Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I've heard this line before and do you know why I don't like: It's broad a ****. Literally, anything can be secular. To say someone killed for a secular reason is really just saying they killed for a non-religion one. Do you see how unhelpful it is to point to the Nazis and Soviets in your childish attempt to hide the fact that religion creates more violence than anything?

Look at Hitler. Sure, what he was doing was by definition secular. He was not doing it to appease a supreme being. But was he doing it in the name of not doing it in a supreme being? To label it as secular is basically ignoring every other factor, because when you consider those factors, it being secular becomes extremely unimportant.
Communism was actively atheist in many cases. Also if ideologies like fascism killed for irreligious reasons, and combined with communism killed many more people than actively religious ideologies did, then that would suggest that the problem is not the religious nature of an ideology, but rather the requirement of universal compliance with an ideology that is the problem. Some ideologies require everybody to be all in if they are going to work, and those ideologies are always going to be more aggressive and oppressive by their very nature. That was a factor in many religious ideologies of the past, but in those periods of time almost every ideology was religious in nature. In modern times we have experimented with secular and actively atheist ideologies and have found the same result, if not worse in some cases.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 11-10-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What... simply wanting to know isn't enough motivation?
It certainly wouldn't be enough to get the study funded.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Less altrusitic? Rigourous study I'm sure, next they'll look at how Muslim women are treated in their religion and they can give us a list of things like, "Number 17 will shock you!".

Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I've heard this line before and do you know why I don't like: It's broad a ****. Literally, anything can be secular. To say someone killed for a secular reason is really just saying they killed for a non-religion one. Do you see how unhelpful it is to point to the Nazis and Soviets in your childish attempt to hide the fact that religion creates more violence than anything?

Look at Hitler. Sure, what he was doing was by definition secular. He was not doing it to appease a supreme being. But was he doing it in the name of not doing it in a supreme being? To label it as secular is basically ignoring every other factor, because when you consider those factors, it being secular becomes extremely unimportant.
If I were you, I wouldn't dig myself in any deeper. If anything can be secular, then "anything" can be religious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It certainly wouldn't be enough to get the study funded.
Don't be so sure.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 6,898 times
Quote:

The reason this argument has merit is because many of these countries where mass genocide took place in the 20th century were places that were not only secular, but organized religion was actively and violently purged from their countries.

- All religion was banned by the Khmer Rouge. Anyone found practicing religion was executed. 2 million people died under their rule.
- Stalin's Soviet Union had a 20-year-long anti-religion campaign. 85,000 priests were executed in a single year. The number of Orthodox churches dropped from 30,000 to 500 in a decade. The Holomodor claimed roughly as many lives as the Holocaust.

These 'secular' regimes weren't simply secular, they were anti-religion. The greatest atrocities of the 20th century occurred in places where religion was oppressed or banned.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
Teen Hitler was very very religious, maybe we should just kill all the religious teens and make the world a better place.
It was the secular adult Hitler that murdered millions.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, but of the two, the study indicates that Muslims were worse than Christians.

Isn't that what the study indicates?
No, that is not what the study indicated.

Here is a link of the actual study (The Negative Association between Religiousness and Children's Altruism Across the World)

From the link:

Quote:
Paired comparisons (corrected for family-wise error) showed that Christian children (M sharing = 3.33, SD = 2.46) did not differ in their altruism from Muslims (M sharing = 3.20, SD = 2.24);however,both were significantly less altruistic than non-religious children
Above is what the study indicated. Muslim and Christian were not different in regards to their overall altruism. Non-religious/secular children were MORE altrustic compared to Muslim and Christian children.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No, that is not what the study indicated.

Here is a link of the actual study (The Negative Association between Religiousness and Children's Altruism Across the World)

From the link:

Above is what the study indicated. Muslim and Christian were not different in regards to their overall altruism. Non-religious/secular children were MORE altrustic compared to Muslim and Christian children.
Thank you.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:16 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Yes, but of the two, the study indicates that Muslims were worse than Christians.

Isn't that what the study indicates?
No, the study indicates that children from secular or humanist families were more altruistic than those from religious families. Or, one could say that religion negatively affects children's altruism. The point is religion. Not one particular religion.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM

401 posts, read 287,253 times
Quote:
It was the secular adult Hitler that murdered millions.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
Quote:
[SIZE=-1]In his book, Mein Kampf [/SIZE]Hitler wrote: "I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.." As a boy, Hitler attended to the Catholic church and experienced the anti-Semitic attitude of his culture.
Hitler thought he was a Christian, even if you dont.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies