Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 08:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times

Advertisements

You know what surprised me? That she was 18. I thought she was younger. Wow.

Again I don't agree with throwing across the room but I would love to know why she would think it's perfectly fine to flaunt rules, ignore 3 not 1, but 3 adults including a police officer. Has her parents come forward yet?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM

755 posts, read 674,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

Again I don't agree with throwing across the room but I would love to know why she would think it's perfectly fine to flaunt rules, ignore 3 not 1, but 3 adults including a police officer. Has her parents come forward yet?

I am going to thumbs up everyone who does not support disruptive classroom behavior. I am going to thumbs up anyone who believes students should follow instructions of the teacher, let alone the officer.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:55 AM

1,077 posts, read 870,912 times
Quote:

I just posted an article that states she is 16.

I also posted where she just lost her mother and grandmother within 6 months.

Her mom is allegedly deceased along with grandma.

Now I found this little snippet.

Quote:
"The administrator tried to get her to move and pleaded with her to get out of
her seat," Robinson told WLTX. "She said she really hadn't done anything wrong.
She said she took her phone out, but it was only for a quick second, you know,
please, she was begging, apologetic."
Lawyer: Arrested S.C. student suffered several injuries - CBS News

So if above is true, why did the teacher insist on making this out to be criminal incident?

If this girl was apologetic, why didn't the teacher say, ok, if you take that phone out again, you will not remain in this class, or something to that effect.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I just posted an article that states she is 16.

I also posted where she just lost her mother and grandmother within 6 months.

Her mom is allegedly deceased along with grandma.

Now I found this little snippet.

Lawyer: Arrested S.C. student suffered several injuries - CBS News

So if above is true, why did the teacher insist on making this out to be criminal incident?

If this girl was apologetic, why didn't the teacher say, ok, if you take that phone out again, you will not remain in this class, or something to that effect.

The apologetic comment was by a student. The administrators said the girl took out the phone several times and wouldn't hand it over. That article you posted just confirms my suspicions that she should know better and just left. Not only did the 3 adults tell her to go, the other students also told her to just go. Again I don't agree with the throwing across the room but the officer can forcibly remove her from her chair. I remember as a kid who wouldn't shut up in class and my teacher would whip my chair out unexpectedly to where I fell to the floor. I shut up after that!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
She should have given the teacher the phone as she was told. She broke the rules of using the phone, she should face the consequences.

Let's see here:
1. If she followed the rules, the teacher wouldn't have asked for the phone.
2. If she would have handed over the phone, class could have continued.
3. If she would have went to the vice principal's office when told by the teacher, the vice principal wouldn't have had to come to the class.
4. If she obeyed the vice principal, the cops wouldn't have been called.
5. If she would have obeyed the officer, the confrontation wouldn't have escalated.

Do you see the trend here?

Over and over, she made the decision not to follow reasonable rules and requests. Her actions, over and over, drove this car over the cliff, and yet some people refuse to acknowledge she created, continued and escalated this problem until it got out of control.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The apologetic comment was by a student. The administrators said the girl took out the phone several times and wouldn't hand it over. That article you posted just confirms my suspicions that she should know better and just left. Not only did the 3 adults tell her to go, the other students also told her to just go. Again I don't agree with the throwing across the room but the officer can forcibly remove her from her chair. I remember as a kid who wouldn't shut up in class and my teacher would whip my chair out unexpectedly to where I fell to the floor. I shut up after that!
[MOD CUT/spam]

Maybe read it again.

The comment was what the girl who was manhandled stated to the teacher according to another student.

If this girl apologized felt she did nothing that wrong to make her go to the administrators office, why wouldn't a sincere apology do? Why would the teacher insist on getting this child removed?

I guess we sit on different sides of the fence but no one, not even an officer of the law would get away with treating my child with such disregard over something so small as a cell phone in a school setting.

It's bad enough one never knows when a frigging massacre will happen, children are sent to school to be safe from harm. This should not and cannot be an acceptable behavior as the new norm.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:

I had not read/heard this. Why then have they not released her name?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
If she had followed the rules and instructions of the teacher none of this would have happened . No she chose to be an unruly brat and disrespectful and I bet you any money she will not forget this for a very long time and rightfully so . she needs to be apologizing to her teacher and the police officer for being disrespectful . If her foster parents were worth anything they would be apologizing as well . But no they want to get a lawyer and act stupid instead , yes I said stupid because that is how this lil snowflake acted stupid .

Old 10-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I had not read/heard this. Why then have they not released her name?
I posted upthread, the girl is 16, no name released. It's an article by Huffington Post.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
If this girl apologized felt she did nothing that wrong to make her go to the administrators office, why wouldn't a sincere apology do? Why would the teacher insist on getting this child removed?
There could be a hundred valid reasons.

Who didn't follow the rules, the girl or the teacher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.