Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

I'm all for it. Our brains aren't fully developed until we're about 25 years old.

I actually think it's absurd that all adults get to vote for president. The Founders were right in their suspicion of full democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 10:15 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I would support 21 for voting age and for draft age
in the event of conscription. 18 year olds should never be
forced to fight and never be allowed to vote.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:20 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I would agree being in the military should automatically qualify one to vote.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 797,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm all for it. Our brains aren't fully developed until we're about 25 years old.

I actually think it's absurd that all adults get to vote for president. The Founders were right in their suspicion of full democracy.
The argument of the founders was voting should be restricted to those who owned land. They would have never considered non-whites or women eligible to vote. I also doubt they would side with giving Cletus the right, but not letting a college educated professional. Each time a confused, blindly patriotic, conservative turns to the founding fathers to make a point, the ignorance is overwhelming. Its not the late 1700s anymore.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
The argument of the founders was voting should be restricted to those who owned land. They would have never considered non-whites or women eligible to vote. I also doubt they would side with giving Cletus the right, but not letting a college educated professional. Each time a confused, blindly patriotic, conservative turns to the founding fathers to make a point, the ignorance is overwhelming. Its not the late 1700s anymore.
I understand what the founders intended at the time. You don't need to lecture me on that. My point is that giving every single person in the country right to vote for president is silly. I believe the 17th amendment should be repealed as well. Go ahead and have a conniption now.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:14 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I keep reading it here where millennials are entitled spoiled brats but I haven't seen it in the real world. What I have seen is a very intelligent and tech savvy generation.
Oh, wow. No. They're the least intelligent, ever.
Quote:
"This exam, given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,” said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.”
U.S. millennials post "abysmal" scores - Washington Post

Old 11-15-2015, 04:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,009,648 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

Old 11-15-2015, 04:22 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Your microagression is stunting my ability to to fit in. The first amendment should be repealed

Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, wow. No. They're the least intelligent, ever.
U.S. millennials post "abysmal" scores - Washington Post
That test counts for nothing, doesn't impact graduation or college. Students don't take it seriously there have been many instances of students leaving it blank or marking all As for example.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

The author does have a point about a large segment of millenials however. They seem to believe they are entitled, spoiled brats, who have a right to never be offended. It's no coincidence that this same bloc of people put Obama in the White House twice.

It was actually the boomers who thought they were "entitled" to McMansions, and that crashed the economy. Millennials have no need for big houses, and I have yet to hear of a recession starting because of an "Iphone bubble." Honestly, what is with older people pointing at us for having $300 gizmos, while they went broke trying to flip a $350,000 house?

And it isn't like Boomers ever behaved like PC, liberal freaks...oh...wait...

These people represent ONE end of a spectrum of millennials. There are a bunch of us on the other end of the spectrum who are more anti-PC culture than the boomers ever were. There is a reason why "cultural libertarianism" is an almost entirely Gen-X and Millennial phenomenon.

And they only voted for Obama because of social issues. This generation is actually NOT interesting in "free stuff"

"The millennial generation is the most financially conservative since the Great Depression, according to a new study."

Study: Millennial generation most fiscally cautious since Depression - latimes

https://reason.com/poll/2014/07/10/5...te-for-a-socia

Edit: The boomer generation brought us "love ins" and "social justice..." The older generation INVENTED this PC crap, it's just that a few very vocal members of my generation shout it at the top of their lungs.

What did my generation create? What is exclusively theirs? Many things but, one thing in particular shows that we are not NEARLY as PC as that article would have you believe.

One word... 4chan

Just take my word on it, or just read about it, but don't actually partake in it. Trust me, somethings seen cannot be unseen.

But I do wonder what would have happened if those boomer hippies would have seen that thing in their youths? They would have probably cried back to daddy McGovern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies