Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do conservatives hate "feminism" so much?
Failure with women, which subsequenty leads them to blame "feminism" 6 11.54%
Talk radio, Fox News, and other media sources told them to hate "feminism" 17 32.69%
They don't 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yet where are all the feminists when it comes to telling women about personally responsibility for the bad men they choose to sleep with and get into relationships with? You know, those guys that abuse them and the type of men who leave them after they have children.
A. What does that have to do with my post?
B. What do you mean where are they?
C. So basically what you're saying is that it's the woman's fault if she's abused. Classic, and predictable.

Last edited by thefragile; 11-13-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, you said that embracing feminism, or in other words the mother having a job as well instead of just being a stay at home mom, contributes to the demise of the family unit & marriage. I find that absurd. A woman should be looking out for herself, NOT just the man or the children. If she doesn't, she will live to regret it. Because as we all know, life rarely goes the way we plan it to.
We obviously have different ideas about what Feminism is... Feminism doesn't just preach that a woman should be able to provide for herself. Feminism is an ideology that looks to totally dismantle traditional gender roles.

Besides that, in this day and age, usually both parents have to work and provide. Staying home isn't even an option.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
We obviously have different ideas about what Feminism is... Feminism doesn't just preach that a woman should be able to provide for herself. Feminism is an ideology that looks to totally dismantle traditional gender roles.

Besides that, in this day and age, usually both parents have to work and provide. Staying home isn't even an option.
"Feminism is an ideology that looks to totally dismantle traditional gender roles". what a bunch of bs

feminism is as individual as each women and how she applies it to her life.

you can relax we haven't secretly recruited millions of femi Nazis to neuter all you men, whipper.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
"Feminism is an ideology that looks to totally dismantle traditional gender roles". what a bunch of bs

feminism is as individual as each women and how she applies it to her life.

you can relax we haven't secretly recruited millions of femi Nazis to neuter all you men, whipper.
No, feminism is feminism. You might want to learn what it is before you go around and start calling yourself one.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:01 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
No, feminism is feminism. You might want to learn what it is before you go around and start calling yourself one.
you think to be a feminist you have to be "all in"? where are the rules written down? do I have to pay union dues? feminism runs the gambit from far right to far left. just like being a republican or dem doesn't mean you follow and agree with all GOP.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
I have no disagreement with what you've said...

I don't see the contradiction really? Absolutely women should be educated. Absolutely women should be strong and independent. I never said otherwise. There's nothing wrong with women having careers either.

My only point, is that there's nothing wrong with women pursuing a traditional gender role as a wife and mother at the same time.
The TRADITIONAL role of wife and mother does not include the woman working outside of the home and bringing home a paycheck.

If you believe that a wife and mother should also bring home a paycheck, you are partaking of a bit of feminism yourself, aren't you?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
I don't like feminists because many of them are misogynists, particularly to the easy going feminine sort of women I like. I have a rational hatred of third wave feminism. Just ask any opinionated women who does not tow the line. They are hated by third wave feminists who ruthlessly shame and attack them.

Equal rights under the law is long gone and that was just adjusting to modern life. The adjustment was promptly made. A 100 years ago it had nothing to do with oppression. Men were dirts farmers, miners, recently emancipated chattel slaves and indentured servants who voted only a few years earlier than women. Feminism was pointless at that time.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I don't like feminists because many of them are misogynists, particularly to the easy going feminine sort of women I like. I have a rational hatred of third wave feminism. Just ask any opinionated women who does not tow the line. They are hated by third wave feminists who ruthlessly shame and attack them.

Equal rights under the law is long gone and that was just adjusting to modern life. The adjustment was promptly made. A 100 years ago it had nothing to do with oppression. Men were dirts farmers, miners, recently emancipated chattel slaves and indentured servants who voted only a few years earlier than women. Feminism was pointless at that time.
You have got to be kidding.

Women obtaining equal rights has been a long hard fight and that fight still isn't over. There are those who are still trying to marginalize women by turning back the clock on our freedoms.

Women didn't get the right to vote until 1919 and weren't even allowed to have their own credit as recently as 1974. There has been nothing prompt or easy about women's quest for equality.

Not only did we have to fight long and hard for the rights we have gained, we have to continuously fight to keep them.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:23 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
We live in a crazy society where men are shamed for being masculine and women are shamed for being feminine.
It can also be said that we live in a crazy society where men are shamed for being feminine and women are shamed for being masculine.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 AM

756 posts, read 424,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You have got to be kidding.

Women obtaining equal rights has been a long hard fight and that fight still isn't over. There are those who are still trying to marginalize women by turning back the clock on our freedoms.

Women didn't get the right to vote until 1919 and weren't even allowed to have their own credit as recently as 1974. There has been nothing prompt or easy about women's quest for equality.

Not only did we have to fight long and hard for the rights we have gained, we have to continuously fight to keep them.
Correction. Those battles were fought and won but feminism needs to hold on the victim status and pretend that they weren't because otherwise they lose their power and relevancy ... and that is what it really is about at this point... power.

I don't deny that equal rights needed to be fought for or that feminism didn't benefit all of us, but like all movements, they can be corrupted and lose sight of their ideals.

The biggest problem is just the name: feminism. It should be named for equality and instead it's named for the female gender and we have feminst "gender studies" in colleges and branches of the feminist movement that outright HATE men. They view them as the enemy. The milder versions of feminism don't see any problem with the inherent hypocrisy of demanding women be allowed to serve in the military but not advocating for equal physical requirements or advocating that women should be required to sign up for the draft.

Now the pendulum is swinging the other way, where men are treated like second class citizens in this country. They get utterly shafted in family court, they get stiffer penalties for committing the same crimes, they get essentially laughed at in cases of domestic abuse, they essentially get laughed at in cases of sexual harassment by women and I could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies