Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 AM

23,627 posts, read 13,823,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
.........As it is now, she's a typical teenager. Overly stubborn. We can live with that, even well into adulthood. Lots of people are overly stubborn........
CAN WE?

When are people going to get the point that there are aspects of life that they must obey? If they don't do it early when the offenses are "minor", what will stop them from committing larger offenses, perhaps errors in judgement, later if they always think they can just talk their way out of?

One of the better lessons I've seen is a teen made PSA's for drunk driving where the officer in the detention center laying down the law to the accused driver, who is trying to talk his way out of it, that he is in serious trouble, he has been arrested for DWI, and he doesn't say anymore what he will do and not do.

Is that what it will take to get the point across, to let them go on and on until they have really messed it up and its no longer not serious anymore?

Finally, an observation from my police dispatcher of decades ago. I had a sailor who was in financial trouble and we were bending over backwards to help her (we later determined that she was a thief and a liar). At one point, my dispatcher said, "By spending so much time on her, you are hurting the rest of us.".

Is that what we want? To spend so much time on that injured by appearance who is disobeying that we end up hurting those who have not done any wrong?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 AM

25,756 posts, read 21,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
It's harrowing to see the (lack of) reactions from everyone else in the classroom. Basically "this is how things are. Oh okay."
Perhaps they know their classmate well enough to not react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here's a novel concept: How about parents start teaching their children RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY?

If the student had done as she was told, the officer wouldn't have had to manhandle her.

I have no pity for her. What should they have done? Dismissed class for the day and hope her highness would behave better tomorrow? FAT CHANCE of that once she knew SHE was in control.

Should we allow disruptive, disrespectful children to hold education hostage to their whims? To hell with the students who are there to learn?

The same goes for police.

If you do not want to be manhandled, tazered or shot, respect their authority and do as you are told.
^^^This. We don't what exactly was happening from a distance or what had happened in the past. I didn't think he was harming her. She was being restained because she didn't have the good sense to comply with a request from a police officer.

I am just guessing the other kids in the class were probably glad they were just getting her removed.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,584,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Go up to her grab her and lead her out or put handcuffs on her if she refuses. Throwing her to the ground is not a good solution especially when she was not violent.
She was violent … She struck the officer in the face ...

Old 10-28-2015, 06:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,812,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
What should the cop have done … ???
Why don't you use your reading comprehension skills to read what I previously wrote???
Not saying you have to agree. It's just my "personal" opinion. This is a forum right???

Old 10-28-2015, 06:20 AM

465 posts, read 416,530 times
Default its true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In the city I worked in a female cop worked in the toughest school in the district, but she was amazingly skilled at defusing situations and not resorting to physical force.
I worked along side a woman who was extremely good at calming domestic disturbances. As the supervisor, I made especially sure that she responded to each such call. During my time with her, we did not have any calls that escalated out of control.

Also, I would like to say that I am so glad that I am not a Cop anymore. Obviously, problem #1 is the fact that cameras are everywhere. Cops are under the microscope. Stress for Cops is at an all time high. Cops are responding to high stress environments but then they are scrutinized for every move...that is a tough situation.

In regards to the officer in the video. Personally I don't think his response was over the time...BUT!!, he is an extremely large muscular man which made his actions look very very very bad...which connects to my point. Officers are trained on the use of force continuum. I think that he violated that model of force, which is why he should be fired.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,584,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
CAN WE?

When are people going to get the point that there are aspects of life that they must obey? If they don't do it early when the offenses are "minor", what will stop them from committing larger offenses, perhaps errors in judgement, later if they always think they can just talk their way out of?

One of the better lessons I've seen is a teen made PSA's for drunk driving where the officer in the detention center laying down the law to the accused driver, who is trying to talk his way out of it, that he is in serious trouble, he has been arrested for DWI, and he doesn't say anymore what he will do and not do.

Is that what it will take to get the point across, to let them go on and on until they have really messed it up and its no longer not serious anymore?

Finally, an observation from my police dispatcher of decades ago. I had a sailor who was in financial trouble and we were bending over backwards to help her (we later determined that she was a thief and a liar). At one point, my dispatcher said, "By spending so much time on her, you are hurting the rest of us.".

Is that what we want? To spend so much time on that injured by appearance who is disobeying that we end up hurting those who have not done any wrong?
Some of the very revealing desk cam videos illustrate the same kind of person as an "adult" -- refusing to give the officer the required documents, cussing out the officer who is just doing her/his job (trying to keep the rest of us safe from jerks and predators), then refusing to get out of the vehicle and stupidly getting him/herself arrested ...

Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 AM

1,077 posts, read 867,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
We pay Police to PREVENT violence in school, not to create it.
If a student doesn't listen to a teacher, it doesn't mean we call the LAW on them

Then try to get them assaulted for ignoring a Teachers directive. GOOD GOD!!!

This is CRAZY and it's CHILD ABUSE. For all the kids who were subjected to this violence of their own peer, and the victim

Those of you who promote this child abuse should be ASHAMED of yourselves

I also look at the size of him and the size of her. Sure, she shouldn't have had her phone out and talking on it, my grandchildren have phones in school just in case of an emergency, they are not to use them in school unless an emergency arises.

Now all who are saying this was okay for the SRO to use excessive force, I wonder how anyone would feel if it was their child being thrown around by a man two to three times her size?

While she was not complying with his demand to put the phone away or to stand up or whatever, his reaction to her was over the top.

This Officer Fields has prior complaints on him for use of excessive force.
Who Is Ben Fields, the Police Officer Filmed Flipping a Spring Valley High School Student?

Quote:

S.C. Sen. and former Spring Valley student Joel Lourie, D-Richland, released
a statement by email, expressing sympathy for the student and her family.

“I have watched with horror the disturbing video from Spring Valley High
School today,” Lourie said Monday night. “As the father of two children,
including a daughter, my thoughts and prayers are with the young lady, her
family and the entire Richland 2 community who are all severely hurting right
now. I cannot imagine what could have led to such a violent response from the
law enforcement officer. I am confident that both the school district and the
sheriff’s department will do a quick but thorough investigation to bring us all
the facts and take the appropriate action necessary.”
Sheriff

The violent response comes from feeling disrespected. He needs to get a grip on his anger and responses, if he remains an officer of the law.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,481,825 times
So if my kid sasses back at me or refuses to listen, it's okay for me to bodyslam her to the floor? I would be in jail before she even hit the ground if I treated my OWN child in that violent a fashion. But I'm supposed to send her to school where a cop has the right to slam her around? That is the biggest crock of crap I've ever heard.

Nothing this girl did warranted that type of reaction. She wasn't a physical threat. She wasn't screaming or threatening anyone. She violated some minor infraction, whether it was gum or the cell phone. Kids break rules in school every single day. How many of them get savagely and viciously slammed around for it?

Did anyone even TRY calling her parents? Was this even a situation that WARRANTED a police officer? Like a kid being brutally thrown to the ground and dragged was less distracting to the class than the girl pulling her cell phone out? This makes no sense at all, and what makes even less sense are the people defending this. So the next time one of your kids breaks a minor classroom rule, remember it's okay for a cop to storm into the classroom and assault them for it, WITHOUT EVEN ATTEMPTING TO CONTACT A PARENT. if that happened to their kid, the same people cheering this cop on would be fuming.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,378,488 times
If you lay a hand on a law enforcement officer, you should not be surprised if it ends with you needing an ambulance and medical treatment. Assault on a police officer should be a death sentence for the perp if they are 18yrs old or above.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Almost every student who has a cell phone has been on it at some point during class. many are lucky enough to not get caught. You're asking all these questions for these kids, are you serious right now? Do you really think any of them thought this would be the result?

All these questions for the girl. And now the students. But not for the cop.

Typical.

FTR, I really don't have a problem with the cop until the last few seconds with that absolutely unnecessary and excessive move at the end.

But yeah, typical.
So its ok to totally disregard classroom rules and ignore the teacher? Typical. I'll assume yes it must be common practice in some schools as none of the students thought there would be any consequences.

Yes I'm asking these questions. Taking my post in context you would know these questions were in response to the question being asked as to why the kids didn't intervene or stand up for the girl.
Ok to ask those questions but not why did they not intervene before the situation escalated?

Typical.
Yes I question why the cop had to use excessive force but I wasnt responding to a post questioning his actions. I imagine the cop is answering those question already.

But yeah, typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies