Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:50 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And another thing about your "smart" liberal boxes that they put people into.....

Do you want to know one reason why our black students perform worse on writing essays in English for the SAT/ACT than English as a Second Language students?

Because you liberals put them in a "sensitive" box where some schools say it is okay for them to use ebonics - don't correct spelling and grammar! Your box sets the standards so low for them, doesn't have them practice the writing in the traditional academic way and then we are dumbfounded when they perform worse on writing on tests and in college --- then other liberals run in and scream to hide the evil racist data rather than fixing the teaching.

We are setting these kids up to fail and are enabling a culture of "soft-bigotry" through low expectations.
I'm no liberal man, I'm saying these idiot liberals keep black people down buy lowering expectations from them and letting them get away with substandard work and substandard behavior.

Expect the same from everyone, make no exceptions. That's just the way it has to be. And stop giving welfare to single mothers who want to make a career of having babies and not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm no liberal man, I'm saying these idiot liberals keep black people down buy lowering expectations from them and letting them get away with substandard work and substandard behavior.

Expect the same from everyone, make no exceptions. That's just the way it has to be. And stop giving welfare to single mothers who want to make a career of having babies and not working.
Exactly. That should remedy any score gaps and make for a better society. Unfortunately that threatens the progressives.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:46 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As long as we can continue having racial quotas to admit blacks into universities at a much lower grade and score as whites and Asians and incentivize spending life on welfare, they will never advance scholastically.

I grew up in New Orleans area and the average scores at the area high schools were atrocious. But I and some of the black students in the area excelled despite the overall very low averages. Why I'm not exactly sure but I believe it has more to do with parental challenges and expectations than anything else as well as personal motivation.
Few people mention this one mentality behind what's happening. That is giving the poor and blacks just enough so that they can rely on it, a regular poverty that doesn't starve you, and thus permenantely excluding these people from the hotshot fields where whites and asians compete for good incomes and life. in other words, you spare some tax money in exchange for less competition and more peace.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
No kidding, been saying this for years.

Back in 2008 a report came out that showed the following;

Which shows that a white kid with parents earning under $20,000 per year scores the same as a black kid with parents earning over $200K per year.

It's obviously not poverty, "the gap" persists even through income levels. Now perhaps it's "net worth" that is the better indicator of the score gap, but again...that opens up an entirely new can of worms.

We haven't even open this can of worms yet, we're not ready to think about another one.

More information here.
education is never solely one thing, and isn't just about class. Education relies on good parenting, good support systems, resources, and peer influence. Race is misleading, as it suggests genetic differences. The reality is more like culture. people's value systems, world view, goals, etc.

To produce high-achieving, ambitious, and intelligent students, the work must be done at both school and home. It often requires two parents who are committed to bettering the lives of their children. It requires encouraging and educative parenting. It requires a conscious effort in broadening the access of information. It requires good teaching and positive peer influence.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
education is never solely one thing, and isn't just about class. Education relies on good parenting, good support systems, resources, and peer influence. Race is misleading, as it suggests genetic differences. The reality is more like culture. people's value systems, world view, goals, etc.

To produce high-achieving, ambitious, and intelligent students, the work must be done at both school and home. It often requires two parents who are committed to bettering the lives of their children. It requires encouraging and educative parenting. It requires a conscious effort in broadening the access of information. It requires good teaching and positive peer influence.

"Two parents" is racist.

At least in the Bay Area.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
"Two parents" is racist.

At least in the Bay Area.
Yes.

It is offensive to point out the statistics.

Two parent kids - even when adjusting for race, location, and socio-economic status are less likely to:

-drop out of school
-live on poverty as an adult
-become a single mom or dead beat dad
-develop depression
-wind up in prison
-commit suicide

...when compared to kids in single parent homes.

We shouldn't chastise single mothers, but we shouldn't hide the truth either with PC BS. Family matters. Parenting matters.

Consider that 3/4ths of kids in Detroit live in single parent homes and it isn't surprising why there are so many issues.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm glad someone gets it. This is what liberals do, they put people in boxes but they are smart about the way they do it. This country was founded on the idea that we were ALL created equal, but look at them chip away at ideals like that.
Yes, if we just expect everyone to be equal, then they will be equal. Why is this so hard for people to understand? People who can't achieve are really just lazy and unambitious. It has nothing to do with differences in natural ability. All men are created equal. It says so in the Declaration of Independence, which is right up there with the Bible. If Thomas Jefferson wrote it, then it has to be true.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:25 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes.

It is offensive to point out the statistics.

Two parent kids - even when adjusting for race, location, and socio-economic status are less likely to:

-drop out of school
-live on poverty as an adult
-become a single mom or dead beat dad
-develop depression
-wind up in prison
-commit suicide

...when compared to kids in single parent homes.

We shouldn't chastise single mothers, but we shouldn't hide the truth either with PC BS. Family matters. Parenting matters.

Consider that 3/4ths of kids in Detroit live in single parent homes and it isn't surprising why there are so many issues.
I'd actually be interested in how strongly single-parent household correlates to SAT scores when controlled for the racial difference. There's evidence that father-absent household does result in dropped SAT scores, which isn't really the same thing. My parents split up when I was pretty young (living apart from when I was about five but my dad was always involved) which is another difference. How does single-parent homes both parents involved differ from father absent? How's that correlate when controlled for racial differences? Black children are much more likely to have the father absent, so how much of it is that? That'd be interesting to know. Also just anecdotal, but most of the black kids (even middle-class) I went to school with their parents didn't stress education as much. Certainly it was still important, but they seemed to be more... well-rounded? Not really sure how to phrase that, but school just took precedence over everything when I was growing up. I wasn't expected to do things like household chores or community engagements to the same extent many of my black friends were. If my room was messy and I didn't do the dishes, so what as long as I did my homework and got good grades. Limited sample size and all that jazz but there did seem to be different expectations with different emphasis. It's not like that different emphasis really seems to have been wrong and hurt them. Most of them, at least the ones I'm still in contact with, certainly don't seem to have been hurt by it any.

The race gap is always perplexing. One thing that really has to be mentioned though as also poorly understood is why SAT is a much poorer predictor for subsequent success in both school and later in life for blacks than it is whites. Overall SAT and intelligence are strongly correlated, although it's also by no means a perfect correlation and there's quite a bit of variance as well. Eg, I'm pretty sure I'm not as smart as my SAT scores would indicate. Just anecdotal but I had a few friends in high school that I outscored by quite a bit that I'm almost positive were at least as, and probably more, intelligent than I am. But hey, what do I really know. Maybe I have self-confidence issues as a result of being the product of a broken home I mean, I never figured I did and I'd say any self-confidence issues I have stem far more from my first three years out of college than that, not that I really think I have any real major issues there anyway although I was pretty much low-grade depressed most of that time. Lingering feelings of inadequacy, probably not but a lot more humility than I had.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-31-2015 at 02:42 AM..

Old 10-31-2015, 04:47 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

The race gap is always perplexing. One thing that really has to be mentioned though as also poorly understood is why SAT is a much poorer predictor for subsequent success in both school and later in life for blacks than it is whites.
I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Can you explain in more detail and cite a source?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, if we just expect everyone to be equal, then they will be equal. Why is this so hard for people to understand? People who can't achieve are really just lazy and unambitious. It has nothing to do with differences in natural ability. All men are created equal. It says so in the Declaration of Independence, which is right up there with the Bible. If Thomas Jefferson wrote it, then it has to be true.
I wonder what percentage of readers even realize you are being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies