Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My friend, Joyce, 49, an air stewardess for an American airline, doesn't mince her words. 'Passengers are getting so fat, we'll soon be able to give up using tray tables and they can just use their stomachs,' she grumbles.

She's all for passengers standing on the scales with their luggage at check-in. 'There should be a weight limit, with charges payable above that. It also means the pilot knows exactly what weight the plane will be carrying, making fuel requirements more accurate.' In the same way many smokers support the smoking ban, a lot of overweight people support the idea of a flying fat tax. But there is, predictably, much opposition. The trouble is, being obese is now seen as an illness, rather than a condition of our own making.
Read more: Why fat people should be charged more to fly than thin people | Daily Mail Online

Not sure I agree with charging by the pound, as this would be more than unfair to tall people who aren't fat at all and require only one seat.

I think if your fat rolls are going to occupy two seats, however, then you should have to pay for two seats. I've encountered this problem at sporting events as well. At one memorable baseball game a couple of years ago, the gentleman in the seat next to me was so large he overflowed into both my seat on his left and the seat on his right. Needless to say, I went to the standing room only section to watch the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Next you will want to charge us GIMPS for walking to slow to suit you. The weight and balance figures are made to compensate for any extra weight. How much extra do you think it will be? 500 lbs at the most maybe on a complete flight. Why should you be charged for that fecal matter you produced in the lav. You could have taken a dump before boarding.

Wheel chairs cost a lot of money and definitely slow down the line on the jetway. Should i be charged for that wheel chair as well?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
if we're going to screw people for some things it all to be for everybody across the board.

is a concept, stop screwing everybody.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Next you will want to charge us GIMPS for walking to slow to suit you. The weight and balance figures are made to compensate for any extra weight. How much extra do you think it will be? 500 lbs at the most maybe on a complete flight. Why should you be charged for that fecal matter you produced in the lav. You could have taken a dump before boarding.

Wheel chairs cost a lot of money and definitely slow down the line on the jetway. Should i be charged for that wheel chair as well?
Only if the wheel chair is being used by someone who is too fat to walk.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Only if the wheel chair is being used by someone who is too fat to walk.
How is any one other than a DR.able tell if it is a true medical condition or someone that just loves to eat?

When you mature more you will begin to understand more of how life is.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I don't care about someone else's weight as long as they keep their body parts on their own seat and not on my lap!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
As a very small person who more than once has had to share my paid for seat with a very large person next to me, I'm all for requiring people of a certain size to buy two seats. I paid the same amount for my seat as they did, why should they get to have half of mine for free?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

You should certainly be charged the cost for the weight of your wheelchair if it's being checked as baggage. I don't care how slow you move as long as the flight takes off on time.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As a very small person who more than once has had to share my paid for seat with a very large person next to me, I'm all for requiring people of a certain size to buy two seats. I paid the same amount for my seat as they did, why should they get to have half of mine for free?
Agreed

Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 AM

756 posts, read 424,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't care about someone else's weight as long as they keep their body parts on their own seat and not on my lap!
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies