Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dream on my friend. you would have to require that all firearms be so called smart guns, and that wont be happening anytime soon.
It's not a dream, it's a nightmare. Who could imagine that any public entity would stand four-square behind the perpetuation of needless death and mayhem. But that's the NRA (and GOA) for you.

There is meanwhile and for example nothing to stand in the way of eventual legislation requiring that certain types of weapons be exclusively based on smart-technolgy in order to enter into interstate commerce. A great deal of room for regulation has been left by the Court in the Heller and McDonald decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 AM

186 posts, read 213,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
All for Smart Gun technology as soon as it is 100% reliable. Call me when that happens.
Call me when gun owners are 100% reliable with their guns. Guns fall into the wrong hands, and gun owners willfully sell their guns to others without a background check.

99% of civilians do not receive the ongoing training which policemen are required to complete. Studies show that gun owners don't react either in time, nor properly, to a threatening situation of a "bad guy with a gun."

I'm equally concerned about gun owners as much as the guns.

Why should my freedom and liberty be threatened by your need to either open carry, or conceal and carry a gun? Your freedom ends within range of where I can be struck by one of your errant shots or misfires.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Let the Secret Service try them out for a while to see how well they work.
Never happen.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am an IT professional. do you know why people like me exist in vast numbers in this country? Because electronics and the software that runs them BREAK constantly.
Has all this breakage kept you off the internet? The current generation of smart-guns has some issues that need to be resolved. The same was once true of encryption when it was based on 8 bits.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
Call me when gun owners are 100% reliable with their guns. Guns fall into the wrong hands, and gun owners willfully sell their guns to others without a background check.

99% of civilians do not receive the ongoing training which policemen are required to complete. Studies show that gun owners don't react either in time, nor properly, to a threatening situation of a "bad guy with a gun."

I'm equally concerned about gun owners as much as the guns.

Why should my freedom and liberty be threatened by your need to either open carry, or conceal and carry a gun? Your freedom ends within range of where I can be struck by one of your errant shots or misfires.
I can report I've never once shot anyone. You had no idea I was standing next to you last week in the grocery store.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If someone wants another layer in defending themselves against a perp, have at it. In no way should such a system be a requirement
Of course it should be required. Either that or the original owner should serve the same sentence as the perp for any crime committed with his gun. I mean, let's have some of that old-time Accountability® for gun-owners here. They've been getting off easy for far too long!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
It's not a dream, it's a nightmare. Who could imagine that any public entity would stand four-square behind the perpetuation of needless death and mayhem. But that's the NRA (and GOA) for you.

There is meanwhile and for example nothing to stand in the way of eventual legislation requiring that certain types of weapons be exclusively based on smart-technolgy in order to enter into interstate commerce. A great deal of room for regulation has been left by the Court in the Heller and McDonald decisions.
Re-light that Crack pipe Skippy.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
For those who don't know, Smart Guns are guns that require some sort of electronic owner ID before it will fire. The ID is instantaneous.

The idea is to prevent a child from picking up a gun and firing it or preventing an assailant from taking your gun away from you and using it to kill you. Seems like a good idea. And the technology is here and ready to go to market right now.

60 Minutes did a piece about this yesterday, but the idea isn't new. Is the U.S. ready for smart guns? - CBS News

I know there will never be a discussion on guns where reason, logic and common sense prevail. But is it possible to use those elements to explain why smart guns are a good idea?

PS: Gun lobby employees , please, at least identify yourself as such before replying so we know your motives come from lining your pockets.
I don't want any weapon which could be disabled by the feds by electronic remote, which would be the next step.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
For those who don't know, Smart Guns are guns that require some sort of electronic owner ID before it will fire. The ID is instantaneous.

The idea is to prevent a child from picking up a gun and firing it or preventing an assailant from taking your gun away from you and using it to kill you. Seems like a good idea. And the technology is here and ready to go to market right now.

60 Minutes did a piece about this yesterday, but the idea isn't new. Is the U.S. ready for smart guns? - CBS News

I know there will never be a discussion on guns where reason, logic and common sense prevail. But is it possible to use those elements to explain why smart guns are a good idea?

PS: Gun lobby employees , please, at least identify yourself as such before replying so we know your motives come from lining your pockets.
Smart guns requiring the owner to wear a piece of jewelry in order to fire their own weapon is a lousy idea. Do you want to have to wear jewelry to bed or 24/7 in case an intruder enters your home at night? Do you want your spouse to have to wear your "gun" jewelry to fire the gun if you are out of town? On and on problems with this technology.

There are plenty of low tech gun safety measures in place if people use them.

Smart guns are just another attempt by feds to gun grab. Sales of these weapons will never happen.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Current biometric technology has a high first time fail rate.

Ok for a door lock or safe.

Not ok for something you'd need immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies