Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Folks that don't possess Native Hawaiian ancestry have fewer rights under Federal law in Hawaiʻi than in Arizona. Native Hawaiian Law: A Treatise covers it in detail.
Native Hawaiian Law: A Treatise
This I'll say: since ALL American Indians born in the US are US citizens along with Eskimos and "native" Hawaiians; they can just suck it up and become "American". Word was when the stronger tribes took down the weaker ones; IF the losing side was NOT murdered, they were adopted in and became members of the winning group.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
You know what really sucks for Hawaiians? Some years back I read in the paper in Honolulu that if they break the law and get arrested they often get sent to prisons on the mainland, where their family can't visit them due to cost. I don't know if that still happens, but that is really over the top if you ask me, so I can't fault the OP for being angry.

Though I'm not sure what a bad crime in Hawaii is? Poaching lobster? Cutting off a local at Pipe?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This I'll say: since ALL American Indians born in the US are US citizens along with Eskimos and "native" Hawaiians; they can just suck it up and become "American". Word was when the stronger tribes took down the weaker ones; IF the losing side was NOT murdered, they were adopted in and became members of the winning group.
Despite the misguided efforts of some folks, the tribal history of "American Indians" and "Eskimos" is irrelevant to Hawaiian sovereignty. Native Hawaiians never were (and hopefully, will never be) considered a "tribe."

Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You know what really sucks for Hawaiians? Some years back I read in the paper in Honolulu that if they break the law and get arrested they often get sent to prisons on the mainland, where their family can't visit them due to cost. I don't know if that still happens, but that is really over the top if you ask me, so I can't fault the OP for being angry.

Though I'm not sure what a bad crime in Hawaii is? Poaching lobster? Cutting off a local at Pipe?
"Bad crime" in Hawaiʻi is the same as it is in the continental United States and the rest of the world e.g. murder, rape, robbery, etc. As for "exiling" folks to prisons in the continental United States, it helps to alleviate overcrowding in Hawaiʻi prisons and can be a backdoor way of getting incorrigibles subject to a jurisdiction that allows the death penalty.
Prison Agreement Undercuts Hawaii Values on Death Penalty - Civil Beat News

Old 11-02-2015, 11:43 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
That would be for convictions of federal crimes not state crimes. There are only 20 United States Penitentiaries so many prisoners are from out of state. There are also 65 Federal Correctional Institutions in 30 states. 19 states have no Federal Penitentiaries or Correctional facility.

In 2014 in the US there were 215,000 federal prisoners, 12,700,000 State prisoners and 731,000 in local jails.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Yes,,,,free HI. Does that mean free them from all the Japanese that just about own the islands as well?
I guess it means when Putin decides to come and pay them a visit in the near future, they will be able to handle it on their own. Who will support all the islanders on welfare? Who cares.

Welfare.. wow you really need to rethink. what is the federal deficit now?? what is QE1, 2 and3?
what is federal stimulus??

Tell me what is the US military budget? Brah the US is Bankrupt its on borrowed time...

Hawaii was doing fine before the illegal overthrow, what makes you think it can't now??

Putin is in syria right now doing whats right, helping the rightful government. what is the US doing there?? The US is there doing the exact same thing they did in Hawaii, an illegal overthrow. history repeats itself. Who invited the US to be in Syria? not the legit Gov. Was the US Gov invited to Hawaii by the legit GOV? nopes, never never never...

what happen in Iraq?? you went to a foreign Sovereign country and took out their leader?? good or bad, its wasn't legal. Same as they did with the Queen she was a good person but they still took her out.

Look and listen...Syria...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHkher6ceaA

and hear. Putin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWMaJJ_MSg

Quote:
The US regime change policy for Syria has been a catastrophe. More than 200,000 killed and an entire country reduced to rubble at least partly because President Obama decided that “Assad has lost his legitimacy.” How is it that the president of a country 6,000 miles away has the authority to decide whether another leader belongs in office or not? What if Rouhani in Iran decided that Obama had lost his legitimacy for killing a number of American citizens by drone without charge or trial? Would we accept that?
The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : I Wish Nobody Was Bombing Syria

how far is Hawaii away from the cont US? same rules apply...

Old 11-03-2015, 12:41 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Hi Phren... So when asked what is my Nationality? and I answer Hawaiian... what does it mean to you?

FYI It means a citizen of the Nation of Hawaii. Brah I can Hook you up....

Quote:
A Hawaiian subject is someone that has the political status of being a Hawaiian national. And it's not limited to the native race or the aboriginal blood.

We have two examples here and they are Asa Thurston, who was naturalized in 1849, May 30, and he was from Massachusetts. This is the predecessor to a very famous person today named Thurston Twigg Smith. Now this person, Asa Thurston, which is Thurston Twigg Smith's predecessor, was naturalized as a Hawaiian subject. He was formerly an American citizen.

We also have another example here of another very interesting person, and this is William Harrison Rice. He is from the state of New York and he was naturalized on July 16, 1849. Now this is the predecessor of Freddy Rice, which is that person suing OHA in the Supreme Court of the United States.

Now the issue here is, if annexation did not happen, and there is no proof of naturalization of any of these individual's descendants to be Americans again, then their descendants today are still Hawaiian subjects, as their predecessors were in the Kingdom era

What is a Hawaiian Subject?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That would be for convictions of federal crimes not state crimes. There are only 20 United States Penitentiaries so many prisoners are from out of state. There are also 65 Federal Correctional Institutions in 30 states. 19 states have no Federal Penitentiaries or Correctional facility.

In 2014 in the US there were 215,000 federal prisoners, 12,700,000 State prisoners and 731,000 in local jails.
Apparently, someone hasn't heard of private prison operators, like Corrections Corporation of America (CCA).
CCA - Who We Are

A few years ago, CCA built Saguaro Correction Center in Eloy, Arizona to house inmates from Hawaiʻi.
New Hawaii Prison Opens in Eloy, Arizona - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
http://dps.hawaii.gov/wp-content/upl...NG-FOR-AZ1.pdf

Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Hawaii: If they're serious about leaving the US; then WE have the right to put everything back to how things were in, what, 1898? Tho I don't think the few people left there would like the idea of no cell service, cars, roads, air conditioning and so on.
They aren't. This is simply for the Native Hawaiians to form governments that is similar to Native American tribes. Hawaii itself isn't voting for any level of self rule.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
hey OP...define what a NATIVE hawaiin is

is it the polyinisian who conqured it in about 300 ad

is it the tahitians who conqured it around 1300ad

or is it the europeans who came around 1700

prior to 300ad....the islands had NO INHABitants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies