Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:14 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,481,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They don't have to release the names, this town is small enough and everyone knows each other or of each other. The people know who did this, it's shameful the 2 sheriffs have not step forward and at least apologized or given their side. Not sure why the department is being so secretive, but then again it goes with this area. The people and the sheriffs have always been borderline in getting along and trust is not the first thing anyone thinks of from Valley County to Adams County. Actually, Adams County has always had it's issues with the police doing just their job. I understand their fear, due to the things going on with cops. This is a small town, these sheriffs need to speak up the community deserves this. As you can see from the article I provided, one was already let go for unknown reasons, it's time we know those reasons if it is the same sheriff involved.

I find it annoying how the sheriff can go on and on about transparency, yet won't release a smidgen of information.

Hard to believe two grown men raised around livestock didn't know how to kill a bull. Even I know how one needs to be taken down and ranching is not my profession. Something seems to be a little confusing, with dispatch......wonder if the sheriffs didn't know the owner was called to take care of the bull, but once he was there why he was stopped from killing his bull is unknown. His daughter has been on local news, can you imagine a young woman losing her dad in this way. Her comment, "why was my dad left like common road kill?" That is a powerful statement from where I come from.

Since the two deputies were raised around large ranch animals, I also find it hard to believe they didn't know how to kill a bull, plus, not knowing that by shooting it in the gut it would only make the bull angry and rampaging again...since it 'appears' that at the time they decided to use the bull as target practice the bull had gotten off the highway and had settled down in the grass off of the driveway, by them shooting it the bull got up again and back on the highway. They should have left it alone and kept a watchful eye on it instead of shooting at it.

One would think that dispatch would have contacted the deputies and informed them that the owner was notified and on his way to take care of the bull. But informed or not, the deputies should have had the smarts to realize that when a rancher shows up and walks to within a few feet of the bull then points his rifle at the back of the bulls head (and not at the deputies) that he was preparing to put the bull down.

Another concern, why did they arrest the wife and search her, this is also disturbing. She was of no problem until she tried to run to her husband after he was shot, how will she ever deal with this. The picture of the rancher shows he was not a tough guy and from what locals are saying he was a caring man that helped many locals in hard times. Just very sad all around and this community has had it's hardships. The economy there is horrible and the downtown part they show on the news looks like it's a lively town, it is not. Most of the stores have closed down and housing market there is a buyers market, if you are looking to live in the country, way out in the country. It's mostly ranchers out that way, most likely the other ranchers are concerned about their livestock getting out.

They probably did it to keep the 'scene' intact for the investigators, but handcuffing and searching her and the other family member seemed extreme to me. The EMT's were still on the scene and it just boggles my mind that one of the deputies didn't bother asking one of the EMT's to come over and check on Yantis.

That is the first time I seen the car, thanks for posting. You're correct they are very lucky to be alive. I don't mind open range, but I myself have had some very close calls running into sheep and cattle. Nothing like coming up over a hill on ice to find 200 black cattle in front of you and you are trying to stop. I personally would never drive in those mountains without an SUV, cars are just too small for the many things one could encounter. The chances of coming upon a bull elk, is just as likely as a bull cow.
I think that couple in the car got lucky that the bull also landed on the roof of the car and buckled the roof down. If that hadn't happened the bull may have ended up going through the windshield and entering, at least partially, the interior of the car. If that were the case then if the impact of the bull hitting them didn't kill them then the bull thrashing around inside the vehicle probably would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Sad story and if true unbelievable how bad the cops are. Have to make examples out of these killer cops, fire them for incompetence and jail them for murder.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, I've seen bulls like those in Idaho. I've also seen what those bulls do to a car. That's why I said the car's occupants were fortunate to not have been killed.
Yes. But the collision also injured the bull, and any bull when injured is lethally dangerous. A car is no different than a person, a horse, or anything else to them. A big bull can weigh over 3000 pounds.

I personally suspect that the cops grew trigger happy, but I could be wrong. For sure, it was a situation where a bad outcome was to be more expected than a good one, so I'm not willing to find fault or place the blame on anyone until the investigation that is underway is finished.

No one knows yet whether anyone involved was justified or not in doing any of the events that led to the shooting. Since there were many witnesses, I'm sure the findings will be accurate and honest.

I'm pretty sure both the cops will lose their jobs, no matter what comes out of the investigation. If they aren't fired, they will quit.

Past that, I only feel deep sorrow for the family and all the citizens of Council and Adams county. I've spent some time in New Meadows and Council, and the county is a small tightly knit community. This is all a severe shock and tragedy for everyone there.

For all outsiders- don't be too quick to place the blame on anyone just yet. This was an event that happened fast and has a lot of complications. It may take some time for the investigation to determine how it all occurred. For sure, this is nothing like the typical bad cop shootings that are now in the news so often.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:22 AM

<snip>
Quote:
3~Shepherds;41893096]The one thing most are wondering is why are the officer's names being withheld. This town is reasonable and even though they are getting threats doubt any would act on it.

One family friend posted this......Valley County Man, Alleging Abuse From McCall Police, Is Paid Claim | citydesk | Boise Weekly They are claiming this is one of the officers with only 5 years experience.
You were right, that was one of the officers. The Idaho Statesman learned of the names and contacted the Sheriff's office telling them they were going to release the names, so the Sheriff's office officially released the names.
Adams County deputies involved in shooting identified | Idaho Statesman

Also, regarding the couple that had hit the bull, the husband is out of the hospital but the wife is still in the hospital and is expected to remain there for a few more weeks.
Couple in Adams County car-bull crash healing from serious injuries | Idaho Statesman

Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I had heard it was the younger officer too, but you know how the internet is. We won't know until the investigation is over. When wheeled around, the rancher was in the process of firing his weapon. So, the officer will just say he felt threatened and nothing will happen to him. That's my guess anyway. I sincerely hope the officer finds another line of work. He has as much common sense as a stick.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I think that couple in the car got lucky that the bull also landed on the roof of the car and buckled the roof down. If that hadn't happened the bull may have ended up going through the windshield and entering, at least partially, the interior of the car. If that were the case then if the impact of the bull hitting them didn't kill them then the bull thrashing around inside the vehicle probably would have.
I hit a steer once. Hardly a bull, but, it to went up and onto the roof. The airbags didn't deploy. The impact sent me off the road and I rolled. Seatbelt saved me, otherwise the roof caving down would have crushed my head. The belt kept me back and JUST stopped that from happening.

Hitting a bull would probably have killed me anyway. It was just a Toyota Echo, not my 1 ton dually.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
When rodeo riders die riding a bull, I am always rooting for the bull. No offense to anyone but it's the same as base jumping, if you're willing to risk your life doing what you do and you die, no tears shed here. But if you slaughter the animal that killed you simply because you can, or revenge or whatever, then *********, I'm pulling for the animal. However, oi a bull is a clear and present danger and I have a pistol, the bull is going to lose that battle.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
We just had an incident this week in Abbotsford, a dairy/agri city in BC with police unloading their guns on a cow.
Cows get out in this area all the time, and even wander back and forth across the border as there are dairy farms on both sides. This time of year is not only hunting season, but it gets dark early
so in range country drive carefully. Watch for horses and wild ungulates jumping across the road. USUALLY
cattle stay where the grass is, given the chance.

Any updates on this Idaho killing?

Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
We just had an incident this week in Abbotsford, a dairy/agri city in BC with police unloading their guns on a cow.
Cows get out in this area all the time, and even wander back and forth across the border as there are dairy farms on both sides. This time of year is not only hunting season, but it gets dark early
so in range country drive carefully. Watch for horses and wild ungulates jumping across the road. USUALLY
cattle stay where the grass is, given the chance.

Any updates on this Idaho killing?
Not much yet. The names of the involved officers were officially released, but everyone already knew who they were from the local's accounts.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is the possibility that the rancher's shooting may have been accidental. Apparently, all 3 of them were trying to shoot the bull at the same time, and it all happened very fast.

The bull was shot, allegedly twice or more, but not lethally. He died slowly of blood loss hours after the incident. i used the word 'allegedly' because there are so many different witness accounts that are coming out, and some differ quite a lot with others.

The FBI is involved, apparently in the forensics. The scene was very complicated- 2 injured people in one car, other cars were all jammed up, the bull was attacking some of the cars, and there were a lot of people in the middle of it all, trying to do many different things at the same time.

This makes me think that the FBI team may be the only one that has the skill to sort the sequence of events out. From what I gather, it was close to a 360Âș situation.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 AM

Update..

The ISP has finished their investigation and has turned everything over to the AG's office, where the AG will review it to determine if charges should be filed.

ISP turns over Jack Yantis investigation results to Attorney General's Office - Story

The FBI is continuing with their own investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies