Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:24 AM

111 posts, read 447,610 times

Advertisements

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...igration_N.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
I watch it occasionally---it gives lots of coverage to Latin-American affairs (some of the programs originate in South America). Very interesting if you want EARLY coverage of Caribbean hurricanes. Great if you like soccer (I don't). And goes into much detail regarding illegal immigration, whereas most of the English-language stations shy away from too much discussion of this (as too 'hot' an issue, I'd guess).
It definitely has a little different outlook in its news coverage than the big English-language networks. They emphasize differerent things.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:41 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Does anyone learn another language from watching TV? I've watched the one Spanish-language channel we get here quite a few times and I still know very little Spanish. I know people have to learn English to function in the United States, but I don't see how not watching any TV in Spanish but all in English instead is going to help. Besides, people should be able to watch Spanish-language TV as much as they like, especially if they're getting different news and it's relevant to them.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Does anyone learn another language from watching TV? I've watched the one Spanish-language channel we get here quite a few times and I still know very little Spanish. I know people have to learn English to function in the United States, but I don't see how not watching any TV in Spanish but all in English instead is going to help. Besides, people should be able to watch Spanish-language TV as much as they like, especially if they're getting different news and it's relevant to them.
Your post reminds me of the fact that Spanish-language TV in the US is LOADED with commercials pitching various "learn English" courses, available on tape, CD's, etc. Some of these are pretty expensive. I don't know how 'hot' their sales are, but it does sort of fly in the face of those who insist that "These people don't WANT to learn English". Obviously there's a market out there.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
I watch some programs on Spanish language TV stations almost every day. I get about 25 spanish language channels on my local cable system. Many are very good for news, sports, movies, music, etc. English is my primary language, but I speak Spanish as a second language with many people I know almost every day. Watching a spanish language movie or TV program helps to maintain my Spanish language vocabulary. I can watch news broadcasts direct from many different countries to get a an idea about things going on in their part of the world, US news rarely mentions any news from Latin America.

Now, the article that was posted from several months ago really deals with the topic at of Spanish language immigrants who don't speak English. I agree with my governor Arnold on this topic generally. If a person really wants to learn another language, they have to "tune out" their native language for long enough to let the new language soak in. It can take a long time, I know, I went through the process when I was a teenager living in another country. If a person who speaks Spanish comes here and wants to learn English, I agree that they need to take steps to tune out from using Spanish all day and night. One way is to start watching some TV programming in English instead of Spanish, it is a great way to help tune the brain to a new language.

Arnold's comments were not meant to bash Spanish language TV (or any of the other hundreds of foreign language TV channels available to viewers in many parts of our country), he was trying to encourage people to learn English if they want to succeed in this country. If a person is competent in English and another language, there's nothing wrong with watching other language programming for news or entertainment, it's no different than a golf fan watching the golf channel.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
One thing that I find sad about Spanish TV programs is that most of the news anchors and actors tend to 'Anglo' White in looks yet most of the Hispanics in the USA are clearly American Indian in appearance.

If I were a brown Spanish speaking Latino I would be hurt and offended by a group who claims my culture yet rejected me due to my brown skin.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
I dont know if this thread is directed to Spanish speaking only but I want to add/ask something:

Why is it that if you are driving far from a city, and there are only 3 stations from end to end on the radio, they are all Spanish speaking?

Why is it that when you are driving far from a city and all the stations are static, the only ones that are clear with powerfull signals are Spanish speaking?

Why is it that when our cable TV goes haywire and all the stations are screwed up, the Spanish channels are all still clear as a plazma screen?

Why is it that the Spanish stations on TV show more skin? Even those silly game shows that none of us can understand what is going on, have the most sexiest women on earth.

Why are the most beautiful women on earth on those Spanish stations? Is it because that culture is more tollerant of showing more skin? Is it because too many Americans have a sissy stone age attitude towards sex still and want to sensor everything?

Spanish stations never log complaints for showing too much skin. Many of those risque shows would never make it past the sensors on CBS, NBC, or ABC.

Why?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
I like to watch to keep my Spanish up. Plus there are some foxy ladies on the telenovelas.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 AM

251 posts, read 1,312,872 times
I like it for a different look at the news and I would be LOST without my telenovelas! I like them so much better then the american soaps!

I used them too for learning the language....you learn to train your ear towards different sounds, pick up common phrases....it does help. Especially on the telenovelas, where the acting is so...dramatic and out there...it helps to make associations with words and actions. In the beginning I also watched children's shows.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
My kid thinks that Lucha Libre wrestling is funny, so it gives us a little time together to laugh at their antics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies