Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 PM

357 posts, read 37,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The officer has had multiple complaints of being too aggressive and forceful over the past couple of years. Looks like his mistakes finally caught up to him. Good. I'm glad to hear he's been fired.

In saying this, I'm not excusing the girls behavior.

Oh really, is that why you've investigated this officer yourself and pointing out his actions; Okay, fine, because somewhere down the road we will be reading about her committing a worse crime!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,909,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The officer has had multiple complaints of being too aggressive and forceful over the past couple of years. Looks like his mistakes finally caught up to him. Good. I'm glad to hear he's been fired.

In saying this, I'm not excusing the girls behavior.
My former comment was not written to support aggressive police behavior, but I do not know why the school called this officer in the first place. When you call the police, to me it means there is a threat to others. Cops aren't babysitters. What was he supposed to do? Leave and say "this isn't a police matter?" Then would he have been fired? If he subdued her with a Taser, I bet he would have been fired. The only choice he had was to walk away, since she would not cooperate. Sounds as if she purposely was defiant. I wonder how much her family is going to get when they file a lawsuit?

The police are trained to protect the public which often involves aggressive behavior. This wasn't Kindergarten Cop. I am not making excuses for him, and maybe he went too far, but why did the teacher call for his help in the first place? If I called a cop because my neighbor was threatening me, I would hope he'd take action to protect me. In this case, the school obviously called so he would remove the student.

RESISTING ARREST
Section 16-9-320(A) of the South Carolina Code defines resisting arrest as intentionally and knowingly avoiding or attempting to avoid arrest. The person resisting arrest must actually know or should have known that the individual conducting the arrest was a law enforcement officer. Resisting arrest under 16-9-320(A) is a misdemeanor offense. Under subsection (B), resisting arrest is a felony offense, if the accused intentionally assaults or injures the officer attempting to arrest him.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,581,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So the kids that weren't causing trouble should sit there, not being taught, for 10 minutes or so, while the special little snowflake calms down?

She was in high school, NOT 9 years old. And the teacher had an obligation to teach EVERY kid in that class, not cater to the idiot student that decided to act up.
9 or 16 is still a child by law.

I know the roid rage cop couldn't have slid her in the chair out into the hallway...

Lastly is their a statute or law on the books for disruptive children in class? The police shouldn't be involved in this period unless she was a violent physical threat.

When i was in high school in the early 90s we had kids act up all the time especially when we had substitute teachers. We even had some pretty bad fights in the lunch room where the football coach simply broke it up and both kids were suspended. Teens acting up in school is nothing new.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:56 PM

575 posts, read 614,658 times
The ex-cop is a big guy. He should have been able to remove the uncooperative student from the desk without slamming the desk down and throwing her across the room. If he couldn't, he should have summoned an additional officer. Instead, when she resisted, he lost his temper and over-reacted. People that cannot control their anger should not be police officers.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:04 PM

211 posts, read 211,388 times
Was the girl being vociferously disruptive while on the phone? One of the things all student teachers are taught in their class management courses is that if a single student has chosen not to learn, but her/his choice not to learn is not keeping anybody from learning, the teacher should simply let it go and focus on the other 20-something kids who are interested in learning. Basically, if the girl is not interested in the class because she's doing something else, but that something else is not bothering anybody, just ignore her.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:13 PM

50,646 posts, read 24,176,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Have you ever seen the inside of an affluent suburban school? If you think that only black students act like this you really need to spend a day in a suburban public school. Your view is very one sided and not very honest. There are difficult kids in all walks of life and all races . americans are not known for raising compliant kids. Its part of our culture. Hollywood emulates this. I'm sorry but your comment is based on false stereotypes. How many spoiled defient kids have shot up their classrooms and schools????? Gimme a break with that black vs white nonsense. We all are to blame.
Well, I spent most of my life teaching and administering in a suburban school, and frankly you've painted way to broad a picture.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Adults should not put their hands on kids in school unless it's to protect a student from harm. Period. Deescalate the situation .
In general I agree, but there are times.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:16 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,268,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Tq4BR5KHuqA

Around 8 seconds into the video, he just throws her across the room. Give me a break if people can't see this. [MOD CUT]
Oh h*** naw I just saw that video and the cop used an excessive amount of force on a young teenage girl, way smaller than him. Race aside, I'm curious why that amount of force was needed to arrest her, especially if she posed no physical threat to him, and had no weapon? Having a smart mouth, doesn't mean you get man-handled by a larger male cop, especially when she was not physically violent with him.

The way she was handled by that cop was completely beyond what needed to be done to arrest a teenage girl that was not violent with him and whom was a female.

Resisting arrest verbally, and refusing to get out of your seat, does not mean that a cop can use excessive physical force that seems more appropriate for a physically violent immediate threat.

I've seen people get arrested twice her size without cops needed to be as violent as this one was.

I can see why people are using the argument that she resisted and this wouldn't have happened if she hadn't resisted, because from that perspective true.

I don't even see how people can honestly compare the use of force this cop used to in school paddling. Smh.

In any case I have a cop friend and a majority of the time in cases like these he often has the same response: it didn't have to be handled that way. Using force to arrest someone bring resistant isn't the problem, it's the amount of force and whether it's necessary in doing what they need to, which is arrest her. To me it's very simplistic to say that she's a trouble maker criminal resisting arrest so she got what she deserved and had she just went with it wouldn't have happened. Well duh, that's a given, she should have cooperated. But does being resistant and keeping in mind her age, gender, crime, was there a more effective way to use force that would have still resulted in an arrest? Was that amount of force really needed to arrest her? Had he just yanked of pulled her up and pressed her against the wall he could have thrown the cuffs on her and arrested her. Based on his size and the fact that he was standing over he had more power and more of an advantage in simply grabbing her up and placing her against the wall. But the way he did it was as if she had just assaulted
him or tried to run away and to me it just never even had to get to that point.

Two wrongs don't make right. A bad mouth problem in the classroom resisting arrest will face the consequences at the station. But she's a teenager. This man is a grown male adult in a position of power. So when he commits a wrong against a teenager then yes that wrong to me is a big one and needs to be addressed appropriately.

No he was not right in this situation.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh, give it a break. I and my kids went to school with no phones, and if you look at the violent crime statistics, they were much higher then as compared to now. The perceived difference is the 24 hour instant on news cycle.

I can guarantee you if I were the principal, the cell phones would be in the lockers. If taken out, one warning, after that, confiscated and NOT returned. Both parents and student would acknowledge that in writing before the school started.

And if you whine and complain. Tough.
If you think that's such a great policy, why is it not the policy in most schools today. Our school system tried it; it was more trouble than it was worth.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:20 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,268,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So the kids that weren't causing trouble should sit there, not being taught, for 10 minutes or so, while the special little snowflake calms down?

She was in high school, NOT 9 years old. And the teacher had an obligation to teach EVERY kid in that class, not cater to the idiot student that decided to act up.
True, but keeping all that in perspective, the cop did not and should not have used that amount of force to arrest her. Kids that misbehave and or problems in classrooms need to be put out, or sent to an alternative school, reprimanded etc, not manhandled by police as if they just brought a gun in the room.

The girl is a problem but the way the police handled it, turned this into an even bigger problem, and it didn't even have to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies