Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

If America was to actually collapse, and it didn't produce an authoritarian government, that would be the true exception.

That would require the equivalent of the barbarians sacking Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
In none of our lifetimes barring some all out world nuclear holocaust.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
OK, in looking at the topics and commentary with so much outrage, distrust and almost open revolt against the government it got me wondering what people really think.

How long do you think it will take for the US to become so crazy politically, racially and religiously that it bursts the seams and degenerates into separate countries?

Or will we just see a iron handed Stalinist type authoritarian tyranny form where anyone speaking out is sent to the gulag, or worse and the government has an overwhelming presence in every detail of life?

Or do you think things will somehow get better? If so how? How do we reconcile the growing divides between groups, beliefs and economic disparities? How do we get good, honest people to serve in office without turning power hungry?

Myself, I think that unless we see a sweeping shift of tolerance, a reduction of tyranical govt controls and some way to reduce crime and the effects of drugs without a police state, I say maybe 50 years before the whole place turns into some kind of european style chaos.
8 days. PM your financial info so I can manage it during the collapse.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Every business/economic interest, not only in America, but across most of the world, has no interest in the collapse of the United States, and will do everything in their power to maintain the status quo.

Further, revolutions never originate from the people alone. Revolutions come from within the government, or are otherwise supported by foreign governments. At this point, no corporation benefits from an American collapse. Corporations are by their nature, internationalists. They always support "integration".

The American Revolution was supported by most of the wealthiest people in the country at the time, and it was only successful because of French intervention(who only supported us, to weaken their enemy, the British).

The Soviets collapsed, because the United States, and its ally, Saudi Arabia, conspired to collapse the Soviet economy, by collapsing oil prices in the mid-80's. Which then collapsed the ability of the Soviets to access foreign capital reserves, while they were in the midst of a very expensive foreign war(Afghanistan).

I don't see how the geopolitical and economic interests could possibly align at this point, to cause an American economic collapse/revolution. Especially how the economies of the world are becoming more and more interdependent(IE if America collapses, so does China).

If America began to appear to collapse, we are more likely to end up with an authoritarian government, than to actually collapse. Corporations much prefer Hitler, to anarchy.
EXCELLENT commentary. My spouse says you are spot on and I tend to agree. I guess I'll sell my bunker now and buy some mutual funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
8 days. PM your financial info so I can manage it during the collapse.
PM sent with all PINs and SS info, please keep me posted I'm counting on you to save my fortune, cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I have to agree with Raymond here; many of my older friends told me stories about the Vietnam War time and things weren't all that great. Tho things COULD get real ugly between the growing anger against illegal aliens and Muslims.
I also agree with you Packard. I've always been a pretty tolerant person, but the past few months I've found myself becoming more and more intolerant of both groups. I feel a threat to the foundations of the country, and I don't know that it is really their fault, certainly not as individuals, but compounded by failure of the government to act to control things. I don't want to feel like or be a racist, but when it seems our very existence as Americans is at risk I question the future.

In my case I've lived in latin america (as a legal resident) so I feel I have gained the right to my opinions. My negativity toward Muslims stems from time spent in the mid east about 30 years ago, again not a very positive experience.

Last edited by jamies; 11-10-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I don't foresee a collapse, more like a gradual decline. As the rest of the world becomes like the U.S., the U.S. will become like the rest of the world. I think the percentage of poor, welfare dependent population will increase. We will have massive slums like you find in 3rd world countries. Wealth will become more concentrated. China will come in and buy up our major resources and corporations. Our money will become less valuable around the world. We'll default on our debt like we've seen other countries do.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I feel a threat to the foundations of the country, and I don't know that it is really their fault, certainly not as individuals, but compounded by failure of the government to act to control things. I don't want to feel like or be a racist, but when it seems our very existence as Americans is at risk I question the future.
You question because what we have said is;

All money was created equal. Man is born with no rights, until endowed by his creator, the market. We the people establish justice for the rich and a pipeline of slavery and criminal status for the poor. We secure domestic disruption with lack of basic services to those most in need, and provide a forceful army called the police for common defense, and secure the blessings of liberty to our top earners and their Posterity.

The Muslims while 800 years behind us, are at least honest about what type of system they have. Convert or it ain't so good for you.

We say; Produce or it ain't so good for you. But we lie with our constitutions and such.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If population trends continue, in 50 years the US will be majority Islamic. Europe will be in 30 years or less.
Easy to balance, allow more Latin Americans (Christians) in.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't foresee a collapse, more like a gradual decline. As the rest of the world becomes like the U.S., the U.S. will become like the rest of the world.
I foresee a one-world government. Just have to replace the regime in China, and a few other places, while further internationalizing the economy. Once all the economic interests, in every country in the world, find it more beneficial to support internationalism than any form of nationalism, national borders will crumble away.

It is why there is large-scale immigration, especially to Western nations, while the media attacks nationalism/patriotism incessantly, and pushes multiculturalism/tolerance.

I don't see any way to stop it honestly.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 PM

922 posts, read 805,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't foresee a collapse, more like a gradual decline. As the rest of the world becomes like the U.S., the U.S. will become like the rest of the world. I think the percentage of poor, welfare dependent population will increase. We will have massive slums like you find in 3rd world countries. Wealth will become more concentrated. China will come in and buy up our major resources and corporations. Our money will become less valuable around the world. We'll default on our debt like we've seen other countries do.

IDK, sure when the Soviet Union collapsed it was ugly at first but Russia is still a major power. America is built on nothing, when it goes down it will be a lot more severe. I think the country is gonna get divided up into smaller countries.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If population trends continue, in 50 years the US will be majority Islamic. Europe will be in 30 years or less.
Not sure if serious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies