Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 08:52 PM

39,227 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, what I found really odd was that out of the seven military personnel, three were black... so 43% of the people in that illustration were AA. But aren't blacks only 12% of the overall American population? And according to this website, only 17.8% of our active military are black. Meanwhile, 74.6% are white and there are only two white people in that picture which equals 29%. So the Google picture is very misleading of our US military makeup and who we should be thanking.

Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military | Statistic Brain
honestly, I respect all veterans, I know I don't have what it takes to be in the military. So skin color is really a non issue. But I can understand why some people would have problems with this particular image. It is a fact that 80% of the veteran population are white.

That is why I think being overly pc really hurts everybody. Trying too hard just doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Actually, what I found really odd was that out of the seven military personnel, three were black... so 43% of the people in that illustration were AA. But aren't blacks only 12% of the overall American population? And according to this website, only 17.8% of our active military are black. Meanwhile, 74.6% are white and there are only two white people in that picture which equals 29%. So the Google picture is very misleading of our US military makeup and who we should be thanking.

But they didn't draw a cartoon to represent every single person in the US Military. Its a representation of the different people who have served, or continue to serve.

http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/f...marra-iraq.jpg

How did this picture happen?! Its 50% black people! There should always be 3 white men for every black men in any picture of the military!

Does that not sound weird to say? Well, maybe not to some people...

Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They made it into Diversity Veterans Day.

And? It means that the nation has a diversity of USA veterans. Military veterans of all backgrounds serving this country. I feel like Google is showing them more respect than the people complaining about the "diversity " part.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
again- you all so tied up in politics-- remember those who died -those who face danger as you type- and the 50,000 vets that are homeless today - if you had that much anger about that ...

Old 11-12-2015, 05:08 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
but the use of shading was great. it's as if the white guy in the background is saying, "hi. anyone remember me? when will a politician for president go after my demographic for voting purposes." you don't hear about politicians courting the white male vote. women, check. black, check. latinos, check.

They can`t.

White males are the demographic most likely to the pay income taxes and to also be ineligible for government programs used by current office holders to bribe net-non-tax-payers to vote for them.

Because of this, we are a lost demographic without representation by any organization capable of winning elections.

For any politician, including Republicans, to do anything beyond paying lip service to the concerns of this voting minority (excluding the donor class) that funds other people`s freebies is political suicide.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:

Maybe they were only looking at REMFs instead of combat troops. Could be logistics personnel.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
again- you all so tied up in politics-- remember those who died -those who face danger as you type- and the 50,000 vets that are homeless today - if you had that much anger about that ...
I agree that the complaint about the Google doodle is much ado about nothing. Just alot of whining. We should be more concerned with how our vets are treated.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 AM

241 posts, read 189,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
but the use of shading was great. it's as if the white guy in the background is saying, "hi. anyone remember me? when will a politician for president go after my demographic for voting purposes." you don't hear about politicians courting the white male vote. women, check. black, check. latinos, check.
Why would politicians want to "court" the white male vote when they don't make as much of a difference in elections and will continue to be a dying breed?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Google is 'the media'?
Google is definitely part of the media since they are a news aggregator as well as a search engine.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. You care, otherwise, you wouldn't be commenting on this thread or my post
No, I don't care in the slightest what you consider to be good art, and neither does anyone else. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote:
2. I don't get offended ,but I can certainly understand why some would find it "weird"
Then why are you complaining about it if you don't think it's weird?

Quote:
3. This is the problem of being overly PC, PC is a stupid movement, you can never please everybody, that is why. Don't try so hard.
No, you can't please anyone and I'm glad that the artist who illustrated yesterday's doodle didn't bother to worry about appeasing PC lunatics who think that some exact percentage of racial makeup is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies