence.
I guess the South getting its collective hide tanned for revolting for the worst possible reason does qualify as an unintended consequence, but something tells me that's not exactly what you intend to convey...

Old 10-27-2015, 04:06 PM

46,939 posts, read 25,947,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm not.

Eventually everything will be banned at the rate we are going at.

"I don't like it...so ban it!"
If the flag is flown at a university you attend, it's more along the lines of "I don't want that representing me", and that's actually a perfectly valid concern.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM

17,760 posts, read 13,646,897 times
Quote:
3) Why has the South suddenly become Republican when it voted Democrat during Jim Crow days?
That one is pretty simple. Because the people who were being DISCRIMATED AGAINST by Jim Crow in THOSE days....... are voting democratic THESE days.

It's pretty funny that these guys keep trotting that one out there.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 PM

17,589 posts, read 17,602,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Not to the degree that exists in the Deep South, no.
Probably because for a century or more the majority of the nation's black population lived in the south since so many northerners after the civil war wouldn't let them enter their state and neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,658,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's on you for being ignorant. New York draft riots with over 100 dead. "We aren't fighting for blacks"
The demographics of the city changed as a result of the riot. So many blacks left Manhattan permanently (many moving to Brooklyn), that by 1865 their population fell below 10,000, the number in 1820.

I guess you never watched the Gangs of New York.
Pretty sure the draft riots didn't happen 100 years after the civil war. Unlike say... the Selma Church bombing.

Quote:
And by 1930 black unemployment became higher than white unemployment. So much for moving North. I guess unions didn't welcome blacks with open arms after all huh.
Oh I see. And who exactly gives the government its power?

Buddy, I don't even care if you're racist or not. It doesn't matter to me. But your revisionist history isn't going to work. The South was full of bigots who did everything they could to disenfranchise blacks for over a century after the the civil war ended. They only stopped when ordered to do so during the Civil Rights era. Once again through threat of federal military force.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,144,144 times
Quote:
It's about time things change. The Confederate flag is traitorous. It shows some people have not moved on. The war is over. The Union won, the Confederacy lost. The desire to keep slavery was a large why Mississippi wanted to secede. The Confederate flag was also flown as a resistance to the Civil Rights movement. It is a throwback to ugly times.
Well, then let's pretend it never happened. It will be doubleplusgood.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:11 PM

72,968 posts, read 62,522,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, then let's pretend it never happened. It will be doubleplusgood.
Sarcasm. I'm noticing it being used when one doesn't agree with what was said.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 PM

72,968 posts, read 62,522,142 times
Quote:
It was both the government and many of the people. Last I checked, alot of people got up in arms when people were talking about integration.

And I said it was ONE reason. ONE as in there is more. And Black unemployment was higher everywhere, north or south. Rather than downplaying Jim Crow in the South, better to just admit that it played in role in many Blacks leaving the South.

Something else. 1930 was one year into the Great Depression. Everyone was doing bad.

I also think you didn't read this post, or ignored it.

Quote:
No one said there wasn't racism in the North. I even admit this. However, the South was doing the Jim Crow laws, and even using violence to enforce Jim Crow. This was i addition to stubbornly holding on to the institution of slavery. Alot of Blacks were leaving the South between 1910-1970. One can say jobs were a big part, and it was. However, during that time, why were more Blacks moving to New York, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and Philadelphia than to Atlanta, Birmingham, or even Memphis?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,928,692 times
Quote:
It's about time things change. The Confederate flag is traitorous. It shows some people have not moved on. The war is over. The Union won, the Confederacy lost. The desire to keep slavery was a large why Mississippi wanted to secede. The Confederate flag was also flown as a resistance to the Civil Rights movement. It is a throwback to ugly times.
I think the second part of your statement is more compelling than the first.

My objection to the Confederate battle flag has nothing to do with General Beauregard or Marse Robert or Mint Juleps or brave boys in gray fighting fighting for a cause they believed in or magnolias or Miss Scarlett's green velvet dress or the Dukes of Hazzard. My objection has everything to do with post-WW2 racists and bigots using it as a symbol of hate and segregation.

As a KKK emblem it tarnished the historical significance of that flag forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies