Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:34 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
If you feel so strongly, you should dedicate time and financial resources to counseling the poor vulnerable at-risk population segments/groups to make what you consider the "right decision". Something very few prolife groups ever participate in doing.

Your impassioned prolife arguments are missing the point that it is not your decision. The choice to have an abortion is protected by law and is at the sole discretion of the would-be mother.
As a matter of fact, I do make sizeable contributions and dedicate time to assisting in the counseling and support of young pregnant teens. Your assumption regarding the actions of prolife people is absolutely wrong. There are many non-profit pregnancy crisis centers that are funded and served by volunteers that provide counsel and medical services free of charge to teens who are pregnant. Counseling goes beyond pushing them towards abortion and provides them with all the information they need to make an informed decision. That information includes letting them know about alternatives to killing their child and what support they can count on during and after the birth of their child thru the crisis centers and through governmental agencies that crisis center workers or volunteers assist the pregnant teen in navigating.

You have missed the entire point of my arguments. I never once said the decision to kill a human being was my decision. I said all life is precious. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"All life is precious".

Your thoughts on the death penalty?

Your thoughts on gay couples adopting?

At one time I was both pro-abortion and pro death penalty. I have come to realize that neither are compatible with the fact that all life is precious, therefore I no longer support the death penalty.

I think that a child is best served by growing up in a family environment that provides stability and the opportunity to experience the benefits of a mother and father in the rearing process.

I think a child is better off in a stable environment with two gay people than in a foster home or group home setting.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
At one time I was both pro-abortion and pro death penalty. I have come to realize that neither are compatible with the fact that all life is precious, therefore I no longer support the death penalty.
Great....I'm glad to read that. Maybe the first positive thing I've read in a long time.

Quote:
I think that a child is best served by growing up in a family environment that provides stability and the opportunity to experience the benefits of a mother and father in the rearing process.

I think a child is better off in a stable environment with two gay people than in a foster home or group home setting.
Carry on.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
All life is precious, regardless of what stage that life is at any point in time. Your defense that a woman can get fired if she gets pregnant. Which is illegal. Has no bearing on the value of life. The same woman can be fired for other reasons that are actually legal, so that is an absurd reason to destroy human life.

The woman is not "deciding for herself." She is deciding to end another human life. A life that was created and carries her DNA.

When did taking the life of a living being become an easier choice than offering that living being an opportunity to realize it's full potential?

Pro-abortion advocates always claim that killing a living being is better for them because the only alternative is being mistreated by adoptive parents, when we all know that the reality is that the majority of adopted children live a normal childhood and lead productive lives.

I never said the decision to place your child up for adoption was an easy one, but the reality is, killing your child should really not be an easy one either. The guilt a woman suffers from killing her child would certainly outweigh the guilt of a woman who chose to let her child live, but live with a more financially, emotionally and physically stable family.

The only way to ease the guilt and shame a woman suffers as a result of killing her progeny is to convince her that her child is not a living being, but a "choice," or "a blob of cells." This worked until technology caught up with the propaganda and has proven so much of that propaganda to be false.

The abortion advocates become rabid about this propaganda, more to assure themselves that they have not ended the life of their own offspring (the ultimate betrayal of a mother to her child) because they cannot deal with the guilt and immorality of their actions. It is easy to focus that anger onto the people that value your child's life more than you do and to demonize and ridicule them or judge and define them as evil and ignorant. Why? Because acknowledging that pro-life supporters see value in all life, including the one growing inside another woman, means dealing head on with the fact that someone else values the life of your offspring more than you do. That (other than a life threatening illness) the inconveniences of life are much more important than protecting your child and sacrificing to make sure that your child is given the opportunity to live the life that was breathed into it.
again all life is precious is subjective. yes, despite it being illegal to fire a woman because she is pregnant they do get fired. all an employer has to do is trump up a reason and she is gone. if she feels not having enough money is a good reason to abort then that is her choice. just because you think it isn't a good enough reason has no real input into her life or choice. what she think's is what's important.

as long as the fetus has to be inside her body, she has the right to say if it stays there or not. get it through your head, most women do not regret having an abortion. most think it was the right choice at the time.

women are not stupid we know what abortion is. we can call it what we want, blob of cells, a choice it matters not. we are not stupid we know we are terminating a pregnancy. anti choicers trying to make women feel guilty by calling her a murderer a baby killer and the rest does nothing for your side.

children should be wanted not endured. it is no one's business what a woman does with her own reproduction nor is it anyone's business how she controls it. mind your own uterus.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Recent studies from Finland have shown that women who've had abortions have a suicide rate over 3x higher than all women, and 6x higher than women who've given birth. Other studies have confirmed that abortion increases the suicide rate in women, as well as greatly raising the rate of alcohol and substance abuse.With depression and suicide so much higher in women who've aborted, its safe to assume that it has a huge negative effect on women.
Recent study? The one I found was footnoted: Suicides after pregnancy in Finland, 1987–94:

What all those studies fail to do is to find out if the woman was emotionally stable before she had an abortion, was she using drugs or alcohol, had she been treated for mental health disorders. Without asking those questions, the numbers are meaningless. But to bring you up to date, over 20 years later, UCSF did a study and found the following:

"Women who are denied an abortion feel more regret and less relief one week later than women who undergo the procedure"

Post Abortion-Syndrome: The Solution in Search of a Problem*|*Sarah Erdreich

http://prochoice.org/wp-content/uplo...ion_issues.pdf

https://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/gpr/09/3/gpr090308.html

So, with that hopefully you can relax and quit worrying so much about women who have abortions

Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm going to vote R, but one issue that's getting under my skin a little bit is the abortion debate and the stance of some of the R candidates.

I like a lot of what Rubio has to say, but his hardline stance on totally outlawing abortion is a major black mark on him (to me, at least).

Others don't think the Roe v Wade will ever be overturned no matter what the POTUS wants, but it's an issue I cringe at when discussed.
(I'm a prochoice, Catholic, socially liberal, fiscally conservative).
Don't be a single issue voter. Republicans need to win the next election so they can start dismantling civil rights laws, get more intrusive in our personal lives, let big money and big business do what they want. Let large factories pollute our water and air. The Republicans also want to dismantle Medicare and social security. They seem to like getting rid of public schools in favor of charter or religious schools. Last but not least stack the Supreme Court so fairness will never prevail. Your choice, Rubio is a young guy with old ideas. Most of the Republican candidates are crazier than my Aunt Esther. Think about it please. Lots of issues hinge on this election....

Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Don't be a single issue voter. Republicans need to win the next election so they can start dismantling civil rights laws, get more intrusive in our personal lives, let big money and big business do what they want.
Like they haven't the last 7 years.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
I did review the underlying study before I posted it.

So lets get back to your reasons for supporting the abortion of a living being. You claim that child birth is WAY deadlier than aborting a living being.

But, what about the other side effects of abortion?

Below is a description of the risks that have been associated with abortion:
  • Pelvic Infection: Bacteria (germs) from the vagina or cervix may enter the uterus and cause an infection. Antibiotics may clear up such an infection. In rare cases, a repeat suction, hospitalization or surgery may be needed. Infection rates are less than 1 percent for suction curettage, 1.5 percent for D&E and 5 percent for labor induction.
  • Incomplete abortion: Fetal parts or other products of pregnancy may not be completely emptied from the uterus, requiring further medical procedures. Incomplete abortion may result in infection and bleeding. The reported rate of such complications is less than 1 percent after a D&E; whereas, following a labor induction procedure, the rate may be as high as 36 percent.
  • Blood clots in the uterus: Blood clots that cause severe cramping occur in about 1 percent of all abortions. The clots usually are removed by a repeat suction curettage.
  • Heavy bleeding: Some amount of bleeding is common following an abortion. Heavy bleeding (hemorrhaging) is not common and may be treated by repeat suction, medication or, rarely, surgery. Ask the doctor to explain heavy bleeding and what to do if it occurs.
  • Cut or torn cervix: The opening of the uterus may be torn while it is being stretched open to allow medical instruments to pass through and into the uterus. This happens in less than 1 percent of first trimester abortions.
  • Perforation of the uterus wall: A medical instrument may go through the wall of the uterus. The reported rate is 1 out of every 500 abortions. Depending on the severity, perforation can lead to infection, heavy bleeding or both. Surgery may be required to repair the uterine tissue, and in the most severe cases a hysterectomy may be required.
  • Anesthesia-related complications: As with other surgical procedures, anesthesia increases the risk of complications associated with abortion. The reported risks of anesthesia-related complications is around 1 per 5,000 abortions.
  • Rh Immune Globulin Therapy: Genetic material found on the surface of red blood cells is known as the Rh Factor. If a woman and her fetus have different Rh factors, she must receive medication to prevent the development of antibodies that would endanger future pregnancies.
Abortion Risks - Department of Health & Hospitals | State of Louisiana
If you reviewed the study without reviewing those behind it or their agendas, you didn't do a very good job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From your own link:

Pregnancy Risks - Department of Health & Hospitals | State of Louisiana

WOW! Take a look at the risks of pregnancy......some of the same risks as abortion and a LOT more.....and far more dangerous.

Each individual woman gets to decide what risks she wants to take with her health, that's the way it is and that's the way it should be.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you reviewed the study without reviewing those behind it or their agendas, you didn't do a very good job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From your own link:

Pregnancy Risks - Department of Health & Hospitals | State of Louisiana

WOW! Take a look at the risks of pregnancy......some of the same risks as abortion and a LOT more.....and far more dangerous.

Each individual woman gets to decide what risks she wants to take with her health, that's the way it is and that's the way it should be.

I never said there were not risks to pregnancy. The reality is, there are more risks in abortion, more possible long term implications, than with pregnancy. As a pro-life advocate, I do accept that when the life of the mother in threatened, that her life should be the focus of saving, but those instances are VERY, VERY small. Yet, you use that as the key reason to advocate for the killing of a living being.

I believe that a woman should choose life first, that all women should be educated about the alternatives to killing their progeny. They should be made aware that there are support and advocacy groups for pregnant women and there are thousands of families that want to provide safe and loving homes to unwanted children. PP does not advocate for women when it comes to educating them on all their option. PP thinks that the only way to empower a woman is to encourage her decision to kill her child because they lead her to believe that is her ONLY option.

You cannot legislate compassion and morality, which is why abortion will always happen, regardless of legality or not. That will not stop me from advocating for life or supporting those clinics that advocate for life and seek to educate and support women who understand that abortion is the active taking of a human life and not a convenient way to avoid the consequences of their actions.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
I never said there were not risks to pregnancy. The reality is, there are more risks in abortion, more possible long term implications, than with pregnancy.
You need to do a bit more research:

CONCLUSION:
Legal induced abortion is markedly safer than childbirth. The risk of death associated with childbirth is approximately 14 times higher than that with abortion. Similarly, the overall morbidity associated with childbirth exceeds that with abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies