Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Okie dokie what about these ones then:

Country Rankings: World & Global Economy Rankings on Economic Freedom

Canada:
https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...ld/2015/canada scord higher in every category.
U.S.
https://freedomhouse.org/report/free.../united-statesscored lower in every category.

Even those forefathers knew you couldn't have freedom of speech without a "free press"

https://index.rsf.org/#!/

U.S. is ranked way down there in 49th place on that one.

Need some more? Or is every study done by anyone finding the U.S. ain't numero-uno going in the sh^t can?

^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY! Canada is decades ahead of the U.S.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:12 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...I've been to Iceland twice. If you think everything there is crap, then this poll is more accurate than I thought it was.
Please explain what you mean here.

Quote:
Moreover, it's Americans that aren't informed about the world around them. People in foreign nations know far more about the U.S. and the world around them than Americans do. In fact, many foreigners know more about THIS country than Americans do. SMH
That's because we import our culture much more than any other nation does via movies and tv shows. I know a lot more about the UK than I do about Germany simply because their movies and tv shows get a lot of exposure here.

Does this make any sense to you?

Quote:
Americans are provincial and ignorant about the world for the most part. Most Americans don't even have knowledge about Canada or Mexico, and they're right on our borders.
And for the most part, Canadians and Mexican are ignorant about the world as well.

See how that works? I just say it and it becomes the truth.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Already been addressed as a fail in post #29. Stop believing everything your lamestream bought and paid for "less free press" https://index.rsf.org/#!/ media feeds you.
From the methodology statement, misspellings and all:

"The World Press Freedom Index has been published ever year since 2002 by Reporters Without Borders,
an international nonprofit organization registered in France that defends freedom of information
and has consultative status with the United Nations and UNESCO."

Since when is a press group having "consultative status" with an intergovernmental organization even remotely synonymous with freedom of the media.

I'd be willing to bet that if we got rid of Fox News, they would forgive us and we would shoot right up the rankings

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-05-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 07:11 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
and please provide sources to backup this claim "Canada is decades ahead of the u.s." I can give you ONE example, One of the many inaccurate beliefs Canadians have is that their education system is superior to the US and that Canadians are more educated than Americans. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Have you actually visited that country before? I have, four times, each time, 2 months. I don't even think I can call that "a beautiful country". Sorry folks, maybe it is just my "personal taste." Try avoiding Montreal Airport, it is so bad.

We know how much you dislike the U.S., and how much you "worship" a lot of other countries, I guess the good news for you is that Canada was by far the easiest place to become a Permanent Resident and later a Citizen. and if you buy the "Canadian healthcare system is superior to the United State" myth, (and I don't know how old you are) I guess that is another advantage for you to move.

If you are seeking employment opportunity in Canada, be prepared to make MUCH MUCH less. If you are making $80,000/year, prepare for a pay cut. They also make you pay taxes on other taxes. lol

There are definitely some positive sides in Canada, but seriously, the system is flawed. but in all fairness, all systems are flawed.

Oh, be prepared, Canadians (many of them at least) LOVE to say America sucks. I would like to say this is just generalization, but it is not. I haven't met anybody who have anything good to say about the United States in canada. It makes me thinking America criticizing is their hobby lol It is always, "We are much better." "our healthcare system is much better." "Our country is much more tolerant, and our system is much better." To me, that is being rude. It is always a sign of screaming insecurity. (the America bashing usually started as soon as they realized you were from the United States. I have NEVER had this kind of experience with other countries.)

But then again, since you don't have anything nice to say about the U.S., you might like their attitude towards America and American people.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Nobody but Americans call it free. We know we're paying for it through taxation and would not even wait for an election year to turf the first government that suggested dismantling it for anything like the model America has struggled with for decades.

Oh, and by the by, if a Canadian crosses into the U.S. with an undeclared sidearm, what do you think happens to them?

Why is it Americans take pride in the regressive spectre of walking around with a sidearm on their hip. Most other civilized first world nations couldn't wait to put that Neanderthal nonsense behind them.
Did most other civilized first world nations ever have the spectre of sidearms on their hips? And the pride comes from the freedom to have a sidearm on the hip, not the actual act.

Hence the subject of the thread.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
And according to the poll that you linked, the US is decades ahead in health.

Care to comment?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 AM

371 posts, read 258,049 times
Look What Gay Marriage Did To The Freedom Of Speech In Canada - Chicks on the Right
http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/04/14899/
Canada’s clampdown on free speech - The Boston Globe

So no freedom of speech unless approved by government,they HATE guns so people can defend themselves....yeah totally free!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 AM

371 posts, read 258,049 times
In Canada, freedoms of speech, press, religion, and association have suffered greatly due to government pressure. The debate over same-sex marriage that is taking place in the United States could not legally exist in Canada today. Because of legal restrictions on speech, if you say or write anything considered “homophobic” (including, by definition, anything questioning same-sex marriage), you could face discipline, termination of employment, or prosecution by the government.

OH EXCITING!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Bovine excrement.

I had a heart attack, was transferred by paramedics from my small town to St. Mike's in Toronto that day, had a stent put in the next, lucked into a private room and was home three days later.

Cost: $0.

Good for you. I have friends at Broward General and every winter they face it....for over 20 years....I guess they haven't gotten your memo....they are being delayed for routine problems. They were diagnosed and are waiting lists back home because it's not life-threatening.....sooooo, take a "golf trip" to Broward County in January, grab your chest, have Bernice drive you to Broward General in the rental Cadillac with GPS and voila, 4 days later you are recovering.....why wait? Right?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and please provide sources to backup this claim "Canada is decades ahead of the u.s." I can give you ONE example, One of the many inaccurate beliefs Canadians have is that their education system is superior to the US and that Canadians are more educated than Americans. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Have you actually visited that country before? I have, four times, each time, 2 months. I don't even think I can call that "a beautiful country". Sorry folks, maybe it is just my "personal taste." Try avoiding Montreal Airport, it is so bad.

We know how much you dislike the U.S., and how much you "worship" a lot of other countries, I guess the good news for you is that Canada was by far the easiest place to become a Permanent Resident and later a Citizen. and if you buy the "Canadian healthcare system is superior to the United State" myth, (and I don't know how old you are) I guess that is another advantage for you to move.

If you are seeking employment opportunity in Canada, be prepared to make MUCH MUCH less. If you are making $80,000/year, prepare for a pay cut. They also make you pay taxes on other taxes. lol

There are definitely some positive sides in Canada, but seriously, the system is flawed. but in all fairness, all systems are flawed.

Oh, be prepared, Canadians (many of them at least) LOVE to say America sucks. I would like to say this is just generalization, but it is not. I haven't met anybody who have anything good to say about the United States in canada. It makes me thinking America criticizing is their hobby lol It is always, "We are much better." "our healthcare system is much better." "Our country is much more tolerant, and our system is much better." To me, that is being rude. It is always a sign of screaming insecurity. (the America bashing usually started as soon as they realized you were from the United States. I have NEVER had this kind of experience with other countries.)

But then again, since you don't have anything nice to say about the U.S., you might like their attitude towards America and American people.

Nope, I have personally never been, but know many others who have, including my parents and a daughter, and they claim the exact opposite of your tirade!

One thing that struck them all immediately, is how 'clean' Canada's cities are[Toronto/Vancouver/Ontario] with no graffiti to be found anywhere! They spoke of the friendliness of the citizens. One lady I knew before she passed away, lived for years in Buffalo, NY and often visited Canada and knew many Canadians who visited here[she and her cop boyfriend were hockey fans], said Canada and Canadians are wonderful. She also said Americans pay every bit as much in taxes as Canadians do, with less benefits, but are too STUPID/BRAINWSHED to know it!

America ranks 5th on the Human Development Index, Canada is two ranks lower, considering everything else, I would still consider them better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

The U.S. is the absolute WORST as far as income inequality goes!

Income inequality - Canada and world results

BTW... you did not provide a single source, yourself!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-05-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies