Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 06:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
In a theoretical world they would have a shot in PA and here is why I say that. I am a Pittsburgh native, most of my extended family still lives there, I would figure 50-60 registered voters in Allegheny County, when I speak to my relatives that still vote Democratic, sadly they still think they are voting for the party of JFK. My family tells me they would never vote for a POTUS candidate that favors any gun control, supports abortion on demand, and favors legalized pot. So I ask them if this is their parameters, why do they vote Democratic? My mom responded to this question by showing my a flyer mailed to all registered voters in Allegheny County/Pittsburgh and signed/authorized by representative Mike Doyle PA-14, D reminding voters to vote Democratic in the 2014 elections BECAUSE they are the one "true party" that will, unlike Republicans, keep pot illegal, fight to make abortions illegal in the first trimester, and fight to defend the 2nd amendment. My mom was crying and asking how as a Republican I could be in favor of legalized pot, abortion on demand and gun control. The Democratic party in PA's second largest city is running on the Republican platform and winning all these very Catholic, JFK Democrats with that campaign. I think this time at least the middle class children are wising up.
Just for the record, Philly's Democratic candidate for Mayor won 85% of the vote, his Republican opponent got just 13% of the vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 06:28 PM

273 posts, read 349,933 times
Trump would absolutely crush Hillary in the state of Ohio. Trump has a plan to bring back our high paying manufacturing jobs from overseas which will play very well in states like Michigan and Wisconsin. Those states also tend to be very pro gun which will hurt Hillary big time.

Hillary has proven to be in bed with the big banks and multinational corporations and will continue to offshore our jobs. Trump will save our jobs and bring many jobs back; this will play very well in the midwest. I believe Trump wins in a landslide against Hillary, getting about 65% of the popular vote and easily winning electoral college.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Trump would absolutely crush Hillary in the state of Ohio. Trump has a plan to bring back our high paying manufacturing jobs from overseas which will play very well in states like Michigan and Wisconsin. Those states also tend to be very pro gun which will hurt Hillary big time.

Hillary has proven to be in bed with the big banks and multinational corporations and will continue to offshore our jobs. Trump will save our jobs and bring many jobs back; this will play very well in the midwest. I believe Trump wins in a landslide against Hillary, getting about 65% of the popular vote and easily winning electoral college.
What's the plan?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
What's the plan?
It's top secret, sort of like Nixon's plan to end the Vietnam War in 1968.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:40 PM

273 posts, read 349,933 times
Quote:
What's the plan?
Trump has explained numerous times how he will achieve this. If China continues to artificially devalue their currency against the dollar he will charge tariffs on Chinese imports. If American companies manufacture cars or other products in Mexico a tariff will be implemented, thus dissuading American companies from manufacturing products there.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Quote:
Trump has explained numerous times how he will achieve this. If China continues to artificially devalue their currency against the dollar he will charge tariffs on Chinese imports. If American companies manufacture cars or other products in Mexico a tariff will be implemented, thus dissuading American companies from manufacturing products there.
OK, but that's one thing. You can't reverse a 50 year shift by doing one thing.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Oh, makes sense. What's his pain to get rid of NAFTA so he can charge tariffs on goods from Mexico?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:54 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Quote:
Oh, makes sense. What's his pain to get rid of NAFTA so he can charge tariffs on goods from Mexico?
I don't know the actual tems of NAFTA, but I could see Trump going after the lack of reciprocity. when I go to ship my goods to Mexico, they slap a 25% tariff on them (I make medieval armour for reenactors). Was not NAFTA supposed to establish a free trade zone, well it hasn't, in fact Canada hits my stuff with a tariff as well.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:

Quote:
Trump's plan is to place a tariff on Chinese goods, to adjust for Chinese money meddling. However, that's five years out-of-day and Chinese currency is about where it should be. They are also much weaker economically than they used to be.

In essence, Trump is planning a policy that's no longer valid.

Any thoughts that Trump will win a landslide is beyond wishful thinking.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:

A win of the magnitude that you're suggesting is unheard of in the entire history of Presidential elections. It would be roughly a minimum of 4% larger than the largest landslides of the 20th Century (Harding in 1920 (60.35%), Roosevelt in 1936 (60.80%), Eisenhower in 1956 (57.37%), Johnson in 1964 (61.05%), Nixon in 1972 (60.67%), or Reagan in 1984 (58.77%). All of those landslides were achieved by popular incumbents running for reelection, not challengers, let alone challengers never elected to anything previously.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

Keep in mind also, that the electorate in 2016 is projected to be 30 to 31% minority. If minorities vote as they did in 2012, the GOP would need between 63% to 64%% of the white vote just to win the national popular vote. To achieve 65% of the total popular vote,Trump would have to win minority voters by a landslide. There aren't enough white votes for a white only appeal to reach anywhere close to 55% of the total popular vote, let alone 65%.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 11-07-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies