Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:13 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
0.0%.
So they would be illegal gun sales no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:13 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
I posted this a while ago; but it is directly relevant to this thread, so I will post it again.

1.) Person walks into a Licensed Gun store and purchases a firearm, this is done through a licensed FFL dealer, a background check is performed.

2.) Person walks up to a table at a gunshow, in most cases this is a licensed FFL deal, purchases a firearm, same background check is performed.

3.) Private sale of a firearm between Party A and Party B. Party A are you "ABC person"? Party B "Why Yes I am, here is my ID to prove it" : Party A are you "wanted for any crimes" ? Party B "No I have a clean Record, I am not wanted for any crimes" In most states that is the extent of what is required. *** special Note I am not objectionable to going to a Licensed FFL dealer or the State Police for this step, But at this point is it not mandatory.

4.) Straw type of purchase, which is where about 40% if the illegal guns are traced back to. Party C and Part D. Party C is lawful person, allowed to purchase a firearm without a problem and can pass a background check without issue. Party D is a FELLON, not able to purchase a firearm. Party D goes to Party C, I will give you $1500 Dollars to purchase this Glock 17, that cost new $630 dollars, I am not allowed to buy it legally, so you Party C buy it for me, and you can keep the difference. That is a true straw purchase. Party C buying a firearm for someone knowing that they cannot purchase the same firearm on their own.

The Private Party Sale or the "So Called gun Show Loophole" is when you get thousands of people with the same likes and tastes in one area, the odds increase of being able to sell a firearm for a private sale between two parties by sheer number. Again is not against the law, just increasing your odds of selling a firearm by the number of people in the same location.

All of the private Sales that I have done over the last several years, was with people that I already work with, and in each case they had to be background checked and fingerprinted the job in the first place. So I already knew these people, and had no problem selling a firearm to them.

I see no point in getting a background check for Family, or friends that I have known half of my life. But I do see the value in getting a background check on a private sale for a person I just met.

The way the law is now, if I sell a firearm to a person, I am done, my responsibility to that transaction ends, as long as I keep a record of who I sold it too. The way many people would like the LAW CHANGED would be for me to be 100% responsible for that sale and tracking where it goes after I have sold it, which is not acceptable.

As for the True Straw Purchase, go after the people who are knowingly breaking the current laws and punish them; I have not broken any laws so Don't restrict me.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:30 PM

934 posts, read 595,497 times
Even when the laws are enforced, the penalties are not harsh enough

Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Making new ones to also not enforce isn't going to accomplish anything.

This woman admitted to a straw purchase which put a gun in her felon boyfriend's hands, which he used to kill a police officer. She got no jail time at all. Quite the deterrent to future straw purchasers

Police oppose probation sentence given to buyer of gun used to kill Kerrie Orozco - Omaha.com: Crime & Courts

Of course. This is typical. There's always room for another draconian gun law that will only impact legal gun owners, yet never enough time or resources to enforce the ones we have.

And memo to Obama: Quit pardoning criminals convicted of illegal gun possession while flapping your gums about what needs to be done about gun violence.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Most private party gun sales have NO restrictions. If I had the money and the want, I could buy 50 handguns a day off Facebook sites from private parties as long as I don't cross state lines. they don't even have to be registered.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 AM

269 posts, read 178,417 times
Guns are only meant to kill.

We need to ban guns. A country with no crime would be amazing.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most private party gun sales have NO restrictions. If I had the money and the want, I could buy 50 handguns a day off Facebook sites from private parties as long as I don't cross state lines. they don't even have to be registered.
And, what will that really matter until you shoot someone with ONE of those guns?

If you 'had the money', you could likely do pretty much what you wanted. (Right?!?)

And if you're a criminal, you don't likely care about laws!

Criminals don't regard laws, remember?

Guns are meant for protection - welcome them!!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 AM

991 posts, read 629,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post

Wait, What?

There were no killings and no crime before guns were invented?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

Utopian and misguided thinking.

Even if guns were banned, people will still kill people. Then you will ban knives, people will still kill people. So when one strangles another, will you ban hands?

Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

really? what are you smoking?

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history...a-city-bombing

no guns used in that crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies