Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:00 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
The illegals came and took most of the construction and landscape related jobs, and are well entrenched in food service, manufacturing and textile work. US Citizens performed these jobs until around the turn of the century. in a short 15-20 years all those jobs went to illegals.
Sounds like illegal immigration is really trashing the employment and economy in NC. What are the numbers? Really bad? Dang.
Most of what I've seen says it's pretty good there but I guess I missed something. How are you folks coping with all that misery? NC used to be one of my favorite states to visit, makes me sad to read how you guys are going down the tubes and becoming a 3rd world country.
Guess DH & I need to cancel our trip there next year, and maybe go to Jamaica instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 02:13 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sure, though Raleigh isn't that big of a city....though I doubt all the illegals live in one place. Illegals are taking well paying jobs in manufacturing and textile work in North Carolina?
Textile work? LOL You don't know much about NC.

Raleigh/Durham Metro is 2.2M people and one of the fastest growing in the USA. More than 1/2 the population of the state where you live and it's not even the largest in NC.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The NC economy has been booming for several years now. If the illegals are forced out of the state, I would expect there to be an even larger influx of people from out of the state coming in than previously. I wonder how this will affect the political climate. NC has been turning purple with the large migration of northerners coming to the state. Who will make up the new migrants once the illegals leave?
"I wonder how this will affect the political climate. NC has been turning purple with the large migration of northerners coming to the state"

I have lived in N.C for almost 9 years. I moved here from the mid-Atlantic.

I have been VERY surprised at how many of those tens of thousands who have moved here from the north are republicans.

BECAUSE of the influx of republicans is one reason why the state was taken out of the hands of the dems who had control for 100 years.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
So basically they are already a sanctuary state, I am guessing this won't really have any affect on that.
Basically they WERE when the dems had control.

NOW that the repubs have taken over, this will change. Thank God.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Citizens or legal immigrants is a very broad group. North Carolina has had a massive demographic shift over the past 20 years and the majority of people moving to the state have been to the left politically. The Republican takeover of the state government was not expected at the time. Will these new laws bring in more people who are to the right of the political spectrum?

And there are many North Carolinians who are out of work, but it may not be the case that they'll be able to fill all the job vacancies created by the departing illegals.
" demographic shift over the past 20 years and the majority of people moving to the state have been to the left politically."

That makes no sense to me.

If the people moving were of the left, the dems would still be in control.

MOST, IMO, are from the right, hence the dems have been voted out.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke
There are many in a lot of places in the US where you wouldn't even think.

410,000 in North Carolina.

Quote:
In a state of 9.9 million people, that really isn't that much.

Yeah, almost half a million people is only a few right?

Yet another "What you see does not exist" deception of the left.

That number can not be discounted.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
In a state of 9.9 million people, that really isn't that much.
You didn't read the posts and links above.
NC is the 11th worst impacted state. Over $2 billion a year to support illegals, almost 10% of their economy.
The estimate of 410,000 illegals is ridiculous. Who is counting them???!
As some of us have posted -- you can't find a landscape, construction, food service, motel service that isn't packed with illegals. Business friends have told me they tried not to hire illegals, but they just can't compete with all the other bids who can pay such low wages and no benefits that hire illegals.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
This is great news.

The ACLU and illegal alien advocacy groups will no doubt sue to stop the law.

And the part of the law that lumps ALL childless able-bodied adults (including legal U.S. citizens) in with illegal aliens when it comes to limiting "food assistance" probably won't survive.

But over all it's a good thing, and other states need to follow NC's example.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:12 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
You forgot the crime rate as the conservative agenda is carried out. More petty crime, more drug related crime, most not from minorities but from the people who vote for the GOP.

Drug use going up in most rural counties.

Aww the GOP just keep on HELPING the population.

Give the base something to talk about other then the fact that their flat tax (Tax increase on 99% of the state) will destroy this state.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sanctuary cities harboring illegal aliens IS a crime.
Yes, it is.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324

I've explained that exactly in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read the law. It specifically states:

"(A) Any person who—
(i) knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;

(ii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;

(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;

(iv) encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or

(v) (I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or

(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,

shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).

...(ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;

(iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and

(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both."

Just aiding and abeting the harboring of illegal aliens in the U.S. is a crime punishable by a fine and prison. Add injury or death, and the fines and prison sentences become much larger and even longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... HOW many of the illegal aliens Obama's EOs have enabled to stay in the U.S. illegally have beat, raped, or murdered people in the U.S.? Start adding up the charges. Put Obama behind bars.
Anyone aiding or abeting in the harboring of illegal aliens in the U.S. (and that includes Obama and sanctuary city officials) is committing a crime punishable by fines and prison time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies