Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it hypocritical to bash Davis for not complying with the law, yet encouraging illegal immigrants
Yes, it is hypocritical. 36 73.47%
No, it is not hypocritical. 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Bold talk.

Prove it.

How many conservative sanctuary cities are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM

401 posts, read 287,253 times
I have 3 friends that own construction related companies, they routinely hire illegals, mostly cause they work harder but also because the diff in wages, even though its not as wide a gap as it was 20 years ago. These owners are far more conservative than me on every issue, they only vote for GOP and hate Obama as much as any Republican, but when it comes to making money they are willing to set aside their politics.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
I have 3 friends that own construction related companies, they routinely hire illegals, mostly cause they work harder but also because the diff in wages, even though its not as wide a gap as it was 20 years ago. These owners are far more conservative than me on every issue, they only vote for GOP and hate Obama as much as any Republican, but when it comes to making money they are willing to set aside their politics.
Republicans historically were the party that favored cheap labor. Still it is Republicans that oppose minimum wage laws. It is amongst the social conservative Republicans that opposition to immigration rests. Democrats use liberal immigration rhetoric as a election strategy.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:52 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Not relatable at all!!! Davis makes a good Halloween costume and that is about it. Peace.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,602,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
I'm sure you're right, but those business owners are guilty as well. They should be held accountable too.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
I don't like not knowing who is crossing the border. I don't want terrorists, gangsters, etc. Apart from those things I guess you could say I am indifferent to whether immigration is legal or illegal. And I like the idea of getting some new blood into the U.S., especially because rednecks hate it so much.
What a kind, tolerant liberal you are, haha! Where are you from?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM

369 posts, read 193,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Admitting your own hypocrisy, especially on a forum where integrity wins you support, is not a good thing.
I don't worship any and all law simply because it exists. Sorry if you find that hypocritical.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Yeah, picking grapes and cleaning toilets is nothing but a great vacation--that must be why so many Americans are falling over each other to do it.
My mother worked in hotels when I was little and my army dad didn't make enough money to support us.
Not such a bad job, actually, considering there is great turnover of rooms and they don't get especially dirty, unless you're an outright slob.

Anyway, plenty of American's do thankless service jobs.

The hope for LEGAL immigrants is that those are entry level jobs, not permanent jobs. If you can't raise yourself out of poverty, we do have temporary welfare. Temporary, get it?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,602,808 times
Quote:
I don't worship any and all law simply because it exists. Sorry if you find that hypocritical.
That's fine, but if we pick and choose laws, where does it stop? If illegal immigrants get to break laws, why can't Kim Davis?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
When Kim Davis was in the news, Liberals were fuming over her actions. Davis, they said, was not following the rule of law set down by the Supreme Court. She was not, I agree, and she was publicly shamed for it. A new chapter in the story recently emerged: Kentucky Governor-elect Matt Bevin will not require marriage clerks to sign the license, yet gay marriage licenses will still be given out whether or not the clerk has religious objections. He came up with a solution that pleases everyone, so hats off to Governor-elect Bevin!

On the other side of the aisle, Liberals seem hell-bent on preventing the enforcement of illegal immigration laws. Amnesty is often a word that they throw around, which is only rewarding the lawbreakers. How can Liberals, on one hand, bash Davis for not complying with the law, yet they want to reward illegal immigrants for breaking it? Is that not entirely hypocritical?

I would like some left-leaning people to explain their thinking if at all possible.

Kim Davis is an elected official who refuses to do the job she was elected for. Her Christian beliefs don't extend to giving up $80K per year.

As for illegal immigration, how about going after the demand side of it? You know, the businesses who pay these people below minimum wage and don't pay taxes. Close down demand, the supply will dwindle. But people like to blame the supply side of it. If your family is hungry and there are no jobs, you go where the jobs are. It's that simple.

So, no, it isn't hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies