Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times

Advertisements

The teacher could have stopped the entire incident.

The girl was wrong to take out her phone--okay. But she put it away. Then there are conflicting accounts of whether the teacher asked for the phone or asked the girl to leave.

The teacher could have just let it alone and moved on rather than insist the girl either give up her phone or leave. The teacher escalated a situation that she could have just let be. Choose your battles wisely. Sounds like the teacher could have cooled it, but didn't.

This is exactly what the sheriff said--the school should be able to handle it without cops.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you think that's such a great policy, why is it not the policy in most schools today. Our school system tried it; it was more trouble than it was worth.
Because millennials are now teachers too and i'm sure they didn't like the policy. Millennials are the ones who can't live or think without a phone.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:26 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why are cops supposed to be in schools to monitor violence and crime?
Monitor, like watch and keep records?
We don't need Police Officers in the school. If there is a crime committed call for an on duty officer and file a police report.
That's not really why they're in schools.

1. Increased gang activity in some schools.
2. Increased weapons in some schools.
3. Having police officers there who are supposed to be trained to work with kids, rather than having some wahoo cop called in who doesn't know how to handle kids.
4. Develop positive relationships with kids so that they see the police in a positive light.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 PM

357 posts, read 37,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
The girl is a problem but the way the police handled it, turned this into an even bigger problem, and it didn't even have to go there.

You're right about one thing "it didn't have to go there", but she insisted on acting a fool, so it did!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Then we have a SERIOUS problem with both our education system and police force if "disrupting class" is now an arrestable offense. Police shouldn't even be involved except for actual violent situations (eg, fights, weapons involved, etc). If we're going to arrest every single tween and teen for being disrespectful in class, we might as well convert the gymnasium into a miniature jail and have cops dual major in education and have them teach instead.
eevee, don't take things to such extremes. In my jurisdiction, disrupting school was technically a violation of the law. We never used it in our school, and I rarely heard of it being used EXCEPT in a few cases where it was an added charge with some other charge(s).

Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoad View Post
You're right about one thing "it didn't have to go there", but she insisted on acting a fool, so it did!
All kids act a fool. I'm sure you weren't an angel either. I've worked with plenty of kids and every kid has a moment where they want to act up. There is no need to body slam a child for acting up because it's what they do. They don't have the maturity to realize the consequences of their actions. But the consequences shouldn't be physically humiliating a child especially one whose mother and grandmother just died.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
exactly
this school has a long history of gangs, violence, and drugs
there is a cop there FOR A REASON...he has probably had to deal with these ignorant thugs too long

she was given every chance to comply, by teacher, vice princ, principal, and finally the cop...all before she was forcibly taken

what was the cop supposed to do, walk away...call parent(s) that is most likely part of the problem...

she deserved to be TAKEN out of there...and expelled
the cop did over react a bit...maybe reassigned somewhere else as he obviously has had enough with these thugs and hood rats...
Expulsion is a very serious, almost last resort response to student behavior. Education is considered by courts to be a "property right". To deprive someone of their rightful property is extremely serious.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
This all boils down to a girl with issues and a cop who may be too gung ho being drug into a situation that should have been settled with the school administration.
Did the cop make mistakes? Yep, as did the girl. If the school knew of her issues (as have been shown in this thread) then THEY should also have known how to handle things a bit more tactfully and not involved the SRO to begin with.
Could it be that the school was a bit to eager to pass the buck to the SRO and let him deal with their issue?
Why would that be?

Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 PM

357 posts, read 37,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
All kids act a fool. I'm sure you weren't an angel either. I've worked with plenty of kids and every kid has a moment where they want to act up. There is no need to body slam a child for acting up because it's what they do. They don't have the maturity to realize the consequences of their actions. But the consequences shouldn't be physically humiliating a child especially one whose mother and grandmother just died.

No, all kids do not act a fool, you're wrong on that one; Was I an angel, no, but you can best believe I never had to have the cops called on me to control my behavior, because I would have gotten worse from my parents when I got home.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoad View Post
No, all kids do not act a fool, you're wrong on that one; Was I an angel, no, but you can best believe I never had to have the cops called on me to control my bad behavior.
The cops shouldn't have been called in this situation either. This was a total overreaction.

Most kids do act up at some point during their child hood. How nice that you were a miss goody two shoes, but that's not every child. And I don't think every child should be held to that standard especially considering her mother and grandmother died.

Did you also lose your parents at a young age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies