Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't have a problem with what Berkeley did. The resolution was voted on, and passed by a great majority. Isn't this democracy at work?

What were the Marines thinking when moving to Berkeley?

BTW, the marines have a higher rate of alcoholism, rape and other violent crime than any other branch of the military.
Hmmmm how do the Marines compare to say Washington DC? Philedelphia PA?
New Orleans? I would wager by comparison they are saints.
Would Berkley welcome the Marines if say an Earthquake hit them and all those misunderstood criminals began looting, raping and killing the residents?
Oh yeah thats right its the Marines job to protect even those who treat them worse than than they would a drug dealer. Especially if that dealer was a fellow pot head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with what Berkeley did. The resolution was voted on, and passed by a great majority. Isn't this democracy at work?

What were the Marines thinking when moving to Berkeley?

BTW, the marines have a higher rate of alcoholism, rape and other violent crime than any other branch of the military.
I wonder why I knew you would not mind !

Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Using your example of Planned Parenthood, I suppose it's okay to murder doctors who provide services? Because that's what happens in reality. Anyone got to vote on the death of the doctors? No, didn't think so.

Want to try some facts instead of conjecture?
No, I don't believe in murdering doctors (!) I believe in giving the death penalty to those that are convicted of it, though, but you should make that issue a new thread.

If you read my post I referred to using a vote to remove a legitimate entity from one's town to satisfy the collective so-called sense of righteousness of it's citizens.

What type of logic did you use to turn that into condoning cold blooded murder murder?

Last edited by doc1; 02-01-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Here's a letter written to the Berkeley Daily Planet by a Marine Corps recruiter in response to the demonstrations there by Code Pink last autumn:

Berkeley Daily Planet
Great letter from one of America's finest. Wouldn't surprise me if it went way over the heads of the Code Pink types though.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
[quote=crbcrbrgv;2694039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
2. On the flipside... what the hell is the military doing trying to recruit in Berkeley? That in itself is pretty comical...QUOTE]

That's a great question. It makes about as much sense as setting up a roadside stand that sells those Virgin Mary candles in Tel Aviv.
Christianity is legal in Israel. The Marine Corps is legal in Berkeley, California.

These are civilized places we're talking about here. There is nothing either comical or nonsensical about religious diversity or about offering young people the opportunity to serve their country.

After all, no one is forcing anyone to convert to Christianity in Tel Aviv or to enlist in the Marines in Berkeley.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-01-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM

[quote=Yeledaf;2695555][quote=crbcrbrgv;2694039]
There is nothing either comical or nonsesical about religious diversity or about offering young people the opportunity to serve their country. /QUOTE]

Yeah, but those examples aren't "correct" examples of diversity. Especially in a tolerant, open minded locale like Berkeley.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM

[quote=doc1;2695604][quote=Yeledaf;2695555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There is nothing either comical or nonsesical about religious diversity or about offering young people the opportunity to serve their country. /QUOTE]

Yeah, but those examples aren't "correct" examples of diversity. Especially in a tolerant, open minded locale like Berkeley.
Tolerant? Open minded? As in as long as you think just like we do feel free to be yourself? Oh wait pass the weed and express yourself. Ok now I got it.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Whatever it takes, whoever it offends. It sure beats getting that dreaded phone call from the military that quickly deflates your previously indefatigable patriotism and forces you to realize how precious is each human life. No amount of medals or white grave markers can erase the stigma of cannon fodder. Better to stop them in their tracks before they sign up to serve heartless masters who promise honor and integrity while exhibiting neither.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Whatever it takes, whoever it offends. It sure beats getting that dreaded phone call from the military that quickly deflates your previously indefatigable patriotism and forces you to realize how precious is each human life. No amount of medals or white grave markers can erase the stigma of cannon fodder. Better to stop them in their tracks before they sign up to serve heartless masters who promise honor and integrity while exhibiting neither.
Meaningless drivel.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Another individual with no clue of what it means to wear the uniform.
Those in Uniform don't do it to please the elected elite..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies