Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You really think another student should jump in between a cop and a student?

And for everyone else, not just you who thinks they should, you think people in general should go around breaking up fights involving police or just people in general?
No where in my comments did I say they should jump in.

I said I was shocked at how there were no gasps, no verbal comments as in "OMG", no one even looking at what was going on.

I don't know about you but if there is a physical altercation going on around me, I would not just sit there and stare at a laptop.

The one sitting behind her almost got it in right in the face when her body went over backwards.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here's a novel concept: How about parents start teaching their children RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY?

If the student had done as she was told, the officer wouldn't have had to manhandle her.

I have no pity for her. What should they have done? Dismissed class for the day and hope her highness would behave better tomorrow? FAT CHANCE of that once she knew SHE was in control.

Should we allow disruptive, disrespectful children to hold education hostage to their whims? To hell with the students who are there to learn?

The same goes for police.

If you do not want to be manhandled, tazered or shot, respect their authority and do as you are told.
I bet even a sister of mo mercy, yielding a yard stick, would say THAT is excessive. Teachers used to dump our desks, yank misbehaving kids out of chairs...things have changed.

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 10-27-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:05 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
BS.

When I went to school, white kids were smacked on their ass with a wooden paddle, including my brother, more than once. And that was for non violent transgressions, like cutting class.

Did parents complain or intervene? Hell NO!

If anything, their child received even more punishment when they got home.

And what did this so called physical abuse do? It taught kids that there are bad consequences for negative behavior and they grew up to be law abiding, productive citizens instead of narcissists who think they are special little snowflakes who are above the law.
Yeah, that was the case when I was a kid, too. The male teachers whacked us with their fraternity paddles--which usually had holes drilled in them to lessen air resistance. The female teachers tended to use rubber hoses. One of my teachers even named her rubber hose. She'd slide open her desk drawer and say, "You don't want me to get out 'Mr. Greenjeans....'"

However...the teachers also lived in the same neighborhood we lived in. They were personal friends of our parents. The high school principal was the Sunday School superintendent at my church. One music teacher played piano at our church; the other played piano at the Baptist church on the next block. The teachers were members of the same fraternities, sororities, and social clubs as our parents. My first grade teacher was my mother's best friend.

So, yeah, our parents trusted their long-time close friends to discipline their children.

That's not the way it is today. I didn't know my kids' teachers from Adam. I'd never have given permission for strangers to strike my children.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 10-27-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:11 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Fear is the best substitute for respect. If you can't act right due to lack of respect for anything, you will act right if you fear the consequences of not acting right enough.
Yes, that is the logic of many an abusive husband or father.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I can only hope that out of control cop gets his head handed to him on a shovel. No unarmed child deserves that kind of treatment. If anyone wants to teach her to respect authority then authority has to act respectably. In this case authority was nothing but a red faced angry bully. I see crippling lawsuits in his future.

I was accused with always have problems with authority. I way I looked at it that was not true. From my point of view authority was having trouble with me. When authority is respectable I will respect them. When they are not I will not.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
The female in the view of authorities (not the cop) needed to be removed. She refused. At that point, the cop has an obligation to remove her.

When arresting someone or moving them when they do not want to move means using enough force to overcome resistance. There is no nice way to do it.

The video does not show the entire story, only what those who want to see the worst want to see.

Someone called the cop. Who was that and what did they say?

What you see in the video is the end of the story, not the start or middle.

Why was the cop called if this was all about nothing?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can only hope that out of control cop gets his head handed to him on a shovel. No unarmed child deserves that kind of treatment. If anyone wants to teach her to respect authority then authority has to act respectably. In this case authority was nothing but a red faced angry bully. I see crippling lawsuits in his future.

I was accused with always have problems with authority. I way I looked at it that was not true. From my point of view authority was having trouble with me. When authority is respectable I will respect them. When they are not I will not.
So, what would YOU have done.

She (the young adult) didn't respect the teacher.

She didn't respect the administrator.

She didn't respect the RO.

So now what?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From what I've heard and read, the girl was sitting stolidly in the seat refusing to move. Not doing anything violent, just refusing to move. I've dealt with teenagers in that kind of mental state--even a couple of young military troops in that mental state. They are essentially in the same mental fugue as someone standing out on the ledge of a building. They really need someone to spend twenty or thirty minutes quietly talking them down.

Presuming the school has counselors, if they don't have 20 minutes to spend counseling in this kind of situation, what are they really there for?

The kids are there for education and not to listen to a counselor trying to talk down a stubborn teen to get out of her chair. Only suggestion I would have for a situation like that is to call her parent to come and pick her up and not bring her back till she learns very basic manners.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
So some of you think it is perfectly fine to treat a student this way? Even though the child/teenager/young adult whomever, is not a gun-carrying thug threatening lives, but a citizen who still has rights by law? Got it. I guess if the police had tazed or cracked her once or twice with his night stick that would have been okay too, after all, she needs to do what she is told and violence will make that happen. Just the message we want to give our young people. No one seems to really know what was on the girl's mind - how do we know she wasn't frightened and acting up out of fear? Why didn't the teacher just ignore her or call her parents? It is just easier to knock some sense into her right?
While you can argue that this cop perhaps went abit overboard in the use of force, why is it most incidents like these that involve blacks it usually includes them not following some sort of rule or law and/or not obeying the orders of authority figures? Why do so many blacks seem to think that they can do whatever THEY want whenever THEY want with no regard to anyone else or any rules? And then if you should god forbid tell them to stop they get angry and start pulling out the race card and say you're treating them differently than other people.

Quote:
If the policeman just felt he had to exercise his authority in some way, why not just grip her underneath her arm and march her out of the classroom and directly to the principal's office? Easier to fling her I suppose.
Maybe that cop should've been more gentle initially, but lets be real if she was going to comply and leave she would've done so LONG AGO before they had to call the police in to get her. And even if the cop had tried to gently lift her up to get her out of her seat, I seriously doubt she would've complied and the end result would've been the same but just delayed for a few seconds or a minute more.

Quote:
Hypocrites who claim it is just so awful and abusive when a parent hits a misbehaving child think it is okay if the person is a policeman - that gives him the right to handcuff anyone he pleases from 1 to 100, sling them across the floor, just whatever his mood dictates because he is wearing a badge and the hell with civil rights or any kind of rights at all.
Police SHOULD have respect for people and treat them decently, no question about that. BUT people SHOULD be doing the same and respect authority and treat them decently as well. Its a two way street, but for some reason its usually blacks who call for respect and better treatment but RARELY IF EVER return the favor and have the common decency to DO WHAT THEY PREACH. Namely everyone must respect and treat blacks as equals, but blacks treating other people INCLUDING THEMSELVES with the same respect and decency? Yeah fat chance of that ever happening. Blacks are the epitome of 'Do as I say and not as I do'.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: off topic trolling

Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Had the student been left alone, at what point does someone need to het her out of the classroom? What happens when other students decide not to leave because that student decided to stay?

Then what? Discuss the situation until everyone apologizes to the student because she decided to act out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies