Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times

Advertisements

"Black Lives Matter" - liberals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
"You'll counter that there are right leaning and left leaning independents, isn't there a difference? but this misses the point: propaganda doesn't try to get you to believe something, but to do something, and in this case it is to do nothing-- it doesn't matter what you choose to believe, as long as your outrage is done from inside your house. This is the whole gimmick of media, not polar but triangular, right, left, middle, mobilizing an army of assonauts to feel strongly enough about something that they don't do anything"

Old 11-09-2015, 01:32 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
“Every artist was first an amateur”

---- Ralph waldo Emerson

Dress Blues making panties drop since 1775

-USMC

“The only way to prove that you’re a good sport is to lose.”
– Ernie Banks

Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Pretty much anything that Bush said. What a funny guy but my favorite was probably "Karyn is with us. A west Texas girl just like me"

I just like it when a president can be funny. It forces me to pay attention more to politics

But if you want a serious quote one that I can think of is "far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" . Theodore Roosevelt seems to have some good quotes overall. It's just that when I look at them like many positive things I find them hard for me to live by.

I would have a lot more quotes except this is the politics section so I assumed that we were just doing politician quotes.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
" A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." - Unknown

Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
"Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets") - Favorite Movie Quote

"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it." Malcom-X

James Baldwin is a literary crush of mine. He has a lot of quotes I love:

"The reason people think it's important to be white is that they think it's important not to be black."

"It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me the most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who have ever been alive." (MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE QUOTE - reading for me is like a religion)

"I love America more than any other country and for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her."

"To be a negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time."

From one of my favorite poems - Audre Lord "A Litany for Survival"

And when the sun rises
we are afraid
it might not remain
when the sun sets we are afraid
it might not rise in the morning
when our stomachs are full we are afraid
of indigestion
when our stomachs are empty we are afraid
we may never eat again
when we are loved we are afraid
love
will vanish
when we are alone we are afraid
love will never return
and when we speak we are afraid
our words will not be heard
nor welcomed
but when we are silent
we are still afraid

So it is better to speak

remembering
we were never meant to survive

Old 11-09-2015, 03:30 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Roddy Piper

Old 11-09-2015, 06:17 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
"Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets") - Favorite Movie Quote

"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it." Malcom-X

James Baldwin is a literary crush of mine. He has a lot of quotes I love:

"The reason people think it's important to be white is that they think it's important not to be black."

"It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me the most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who have ever been alive." (MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE QUOTE - reading for me is like a religion)

"I love America more than any other country and for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her."

"To be a negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time."

From one of my favorite poems - Audre Lord "A Litany for Survival"

And when the sun rises
we are afraid
it might not remain
when the sun sets we are afraid
it might not rise in the morning
when our stomachs are full we are afraid
of indigestion
when our stomachs are empty we are afraid
we may never eat again
when we are loved we are afraid
love
will vanish
when we are alone we are afraid
love will never return
and when we speak we are afraid
our words will not be heard
nor welcomed
but when we are silent
we are still afraid

So it is better to speak

remembering
we were never meant to survive
I like that Malcolm X quote a lot. After he travelled to Mecca and saw blacks and whites getting along, he realized that maybe race wasn't the key problem. All of his ideas after that I think are great.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
yea though i drive through the valley of the shadow of rice, i shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. thy rod and thy piston they comfort me - unknown auto enthusiast making a play on bible quote.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
All is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies