Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is a terrible shame what happened to her. No doubt about it.

I suspect she isn't the only one in that classroom dealing with tragedy. I'll be there are other students who have lost siblings, parents, grandparents and other close relatives. Probably a few dealing with drama around parental relationships as well. I imagine several are being abused even as we natter on here. I'll bet she isn't even the only foster kid in the room either.

If this class is like any other classroom in the country, there will be half a dozen or more students with with an ADHD, Autism Spectrum, etc. diagnosis and their IEPs often specify that they are to receive special consideration as well for their behavior.

It could be that more than half the class is struggling with something that they need special consideration for.

Should they all be allowed to fool around on their computers during class projects and use their phones "for a moment?" Should anyone need to follow the directions of the teachers and principals?

Often time the best thing for kids dealing with troubles is a safe environment with clear boundaries. My guess is this young woman is testing the boundaries and she's found out she can create quite a commotion.

So let the commotion reign while we show empathy and consideration for all their troubles and misfortunes.
Yes …

When summoned by the teacher and/or administrator to handle a problem kid, before even entering the classroom, the SRO should first review the student's file and perhaps consult with her/his physician, counselor, social worker and parents ...

Old 10-29-2015, 12:27 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
While both of them are to blame for this farce, the SRO should have known better than to go off on the student. He could have just as easily pushed the desk-chair with girl in it out of the classroom without even laying a hand on her. I think his testosterone got the best of him.
Yes. It was a terrible situation that never should have come to violence. Mishandled from the beginning.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:28 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …

When summoned by the teacher and/or administrator to handle a problem kid, before even entering the classroom, the SRO should first review the student's file and perhaps consult with her/his physician, counselor, social worker and parents ...
By the time he does all that the class would be over. Problem solved.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I don't excuse her defiance but I feel she has a reason for acting out, I have compassion and empathy.

This young lady's mother died in January and her Grandmother in June and is now in the Foster Care system which is horrendous in itself.

Could be she's having a very hard time adjusting to this new life she was thrust into.

So a little compassion goes a long way, especially for something so minor as not giving up her cell phone.

I wonder if the school is aware and if they are why weren't they more understanding?
Agree, I lost my parents just a year apart as a middle aged man, it was a blow. I can't even imagine how a younger person would feel. Than add in now you're in the foster care system and don't have too long to go when you will be released from the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That "cop" is trained and old enough to know what level of force is necessary and is required to comply with state and federal laws (oh, and the 4th amendment) when making an arrest. He is, after all, a public servant.

But keep holding a foster child to a higher level of accountability and expectation than a trained police officer.

No one is saying the way this girl acted isn't wrong, but the fact that you're trying so damn hard to vilify her, and somehow justify the excessive force of this officer is, among many other things, quite sad.
Exactly. At the end of the day he was the adult in the situation.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:34 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
If the school system wants a social worker instead of a cop, they should hire a social worker …
Typically, a school resource officer is placed in a school by the police department, not hired by school.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Equally applied to the incompetent principal who obviously could not handle such a minor issue. Perhaps he/she is an example of the Peter Principle.
I don't disagree.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No … Teachers and school administrators are in the same kind of trouble as the cops in our communities …

"WHAT … ??? How dare you discipline/scold/lay a hand on my sweet little darling … ??? I'll sue your ass, you sorry ass, then YOU'LL be sorry …"
You're making broad generalities that don't really work.

Try Fairfax County, Virginia or Montgomery County, Maryland.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
While both of them are to blame for this farce, the SRO should have known better than to go off on the student. He could have just as easily pushed the desk-chair with girl in it out of the classroom without even laying a hand on her. I think his testosterone got the best of him.
With his record of law suits, it's surprising they let him work with kids. It just looks bad when you unload on a kid, even if it's justified. Moving the chair with her in it out of the classroom and out of view would have been the better approach. He could still rough her up in the hallway when no one was watching.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:46 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
It amazes me that so many people on CD expect more "common sense" from a teenager than a grown man who also has professional training on diffusing difficult situations.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Are you supporting vigilante justice?

If that was done to this young lady then by all means show how much of a coward the SRO surely is.

Folks are going to revolt. They are sick and tired of being sick and tired of their young men and woman being assaulted, killed on a daily basis on some small infraction, not having a weapon and still shot dead.

We need to move away from the likes of that and make it easier to approach a LEO.

We need to break down the barriers of them vs us.

We need to live in a society where we all get along. Creeds, religions, colors should all co exist without the biases.

We are one race, the human race and until folks start to think this way, we are in a world of caca.

Savages, thugs, killers come in all colors and sizes, how about just focusing on the crime and not the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies