Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From what I've heard and read, the girl was sitting stolidly in the seat refusing to move. Not doing anything violent, just refusing to move. I've dealt with teenagers in that kind of mental state--even a couple of young military troops in that mental state. They are essentially in the same mental fugue as someone standing out on the ledge of a building. They really need someone to spend twenty or thirty minutes quietly talking them down.

Presuming the school has counselors, if they don't have 20 minutes to spend counseling in this kind of situation, what are they really there for?
And today we learn this:

Quote:
Life for a 16-year-old black girl in the New South who lost her mother and is living in a foster home is no crystal stair.

In an interview with the Daily News, Todd Rutherford, the respected Columbia, S.C., attorney representing the assault victim of the recently terminated Deputy Ben Fields, revealed that his client, in addition to suffering injuries on her face, neck, and arm, is a recent orphan living in foster care.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/nation...4901?cid=bitly

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
The ex-cop is a big guy. He should have been able to remove the uncooperative student from the desk without slamming the desk down and throwing her across the room. If he couldn't, he should have summoned an additional officer. Instead, when she resisted, he lost his temper and over-reacted. People that cannot control their anger should not be police officers.

I agree completely. Law enforcement is no place for violent hot heads who can not control their tempers. They should not be employed in that field.

I also agree that there were other options open to him. Calling another officer would have been the best option - brains over brawn.

But he wanted to show those kids who was boss - that he is THE MAN.

Really? Now he's THE MAN without a job. Which is as it should be.

THUG.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:06 PM

357 posts, read 37,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
And I don't think every child should be held to that standard especially considering her mother and grandmother died.

Did you also lose your parents at a young age?

Well, I did lose my son at a young age, but that would be no excuse to act a fool; look, lots of people have lost their parents and they don't act a fool, so stop making excuses for some chick wit attitude problems.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: race baiting

Old 10-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Was the girl being vociferously disruptive while on the phone? One of the things all student teachers are taught in their class management courses is that if a single student has chosen not to learn, but her/his choice not to learn is not keeping anybody from learning, the teacher should simply let it go and focus on the other 20-something kids who are interested in learning. Basically, if the girl is not interested in the class because she's doing something else, but that something else is not bothering anybody, just ignore her.
This is what I don't get. I keep reading post after post about her "disrupting" the class. Simply having a phone in your hand is not disruptive. Yakking away on the phone, or playing some annoyingly loud game or blasting Spotify is. No account I've heard yet reported her being loud, obnoxious, or disruptive...just having her phone out. The teacher could have told her to put it away and left it at that. If she chose not to, and chose not to pay attention to the class, that's her choice. She doesn't have to learn, and the teacher cannot bully her into learning. The students who want to learn will learn whether or not another student has a cell phone in their hand.

Basically, both the teacher and the SRO wanted to flex their muscles and show everybody who was boss. If the main concern was her "disruption" of the class, I can't imagine watching their classmate get slung and thrown around the room didn't distract the other students more than a stupid phone. Complete overreaction. I'm glad the cop was fired and the school administration needs to have their asses handed to them as well.

Kids misbehave sometimes. If someone is in a position where they can't handle a defiant, smart mouthed, smart aleck teenager without resorting to violence, they need to find another line of work.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree completely. Law enforcement is no place for violent hot heads who can not control their tempers. They should not be employed in that field.

I also agree that there were other options open to him. Calling another officer would have been the best option - brains over brawn.

But he wanted to show those kids who was boss - that he is THE MAN.

Really? Now he's THE MAN without a job. Which is as it should be.

THUG.
The officer is actually a power lifter. The students say he had a reputation in school as a dangerous man. I do wonder if we witnessed 'roid rage.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
eevee, don't take things to such extremes. In my jurisdiction, disrupting school was technically a violation of the law. We never used it in our school, and I rarely heard of it being used EXCEPT in a few cases where it was an added charge with some other charge(s).
Okay, then define "disrupting school" because there are plenty of dress codes that state that having Mohawks/pink hair/exposed collar bones/long hair on boys as "disruptive" to the point where these kids are punished. Is all that against the law in your jurisdiction? To what degree must a child be disruptive in order to get arrested? Pulling out a phone is not disruptive to learning; watching a girl get body slammed and dragged across the room by a cop IS.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The officer is actually a power lifter. The students say he had a reputation in school as a dangerous man. I do wonder if we witnessed 'roid rage.
That's interesting. Sounds like he was more suited working in a prison than a school.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Cop was fired, I am sure he will be working as a mall cop soon.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I just watched a video in which a student who attends that school said the officer is a nice guy. Is the media only showing up what they want us to see?

Yes, maybe he went too far, but why was he called to the classroom in the first place?

Even the teacher said his actions were appropriate at first, so now it's become political. This video was already posted, but go to 2:20 and listen to the student.

[URL="http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sheriff-says-third-video-shows-south-carolina-student-punching-officer-n452481"]Sheriff Says 'Third Video' Shows South Carolina Student Punching Officer in Classroom[/URL]

Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I just watched a video in which a student (a young Black girl) who went to that school said the officer is a nice guy. Is the media is only showing up what they want us to see?

Yes, maybe he went too far, but why was he called to the classroom in the first place?

Even the teacher said his actions were appropriate at first, so now it's become political. This video was already posted, but go to 2:20 and listen to the student.

Sheriff Says 'Third Video' Shows South Carolina Student Punching Officer in Classroom
Plenty of students have come out and said that this cop has attacked several other students before. He seems to have been sued quite a few times for excessive force.

Who Is Ben Fields, the Police Officer Filmed Flipping a Spring Valley High School Student?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies