Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. declare English & French as official language like Canada?
Yes 4 7.14%
No 52 92.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times

Advertisements

Parely vous what the frack?

English and French? Who the heck speaks Frog in the US?

Espanglish maybe, I can see enough of them taking over eventually to force american english speakers into being second class citizens in 50-100 years.

Actually I really enjoyed taking French classes and I was once able to read and speak reasonably well. But since I don't exactly have the budget to lunch in Paris on the Concorde or to vacation in Martinique or Tahiti, I never got much chance to use it.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Love to speak Frencb and English, but no real use here. Spanish/Sign Language are the biggest second languages I feel need to know in the U.S. I am surprised healthcare providers aren't requiring and making us learn Spanish yet.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Just when you think you've heard the dumbest proposal ever, a new one comes along and tops it lol

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
No, there should not be an official language in the US.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Currently the United States has no official language even though English is the national language and the language of the government and on road signs as well as the only language spoken by majority of Americans. Although Spanish is spoken by slightly less than 15% of Americans and mainly settled in larger cities and in southern states close to the Mexican border, the French language is still the second most spoken language after English in parts of the northern states close to the Canadian border.

French is the second most taught language in the United States and the world, and both English and French are the main official languages of the United Nations. English and French are also the top two languages spoken officially by number of countries in the world despite both languages having less native language speakers than some other languages. Sharing the world's longest border with Canada where English & French are spoken is also a big plus for trade and business, and both countries could share same products now without paying anything extra as both are each others trading partner.

So my proposal is to have both English and French the official language of the United States which means that French would be included on all packages and consumer goods, as well as including bilingual signs on new road signs and bilingual posters at the federal government. French would be mandated and taught starting from first grade.

Spanish is the second most spoken language with 35 million. French only has 1.3 million.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post

So my proposal is to have both English and French the official language of the United States which means that French would be included on all packages and consumer goods, as well as including bilingual signs on new road signs and bilingual posters at the federal government. French would be mandated and taught starting from first grade.
You're a French major facing a limited job market aren't you?

Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Love to speak Frencb and English, but no real use here. Spanish/Sign Language are the biggest second languages I feel need to know in the U.S. I am surprised healthcare providers aren't requiring and making us learn Spanish yet.
The only reason that Spanish is prevalent in the U.S. (and only in certain parts) is directly due to illegal immigration. No thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
English yes, French no.
Agreed.

French and Spanish ain't important in MOST of the world, English IS.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:21 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Declaring "Official Language" is something NOT appropriate to any Nations..even tho Canada has enabled French speaking folks to both languages nationwide..BUT to designate OFFICIAL language...Bupkis!! Just because recognize French language in allowing official Federal Government documents..Certainly isn't even close to Official Language REQUIRED..

Back in my day 1960's living in Montreal..This is how Quebec started...using such an agenda..Stop signs had both "STOP" and "ARRET" on all of them..but since then it migrated into business signage..to only FRENCH...believe me..Slippery slope was demonstrated primarily by Province of Quebec....

I lived thru FLQ attacks..( post box bombings and kidnappings of Political representative) and realized by end of '60's..Quebec was not so happy with English folks..Sad!!

I learned a lot of french and the ability to cope with those who refused to speak English..and Yep..I survived..rose above the nasty French media promoting making Quebec to be totally FRENCH..Even back in the day France's Leader Charles DeGaulle took his shot at moving the "Quiet Revolution" forward...
Canadian Parliamentary Review - Article
This makes it sound like it was French that was imposed (somewhat unnaturally) in Quebec when in actual fact if you know the history French is the original language there - at least when it comes to its settlement and development into a society - and it's arguably English that was "imposed" on the long-established majority of francophones.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Declaring "Official Language" is something NOT appropriate to any Nations..even tho Canada has enabled French speaking folks to both languages nationwide..BUT to designate OFFICIAL language...Bupkis!! Just because recognize French language in allowing official Federal Government documents..Certainly isn't even close to Official Language REQUIRED..

Back in my day 1960's living in Montreal..This is how Quebec started...using such an agenda..Stop signs had both "STOP" and "ARRET" on all of them..but since then it migrated into business signage..to only FRENCH...believe me..Slippery slope was demonstrated primarily by Province of Quebec....

I lived thru FLQ attacks..( post box bombings and kidnappings of Political representative) and realized by end of '60's..Quebec was not so happy with English folks..Sad!!

I learned a lot of french and the ability to cope with those who refused to speak English..and Yep..I survived..rose above the nasty French media promoting making Quebec to be totally FRENCH..Even back in the day France's Leader Charles DeGaulle took his shot at moving the "Quiet Revolution" forward...
Canadian Parliamentary Review - Article

MY whole point is..even suggesting USA recognizing French as an official language is not even remotely feasible..let alone a viable law!!
Agreed. Too; I thimk "Arret" is a Quebec thing, NOT a French thing since the English word "Stop" in on stop signs in France as well as Germany, Spain, Hungary and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ean_road_signs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies