Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

so what im supposed to believe is that (wo)men in general go clicking along, as highly productive members of the workforce... as independent agents...

then poof! generic Elderly parent gets sick..

double poof! (wo)men just walk away from work... and take care of generic elderly sick parent.

because you know that's what (wo)men do!

I am NOT supposed to understand that more often than not, The generic elderly parent gets sick, then a fine lady who is supported both emotionally and financially by her HUSBAND takes care of mom and or dad...

gez people. whats wrong with you?

what is more dumb stuff that liberals say for 200, alex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so what im supposed to believe is that (wo)men in general go clicking along, as highly productive members of the workforce... as independent agents...

then poof! generic Elderly parent gets sick..

double poof! (wo)men just walk away from work... and take care of generic elderly sick parent.

because you know that's what (wo)men do!

I am NOT supposed to understand that more often than not, The generic elderly parent gets sick, then a fine lady who is supported both emotionally and financially by her HUSBAND takes care of mom and or dad...

gez people. whats wrong with you?

what is more dumb stuff that liberals say for 200, alex.
What is more dumb than this post? What ARE you trying to say?

You think women don't leave the workforce OR step down when faced with caring for an elderly parent OFTEN at the same time she is raising children?

You really need to get out more, my friend.

I see it every day in my office.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 AM

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then shuffle the social security from the person being taken care of to the person doing the caring, now it is cost neutral.
This is the way it has unoficially been.. unfortunately caretaker sometimes abuses position. OP: Look for more of these women vs men stories in the near future. Not suprised. Can you imagine why?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Women spend as much time as they can caring for their elderly parents, while men do as little as they can, according to a new study by Angelina Grigoryeva at Princeton University.

Men have dramatically increased their efforts around the house since the 60s, but elder care seems to be a place where men haven’t changed. Women’s extra burden in caring for parents means that they are going to be less likely to work while acting as a caregiver has no impact on whether men stay in the labor force. Women are still more likely to interrupt their careers or make changes

On top of the loss in career status and earnings that women usually suffer when they make such tradeoffs, it also leaves them more financially insecure when they get older themselves.

To address this problem, a bill was introduced that would give caregivers credits in Social Security during the time they spend out of the labor force to look after a family member.

Sons Spend As Little Time Caring For Their Parents As Possible, Dumping The Work On Daughters

THEY ALREADY GET CREDIT!!!! Social Security is supposed to be paid the people who care for elders. What else do they want???

Old 11-10-2015, 10:02 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
I'm experiencing it exactly as they describe it right now. I don't say all men but this happens to woman more. So I dispute your post.
Yet you despise feminism. Do you not understand that feminism is the reason why you are able to make (as you assert) yourself a good living, and that has ensured that you don't need your husband or father to consign a loan, credit card, mortgage, or apartment lease?

Now, when you find yourself in a position of inequality, you don't like it? Well, it would be a lot worse if the women before you hadn't done what they have for subsequent generations.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:02 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Women spend as much time as they can caring for their elderly parents, while men do as little as they can, according to a new study by Angelina Grigoryeva at Princeton University.

Men have dramatically increased their efforts around the house since the 60s, but elder care seems to be a place where men haven’t changed. Women’s extra burden in caring for parents means that they are going to be less likely to work while acting as a caregiver has no impact on whether men stay in the labor force. Women are still more likely to interrupt their careers or make changes

On top of the loss in career status and earnings that women usually suffer when they make such tradeoffs, it also leaves them more financially insecure when they get older themselves.

To address this problem, a bill was introduced that would give caregivers credits in Social Security during the time they spend out of the labor force to look after a family member.

Sons Spend As Little Time Caring For Their Parents As Possible, Dumping The Work On Daughters
A few considerations...women live longer than men, the last parent is usually the mom. If you were the mom and needed help in the bathroom, would you prefer your son or your daugther help you?

Plently of men taking care of moms and working. You do what you need to do.

Always create a victim first. Then a villian, men in this case. Use sympathy card ignore details, assume corruption, justify by saying,if just one women could be saved from the clutches of lazy men.

This proposal is abuse waitng to happen!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Wait, this is actually interesting. Are you telling me that some people have different lifetime earnings based on CHOICES they make?

That, sounds really implausible.

So say there are two people and one chooses to be an Elementary Teacher who uses more sick time, has two children and misses an entire school year of income to stay at home with the babies, their income will be less because of personal choices? No way! Then you have another person who works on an offshore oil platform and averages 15 hours of overtime every week. And that persons personal choices effect their income? U-n-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e!

Their pay will not be the same?

Where's the equality in that? Plus, Math is so hard lol - I think I'll tweet that.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
So once again woman are being dumped on by the big bad male world. As an adult male in his 50's who is part of that primary group dealing with elderly parent(s) and I am the primary liaison for my elderly mother for the last 6 years not my sister so there goes that theory. Men are just as capable as woman in providing care but so often the females feel they do it better and the men let them.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
This is the way it has unoficially been.. unfortunately caretaker sometimes abuses position. OP: Look for more of these women vs men stories in the near future. Not suprised. Can you imagine why?
I think I might have some idea.

Clinton making gender a focus of her presidential bid

Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Yep.....this was a political argument not a scientific one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies