Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:05 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times

Advertisements

If so many workers are being displaced by machines, why are we importing so many illegal immigrants to do our unskilled labor, and H-1B's to do our skilled labor? Maybe those jobs can be taken over by Americans who have been displaced by machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:13 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
If a company replaces a worker with a machine, then they are putting someone out of work.

So they make more money , and then fewer jobs are available, so less of that money gets redistributed through paychecks.

The engineer and mechanics who manage the machines get work, but with durable machines you don't need as many mechanics as you would need workers beforehand.

Otherwise, machines will replace every job , and all the humans will be homeless besides the tens of people who own the machines.

#EconomicTerminators
You do realize that the purpose of a business is to make a profit, right? Not to create a job - that's a bi-product.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If so many workers are being displaced by machines, why are we importing so many illegal immigrants to do our unskilled labor, and H-1B's to do our skilled labor? Maybe those jobs can be taken over by Americans who have been displaced by machines.
The Leftists refuse to answer this question. It must not be in their OFA talking points so they haven't been told what they think about it.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
You seems to have completely misunderstood my post. I said:

"machine labor should be a net positive in helping us reach our goals, and use of it should not be incentivized against."

That means: machines = good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I think one of our main goals should be meaningful work for all citizens"

Define "our"
Society.

Quote:
"and the ability to earn enough for all basic necessities"

The ability is and has been there all the time. It is up to EACH PERSON (except of course the invalids) to make as MUCH as they are capable of making.
The amount and quality of opportunity availible for people to build good lives for themselves varies wildly from one society to another. America (and Japan) do a pretty good job at this compared with many places but there is room for improvement.

Quote:
" Hopefully we will find a way to ride the wave of prosperity driven by robotics to a better society"

Sounds like a true liberal.
You object to having a better, more prosperous society?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
you do realize that your toaster is robotic?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:01 AM

Or you could pay some one to make toast or you.

I even have antique toasters that one is electric and has to be turned by hand or one that sets over the stove or fire and must be turned by hand as well.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
I think a future where business pays an even bigger percentage in taxes for welfare, is quite likely.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 AM

I have a love hate relationship with modern times as well.
Much as I love traditional ways of doing things, I have actually invented stuff that works automated as well, and made my own contribution to the industry .
I love both and value both , but the fact of the matter is people are not buying antiquated methods of doing things .
Your on a computer .yes ?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 AM

If you penalize the companies that build your stuff, the price will be translated in your debt for it. You end up paying.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you penalize the companies that build your stuff, the price will be translated in your debt for it. You end up paying.
Exactly. The companies/rich will pay more in taxes, so that there will continue to be a good supply of consumers.

Not about right or wrong, just a likely practical reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies