Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,740 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 600
employees and has the following statistics?

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad cheques

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

4 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year

Which organization is this?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons, the same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Wow, that is really surprising. What is the reaction to the story over there?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,740 times
To many it just confirms what they have thought for the last few years. Confidence in our politicians is at an all time low here and `crisis point` probably wouldn`t be overstating the situation with what seems to be a new scandal coming to light daily. Here is the latest..

BBC NEWS | Politics | MPs suspend Conway from Commons

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Most of that is pretty bad, though the credit card one -- well, I dunno on that one. There can be a lot of reasons for having bad credit.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I have read this before and frankly its disgusting.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Something is brewing out there in Government land. It is hard to describe or put my finger on it. Government is growing and soaking up the resources for a Government "Class" that takes money from non Government sources and squanders it on themselves.

I first saw in China in 1983 the the "Iron Rice Bowl". The people who were of the Communist Party had nicer housing and some even got driven around in stretch Mercedes with a driver. But ALL people got fed and were provided with some form of low level health care.

I was in St Petersberg, Russia in 91 after the collapse. My guide was saying that all the best houses along the Neva river were occupied by the Communist Party members.

I remember thinking to myself that in the US, you did not have to be in Government to have access to good things.

I recall a government strike back in the 80s in San Francisco where the picketers had placards that read "WE DEMAND RESPECT". My thought was, as it is now that RESPECT is earned, not negotiated, bought or DEMANDED.

So

It seems that over the last two decades, US, State and Local Government Officials and Gvt. Employees have negotiated an "Iron Rice Bowl" for themselves at the expense of the public. They all have health care and a seemingly airtight lock on our money to provide them with a good lifestyle for the most part doing RELATIVE TO COST little or no tangible good.

As a parent, what am I to do? What do I tell my kids. Slime your way into Government any way you can? Go get a Gov job so you can have an advantage over those that don't?

Sorry about the rant and being OT.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Something is brewing out there in Government land. It is hard to describe or put my finger on it. Government is growing and soaking up the resources for a Government "Class" that takes money from non Government sources and squanders it on themselves.

It seems that over the last two decades, US, State and Local Government Officials and Gvt. Employees have negotiated an "Iron Rice Bowl" for themselves at the expense of the public. They all have health care and a seemingly airtight lock on our money to provide them with a good lifestyle for the most part doing RELATIVE TO COST little or no tangible good.

Slime your way into Government any way you can? Go get a Gov job so you can have an advantage over those that don't?
My education and 25 years of service to the government would like for you to prove your statement.

Most people I know who work for the feds put in 60 hours weeks, paid for 40, work on weekends to try to keep up; have depleted resources and funding; get few pay raises under NSPS; 1.5% cost of living (not complaining, stating a fact).

Please do show me some proof.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My education and 25 years of service to the government would like for you to prove your statement.

Most people I know who work for the feds put in 60 hours weeks, paid for 40, work on weekends to try to keep up; have depleted resources and funding; get few pay raises under NSPS; 1.5% cost of living (not complaining, stating a fact).

I am not quite sure which statement you need proof of. These are factual observations I have seen.

The fact that you are still employed, have absolutely no fear of being laid off, etc. A new "Class" of Government "Party" has formed.

How many years of service do you think the Communist Party Cadres put in?

I have plenty of relatives who are in all levels of the Gov. People tend to greatly exaggerate the hours they put in, their level of expertise, the accomplishments, the education etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Wow, something we agree on. I'd need to see the proof on this as well before passing judgement.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Wow, something we agree on. I'd need to see the proof on this as well before passing judgement.
Hi Amaznjohn

What do you want proof of?

1) what I saw in China?

2) what I saw in Russia

3) what I saw in SF?

Are you in the public or private sector?

What proof is there that my observations are incorrect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies