Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And? These people are willingly signing contracts. Does contract law somehow become moot just because of the terms unless the terms themselves are illegal?
Illegal terms are not enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What is "Christian Law?" I am a Christian, and have never heard such a term, nor do I know of any "Christian Law." We live by the laws of the United States of America, just as any other citizens do. There is no separate "Christian Law."

This is not true of Islam. Sharia is the only Law they recognize.

Bingo. That's the difference, despite the attempt by the OP to introduce "Christian" law.

Sharia law is not compatible with U.S. law.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Ban sharia for what it is

Until we see muslim soldiers by the thousands enlisting for America do nothing to advance the muslim religion.

I had to remove the capitalization of the word muslim...indoctrination to the core

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 AM

369 posts, read 193,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, the founders were not "Deists!" That is a myth. Most of them were Calvinist Christians.
"Dear sir: the wishes expressed, in your last favor, that I may continue in life and health until I become a Calvinist...would make me immortal. I can never join Calvin in addressing his god. He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be; or rather his religion was Daemonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did."

Thomas Jefferson, April 11, 1823

Quote:
And, there was no attempt to "keep religion out of government." What they did was to say that Congress could not "establish" one church as the only recognized church (such as the Church of England had been). Virginia had also "established" an official church. That was what the First Amendment was designed to prevent.
"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together."

James Madison, July 10, 1822

Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Illegal terms are not enforceable.
It would be unusual for anyone to put illegal terms in a contract.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:40 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
wrong.
No where in any government text will you see the words "seperation of church and state".

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
There is no room in government for any religion. There is a reason for separation of church and state. In fact I feel that religion is given too much sway in government already.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
wrong.
No where in any government text will you see the words "seperation of church and state".
You won't see a lot of things, like "states' rights" or "separation of powers." So what?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:53 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Funny how the left wants all traces of religion out of the public square because its a "personal thing" and they consider it divisive.

dont you think all politics are just as divisive??

Quote:
There is no room in government for any religion. There is a reason for separation of church and state. In fact I feel that religion is given too much sway in government already.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Funny how the left wants all traces of religion out of the public square because its a "personal thing" and they consider it divisive.

dont you think all politics are just as divisive??
Sure they are, but politics, by definition, are not a personal thing. The word derives from "polis", meaning "city/state". Politics are 'affairs of state'.

Nobody cares about what version of primordial mythology you follow.

(ETA: I have heard an alternative explanation of "politics"; from "poly-", meaning "many", and "ticks", meaning "bloodsuckers.")

Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Government has broken that little tid-bit more often then not.

The fact that they are even involved in any of it, denying states, and individuals, dictating how, who, why, where and with what.... The government crossed that barrier long ago.

Remember, up until recently, it has been Freedom of Religion. Government has used their power over the people to make it Freedom from Religion(unless you are a non tolerant Muslim, threatening violence if you mess with their religion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies