Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 AM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not many. But most philosophy majors don't become philosophers. Many become lawyers, though.
You can get your bachelor's degree in literally anything and then go on to law school. I know a lawyer who got an electrical engineering degree before going to law school.

Part of Rubio's point is that they aren't directly using their philosophy degree in the field of philosophy. You are really using your law degree in this scenario.

Philosophy classes do have value. They just aren't as conducive to getting jobs. Being a trained welder opens up a lot of opportunities right now with only a 2 year training at a local community college.

Solely having a 4 year philosophy degree means you are likely like many of my students...working at Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:15 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Not many. But most philosophy majors don't become philosophers. Many become lawyers, though.
I always thought a lot of philo majors go on to divinity school and work in various religious institutions. In certain instances, they take a vow of poverty, so I guess their 'wages' wouldn't be counted?

Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 AM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
My first link, I quoted what a philosophy major makes, I'm not sure why it's relevant whether they landed a job in the philosophy field.

Those numbers don't match the Wall Street Journal link numbers, I suspect they're measuring different things.

They do NOT just compare philosophy professors. They also listed the median salary of philosophy major both at starting career and mid-career. Higher than welders.
You are not reading the actual data of the philosophy major average.

For example, look at the data. Look at the jobs. They are counting a Vice President of a company who has a Philosophy Bachelor's degree, and a MBA that is making 6 figures. Is he primarily using his MBA or his bachelor's degree to obtain his high salary? Is his job title "philosopher" or "Vice President of (fill in company name)."

If Bill Gates had a welding certification....would these same fact checkers allow me to use his salary to report what welders make?

The fact checkers are not comparing apples to apples and you know it.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 AM

35,671 posts, read 21,030,020 times
we need trades but we need to respect them and pay them. I had one mechanic son and now my youngest is a cable guy- he is doing well as he learned the phone systems etc - my mechanic was killed in an an accident and my retail son gets booted out after he starts making too much as mgr-- 10 yrs (Ft locker-) 7yrs (lows) - yea hes a good mgr- but they will not pay -- and when you hit that level-- adios

Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
No problem believing that. My nephew is now VP of a metal fab company (he started there as an entry level welder). They have to hire people that can't read a tape measure, let alone read a basic blueprint. Their "fabricators" measure and lay out everything. The "welders" come by later and just lay rod/wire. Hard to believe how far downhill our schools have gone over the decades. Maybe the worst part is something like 2/3 of those that apply can't even pass a drug test.

Those drug tests are useless. The only thing they are effective at screening for is the least dangerous drug, weed. You can go on a cocaine and heroin bender on Friday night and still pass a drug test on Monday morning, but if you took a couple of puffs off a joint two weeks ago at a party you'll fail. So, you know you're not getting even a casual pot smoker but you have no idea if you're getting a coke head, or a drunk for that matter.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are not reading the actual data of the philosophy major average.

For example, look at the data. Look at the jobs. They are counting a Vice President of a company who has a Philosophy Bachelor's degree, and a MBA that is making 6 figures. Is he primarily using his MBA or his bachelor's degree to obtain his high salary? Is his job title "philosopher" or "Vice President of (fill in company name)."
No, you're creating an artificial distinction. First, outside engineering a few other majors college majors are not strictly vocational majors; it's not that relevant whether the job title is "philosopher" (an MBA isn't a requirement for being a business executive either). You can't go to MBA school from welding school, you can with a philosophy degree. The 538 article mentioned philosophy majors have among the highest LSAT and GMAT scores, perhaps the major helped or at least reflected what they were already good at. A philosophy major gives one practice in critical thinking, writing and arguing. All useful things for being, say a lawyer; though he could have major in another field. Not in welding.

No, I'm not saying it's the most practical college major choice.

Quote:
The fact checkers are not comparing apples to apples and you know it.
No, I don't.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:21 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Another comparison:

According to PayScale.com, annual wages for people with B.A.s in philosophy range from $37,000 to $83,000. For welders, the site says the salary range is $23,000 to $63,000.

Philosophers Don’t Get Much Respect, But Their Earnings Don
That seems exceptionally low for the welders I know... most of the pipeline welders I know routinely make 150K......

Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
That seems exceptionally low for the welders I know... most of the pipeline welders I know routinely make 150K......
A lot of overtime in that number.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yea, I was surprised how low the welder number were, too.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
A lot of overtime in that number.
You say that like it's a bad thing? Where else can you work six months a year...take six months off and still make 150? It's all in your perspective......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies