Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM

401 posts, read 287,225 times

Advertisements

I think the point is:religion poisons your kids, no matter if Muslim, Hindu, or whatever....if parents would stop indoctrinating kids we wouldnt have stupid studies like this one, religious indoctrination is child abuse and the law should prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,617 times
The study proves nothing.Asking kids from very different cultures questions and then simply dividing the results up based on religion is pretty silly methodology.I'm sure muslim children in Turkey and Jordan are likely to answer questions differently than a secular humanist child in Canada or a child raised without religion in China.The degree of 'religiousness' can vary a lot from what would consitute a religious muslim in Toronto vs a religious muslim in Ankara although both may self describe as religious.Asking children from so many countries and cultures is going to skew the results.The terminology is also way too broad.A 'religious christian' in the US could be anything from an ultra liberal universalist-unitarian,[some of whom do identify as christian],on one end to Westboro Baptist/FLDS/or other assorted crazies on the other end with millions in between.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:15 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I wonder if more secularist are white than not? I suspect culture is a bigger factor than religion. I think there are other variables not being controlled for to say what effect a given religion has. There are predominately non-religious cultures who are not altruistic.

The bottom line is any two identity groups are not necessarily interchangeable and the same. It's silly to think so without hard evidence and proof. For example you're suggesting all religions are the same. Religions are not one group. Some are worse or better than others.
I didn't conduct the study. You'll have to discuss this with whoever did. I was explaining what the study found to those that do not understand.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I didn't conduct the study. You'll have to discuss this with whoever did. I was explaining what the study found to those that do not understand.
The study is didn't find anything, just made an unsubstantiated claim.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
There is no such thing as a Muslim child.

Children don't make a conscious decision about which religion they'll belong to.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no such thing as a Muslim child.

Children don't make a conscious decision about which religion they'll belong to.
Their parents and culture impart their muslim values on them just the same, so it's even worse and more ingrained.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]

Hitler thought he was a Christian, even if you dont.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
You can't cherry-pick one quote to suit your claim.
The consensus is that Hitler was likely agnostic. Religious views of Adolph Hitler

Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You can't cherry-pick one quote to suit your claim.
The consensus is that Hitler was likely agnostic. Religious views of Adolph Hitler
Very interesting reading.

If one of his most loyal confidants and advisers, Joseph Goebbles, wrote in his diary that Hitler hated Christianity, that says quite a lot.

I think the key sentence within that information was:
Quote:
Hitler's public relationship to religion has been characterized as one of opportunistic pragmatism.
Anyway, anybody who actually believes Hitler was a Christian would be fairly ignorant of the subject matter.

I had read a number of articles about Hitler and Christianity, and they all came to the conclusion that he was no fan. I just wasn't aware that Goebbles and Speer had included such information in their diaries. I believe that pretty much seals the deal that he was not a practicing Christian and was apparently opposed to it, but felt it was a tool for him to use.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Their parents and culture impart their muslim values on them just the same, so it's even worse and more ingrained.
That's all religions. That's partly why I dumped Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies