Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 03:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
But only to the black race, anybody else its just funny
What's funny about blackface. Explain. What am I supposed to be laughing at?

Funny how none of you white folks will answer that question.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Blackface is out. Period...

Otherwise, you're right.
Absolutely not. Black face is not out. I seen black people with white face and no one bothers them. For you to tell anyone black face is out or to harass someone for wearing black face, makes you an un-American terrorist. People like that should be resisted by all freedom supporting Americans. Blacks aren't a special class and shouldn't be allowed to dictate what others can and can't do. I reject black supremacy completely.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What's funny about blackface. Explain. What am I supposed to be laughing at?

Funny how none of you white folks will answer that question.
I explain it. I doesn't matter if you think it's funny or not and no one has to explain or justify free expression to you.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Absolutely not. Black face is not out. I seen black people with white face and no one bothers them. For you to tell anyone black face is out or to harass someone for wearing black face, makes you an un-American terrorist. People like that should be resisted by all freedom supporting Americans. Blacks aren't a special class and shouldn't be allowed to dictate what others can and can't do. I reject black supremacy completely.
Good. Me too.

Don't do the blackface though.
Quote:
I explain it. I doesn't matter if you think it's funny or not and no one has to explain or justify free expression to you.
But your ideological (and racial) brother just said that everyone sees humor in it except blacks.

So what are you laughing about? Tell me. What am I missing?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Good. Me too.

Don't do the blackface though.
Or what? What if I do blackface any day of the week while carrying a confederate flag? You don't get to dictate free speech to white people who gave it to you to begin with.

Quote:
But your ideological (and racial) brother just said that everyone sees humor in it except blacks.

So what are you laughing about? Tell me. What am I missing?
Who cares what you think is humorous or not. That's the real question. Blacks aren't royalty who get to dictate free expression and what is or isn't humor.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:11 PM

674 posts, read 611,253 times
People have explained again and again that a white person in blackface is not the same thing as a black person in "whiteface" (not a real thing).

You know what, white people?

When people from another continent invade and colonize Europe for hundreds of years, pillage all of its resources, enslave you, cement the idea that you're less civilized in popular culture around the world, destabilize your governments and back brutal dictators who keep your standard of living down while bringing benefits to the colonizers, give you "separate-but-not-really-equal" treatment both de jure and de factor in the countries where you grow up, create entire enterainment genres dedicated to mocking you and declaring you and your kids to have less value as human beings, and then continue to deride you as depraved animals whenever some poor poverty-stricken kid on television meets the stereotypes that the colonizers invented for television....

Then you can complain about whiteface.

Because that's what you did to black people. White people were horrible to black people for hundreds of years. Most of them still are (see about half of the topics on this message board). Even aside from that, black people have to deal with immense structural disadvantages today, from horrific historical poverty to subtle and occasionally blatant discrimination to the lack of sympathetic portrayals in the media.

Centuries of bad behavior mean you, yes, you, white people, are morally obligated at the very least to refrain from actively attempting to perpetuate the problem. Part of that means that your opinion doesn't count when it comes to topics like this. You don't get to decide what's okay, because you're not in a position to say what's harmful and what isn't.

The only thing you can do here it to stay silent and stop doing things when black people point out how bad they are. They are the experts on these matters because they are the ones who were subjected to your shenanigans. They know better because they had to live through it all. They still have to live through it all.

Just be thankful that you don't.

Think of it this way. Black people have to go through life wondering if they're going have their incomes, their careers, their educations, their families, and everything else in their lives impacted by systemic racism. They don't get to run and hide from it, either, because that kind of thing touches all areas of life. Everywhere they go, they have to deal with potential negative reactions to the way they look, and those negative reactions occasionally have very real consequences.

White people? You just don't get to say certain words or dress up in certain ways. That's it. No one will every think less of you because of the color of your skin. They will, however, judge you if you knowingly perpetuate the system that has made life so much more difficult for hundreds of millions of black people around the world for centuries.

Some of you apparently can't even handle that minimal level of responsibility.

I get that some of you just want to be contrarian. Just like a five-year-old in the back seat of the car putting his finger an inch from his sister's nose and chanting, "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" That's the way a lot of the racist rhetoric on the internet sounds.

Get used to the fact that you're losing power. You're losing the ability to do whatever you want in any situation without any consequences. You're now finding that you're getting nasty labels slapped on your when you insist on doing nasty things.

Good. The next generation will see how shameful it is to behave that way, and they'll shun your ways.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Answer the question...

What's humorous about a white man in blackface? Why shouldn't I treat that person with extreme hostility? Why shouldn't I come unglued?

I'll answer it again. I don't need to know what's humorous about anything and neither do you. Humor is quite individual. There are lots of things that are not humorous to me but I don't get upset at people who think they are humorous.

I don't care what you or anyone else thinks is humorous. I'm not offended by any costume.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Blackface is out. Period...

Otherwise, you're right.
Sorry, but you don't get to make that decision.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Or what? What if I do blackface any day of the week while carrying a confederate flag? You don't get to dictate free speech to white people who gave it to you to begin with.

Who cares what you think is humorous or not. That's the real question. Blacks aren't royalty who get to dictate free expression and what is or isn't humor.
Lol...trust me, you're not gonna ever do blackface. But keep putting on that front.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:19 PM

674 posts, read 611,253 times
Quote:

I don't think you get what free speech is.

Congress isn't going to make any laws sending you to jail or making you pay a fine if you do those kinds of things, but private citizens can and will.

If you paint your face and carry a racist rebel flag around, expect people to take pictures, post the pictures on the internet, and stop you from ever holding a respectable job again. You have freedom of speech, but others have it, too, as well as freedom not to associate with someone who values his freedom to be evil more than the lives and livelihoods of fellow human beings.

And, by the way, black people are absolutely the ones who get to tell you what to do when it comes to race relations. You, white people, blew it by behaving like children for centuries. Now that society is a little more grown up, people listen to those affected by racism more than those who just want to be free to be racist.

And guess what? This issue is pretty unambiguous. You can't do blackface. Period. The question has been settle for a while to the point where this is social justice 101.

You don't have to buy into everything advocated by the various social justice movements to get this. You just have to have a basic shred of compassion and decency -- enough to recognize that the harm caused by certain behavior outweighs the pleasure you get from flouting the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies